TMO question

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

northerntiger
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:03 am

TMO question

Post by northerntiger » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:27 pm

I may have missed something, but when did the question the ref asks change. Noticed this World Cup that instead of the "any reason I cannot " type questions now they are saying " on field decision is/not a try". Better in my opinion

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: TMO question

Post by Mark62 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:09 pm

It is better and perhaps in line with the cricket system, which is my decision is this give me a reason to over turn it.

As you say for Manus try had he said on field decision is no try there wasn’t any evidence to overturn it

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4011
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: TMO question

Post by strawclearer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:23 pm

northerntiger wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:27 pm
I may have missed something, but when did the question the ref asks change. Noticed this World Cup that instead of the "any reason I cannot " type questions now they are saying " on field decision is/not a try". Better in my opinion
Agreed. As I've said many times, the question should be "This is my decision - you've got 20 seconds to stop me making a prat of myself!"
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Stay Home>Protect The NHS>Save Lives

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1255
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:53 am

Re: TMO question

Post by CitizenSmiff » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:44 pm

northerntiger wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:27 pm
I may have missed something, but when did the question the ref asks change. Noticed this World Cup that instead of the "any reason I cannot " type questions now they are saying " on field decision is/not a try". Better in my opinion
It's the style of question they use in the Super 15, seems to make things a bit clearer I agree.

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 758
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:56 am

Re: TMO question

Post by wellstiger » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:53 am

Also used for a few years now in Rugby League.

I liked this version better as it makes clearer what the ref believes happened , but allows TMO to overturn or agree.
I would extend it to the TMO explaining his decision as in RL. Then every one is accountable.
And it takes no longer time to make that decision.

Cagey Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1896
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: South Lincolnshire

Re: TMO question

Post by Cagey Tiger » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:53 am

I heard this used last season, can't remember which competition(s) though.

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: TMO question

Post by Mark62 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:26 pm

Slightly different tack. 2 very close tmo calls in Russia v Samoa this morning both given yellows. Bayfield and his crew in the studio felt both should have been red

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 pm
Location: Thurnby Lodge

Re: TMO question

Post by Jimmy Skitz » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:36 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:26 pm
Slightly different tack. 2 very close tmo calls in Russia v Samoa this morning both given yellows. Bayfield and his crew in the studio felt both should have been red
what channel was that on, didn't show in my EPG nor is it showing on ITV Hub

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: TMO question

Post by Mark62 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:11 pm

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:36 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:26 pm
Slightly different tack. 2 very close tmo calls in Russia v Samoa this morning both given yellows. Bayfield and his crew in the studio felt both should have been red
what channel was that on, didn't show in my EPG nor is it showing on ITV Hub
ITV 4. I think that’s where they are putting some of the minor games. Highlights are on YouTube

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 pm
Location: Thurnby Lodge

Re: TMO question

Post by Jimmy Skitz » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:07 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:11 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:36 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:26 pm
Slightly different tack. 2 very close tmo calls in Russia v Samoa this morning both given yellows. Bayfield and his crew in the studio felt both should have been red
what channel was that on, didn't show in my EPG nor is it showing on ITV Hub
ITV 4. I think that’s where they are putting some of the minor games. Highlights are on YouTube
I looked as well and there was nothing listed, annoying

Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:55 pm
Location: Birmingham / Bangor Uni

Re: TMO question

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:44 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:26 pm
Slightly different tack. 2 very close tmo calls in Russia v Samoa this morning both given yellows. Bayfield and his crew in the studio felt both should have been red
And a missed headbutt.

Samoa could (should?) have been down to 12 for all of the second half

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1369
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:23 pm
Location: "The Home of the Game!"

Re: TMO question

Post by wormus » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:09 am

Mark62 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:11 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:36 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:26 pm
Slightly different tack. 2 very close tmo calls in Russia v Samoa this morning both given yellows. Bayfield and his crew in the studio felt both should have been red
what channel was that on, didn't show in my EPG nor is it showing on ITV Hub
ITV 4. I think that’s where they are putting some of the minor games. Highlights are on YouTube
ITV4 (freeview 24) are showing the Italy v Canada ko 8:45 on Thurs 26th but ITV1 for England v USA ko 11:45.
Generally if a game is not on ITV1 channel 3 then it is on ITV4.

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2827
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:30 pm
Location: Lincoln

Re: TMO question

Post by Hot_Charlie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:57 am

northerntiger wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:27 pm
I may have missed something, but when did the question the ref asks change. Noticed this World Cup that instead of the "any reason I cannot " type questions now they are saying " on field decision is/not a try". Better in my opinion
It changed last season I think, certainly in Test matches. Much better IMHO. The ref gives a decision and the TMO has to present compelling evidence to change it.

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1369
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:23 pm
Location: "The Home of the Game!"

Re: TMO question

Post by wormus » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:42 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:11 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:36 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:26 pm
Slightly different tack. 2 very close tmo calls in Russia v Samoa this morning both given yellows. Bayfield and his crew in the studio felt both should have been red
what channel was that on, didn't show in my EPG nor is it showing on ITV Hub
ITV 4. I think that’s where they are putting some of the minor games. Highlights are on YouTube
So ITV4 freeview Channel 24 are showing the following ~
Wednesday 2nd Oct. k.o 8-45 France v USA 08:15 - 10:45, NZ v Canada ko 11-15 10:45 - 13:30.
Thurs. 3rd, Georgia v Fiji ko 06-15 05:45 - 08:30
Fri 4th South Africa v Italy ko 10-45 10:15 - 13:30
Tues. 8th South Africa v Canada ko 11-15 10:25 - 13:30
I believe all others are on ITV1 including Sat 5th England v Argentina ko - 09-00 08:10 - 11:15
All subject to the ITV schedulers of course! :smt023

BengalTiger
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:16 am

Re: TMO question

Post by BengalTiger » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:56 am

What qualifification is needed to be a TMO?

I am left wondering after the, I dot, in the van for the England - Australia match saw no forward pass for the late Australia try!

Luckily it did not matter and that the ref saw it in real time and only had to glance at the screen to see it a yard forward and he dismissed the TMO's comment and ruled the try out but you have to ask what is the selection criteria?
I though some level eyesight would be mandatory and an understanding of the pricipals of the game if not some of the rules.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DaveRave, neilf and 2 guests