World Cup Refereeing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

World Cup Refereeing

Post by Grimlish »

Is this the right way to deal with refs during such an important competition?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49810476
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: World Cup Refereeing

Post by Mark62 »

No problem with it, they are seen to be addressing what is undoubtedly a problem
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

If only Premiership Rugby could do this instead of hiding behind a wall and punishing Murphy for their insolence. Yes what he said was wrong but I believe he was right to be angry.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

But it is a problem for which they too are responsible in part. Blaming the refs at this stage if it were done by a team manager would be classed as bringing the game into disrepute and as undermining their authority. It may be right that standards have been low. I thought Garces was demonstrating huge ego on Saturday in the NZ v SA game - reffing what he wanted to see not what was happening - and the French/Argentinian game was similar: It didn't surprise me that emotions erupted when clear penalties were ignored especially at the death.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I was shocked to see the announcement but I can't say I disagree, hopefully it'll lead to more vigilance from the officials. The Hodge missed red might be the worst reffing decision I've seen since Craig Joubert robbed Scotland, and at least then nobody was physically hurt.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Grimlish wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:21 pm But it is a problem for which they too are responsible in part. Blaming the refs at this stage if it were done by a team manager would be classed as bringing the game into disrepute and as undermining their authority. It may be right that standards have been low. I thought Garces was demonstrating huge ego on Saturday in the NZ v SA game - reffing what he wanted to see not what was happening - and the French/Argentinian game was similar: It didn't surprise me that emotions erupted when clear penalties were ignored especially at the death.
Having watched the Russia v Samoa game on ITV4 today I am amazed that no one was seriously injured and the comments on World Cup Refereeing standards must be directed at today's referee Romain Poite who convinced the TMO that the two serious tackles on poor Vasily Artemyev by Rey Lee-lo and Motu Matu'u were deemed yellow not a certain red as Vasily was deemed to dipping his head. I cannot see Romain being involved in the top matches on that performance as they were both in my mind clear reds.
No I may have missed something serious - quote " It didn't surprise me that emotions erupted when clear penalties were ignored especially at the death." I had not realised there was a fatality in the French v Argentinian game however I did miss that game. RIP! :smt010
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

And we moan about state of Sirs in Prem.!!!!

Week in week out we question player safety with neck and head hits/rolls. Not attempting/wrapping arms in tackle.
Sadly missing in World Cup.
It appears the Southern Hemisphere Sirs does not consider this as an issue.

I hope no player gets a serious injury during this World Cup.
Stable and horse come to mind :smt013 :smt013
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

It was a French ref for the Samoa game...

It does seem like the refs have been told to use more common sense/give less red cards if the tackled player ducks which I assume is a response to the complaints about many red cards last season that seemed harsh/borderline ridiculous. And now it seems like World Rugby have backtracked as soon as refs start using yellow cards instead of red if a player is ducking.

I'm talking about the first yellow in the Samoa v Russia game in particular. It was definitely an odd decision but Poite wouldn't have even considered the Russia player ducking last season. But now we hear all the refs considering the circumstances more which has to have come from above.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

The commentators applauded the tackle on Vunipola, no mention of it being a shoulder charge with no arms so it is not just the refs who seem to be able to turn a blind eye
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I appreciate that the ref for Samoan game was French. R.Ps' reffing has been on a downward spiral for the past three seasons and IMHO should not have been considered for this International season.

My concern is the disconnect between what is acceptable level of reffing -v- player safety, which we see week in/out in the Prem.
Then a new set of criteria for World Cup/ International matches.

Has the Prem got player safety correct and the rest of the World has to catch up?
Or
Has the World got it right, all to make the game more entertaining without protection for player welfare?

By evidence of yellow -v- red I'd say the latter.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

I thought Poite looked nervous and/or uncertain. Seemed to me that a ref who was a breath of fresh air when he first came through was no longer able to function at his previous level precisely because of the protocols and because of the pressures that the censure of refs by World Rugby during the competition were adding. Both cards should have been red under current regulations imo. Whether those regs are right seems to have become a political matter AND to be influencing the way that otherwise good refs go about their business.
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

I just have a horrible feeling it will be England that get the wrong end of these red cards in a knock out game.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Ugo Monye in today’s Grauniad.

“Referees are not robots and need more help on dangerous tackles”.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... ugo-monye

World Rugby should not have spoken publicly to criticise referees during the competition...