PRC Round 1 - Warriors vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: PRC Round 1 - Warriors vs Tigers

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

norfolkexpat wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:59 pm Tigers should never be in a position where they lose to Worcester in any competition. Murphy is on borrowed time, as are lot of the players today. Looking at it from a different angle, would Sarries infantas and stiffs lose toWorcester.. no they :censored: well wouldn't... another few months of mediocrity until we get a new Board and Coach.
Tigers fans should not compare us to Saracens. They are much better than us currently. We need to re-build to get to their level. Looking at it from another angle, are our youngsters being given opportunities (which is what people have been crying out for) to learn from? Yes they :censored: well are. Another few weeks until the season really starts and I can’t wait!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

norfolkexpat wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:59 pm Tigers should never be in a position where they lose to Worcester in any competition. Murphy is on borrowed time, as are lot of the players today. Looking at it from a different angle, would Sarries infantas and stiffs lose toWorcester.. no they :censored: well wouldn't... another few months of mediocrity until we get a new Board and Coach.
Well Sarries lost to Worcester as recently as May and in the Prem as well.

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/2019/0 ... -saracens/
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Perspective 0 Moaning 1.
That's the result on here :smt013
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:52 pm Perspective 0 Moaning 1.
Absolutely JG
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:57 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:52 pm Perspective 0 Moaning 1.
Absolutely JG
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Good evening from the last upright barstool in the Wilted Daffodil.

I've been reading the posts with interest. Someone mentioned that LI, Sale and Wooster put strong sides out today? Could it be that these teams are fighting a different battle to the rest of us? They don't have so many at the RWC?

We need to find out who is good enough to step up when the top rankers are out playing 6N, are rested, or are missing due to injury. I'd sooner Murph (or Deacs) found this out in this competition than in the premiership. I'll judge the team's progress once that starts up.

Now can we allow those entrusted to prepare for the premiership season do just that?

Goodnight and God bless.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I will judge the season at its end not after 80 minutes, where we finish up & how is what this season is about.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:13 am I will judge the season at its end not after 80 minutes, where we finish up & how is what this season is about.
Great post
Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Post by Truefollower »

We are 1 game in and the same old cynics are moaning already, 4 years of downward momentum and a return to the top table after 1 pre-season game is expected! If you want to follow a league winning side change your allegiance, if you want to follow a team that is trying to improve and re-establish internal systems and team spirit and performance then stay. This is a long journey not a day trip.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We will see a more mixed team on Friday methinks, because of the short turnaround i doubt few will play Friday (Polota-Nau, McPhilips, Boladau and Wells might).
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I went to the match and the difference in level of experience between the two sides was obvious. Both clubs have similar size squads but Tigers start by having 10 or twelve unavailable due to World Cup or other commitments. We, rightly or wrongly have not had pre-season games so are using the pool stage of this competition to give everyone game time. About seven of our players were born this century and several more in 1999 and they performed creditably. There were times that we were through but failed to make that last pass as white line fever struck and there were times that support runs were in the wrong place. There were too many breaks through our midfield and I am sure the coaches will be looking at why that happened, from where I sat I couldn't see why the penalty try was given. Despite a heavy score against we were still putting the effort in at the end and our final try was well deserved. I have deliberately not mentioned individual players but in my opinion several of the young lads on display will have learned from this run out and will figure prominently for Tigers in the future although we may have to wait two or three years to see them regularly performing.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The official Tigers commentary was also unsure as to why the penalty try was given.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I will, as I have for over 40 years support Tigers home and away through thick and thin. Tigers do need time to rebuild but, in my opinion, putting teams out that are likely to get a drubbing does nothing at all to improve the confidence of anyone playing or coaching. One of the things admitted in the review of last season was the players weren’t up to speed by not using preseason game to establish defensive alignment, partnerships, fitness etc. Well, we have a much changed squad and now only 3 games left to get ready for Worcester in the league so, yes, some of us are a little concerned about not putting out a blend of players, inexperience and more senior. I back Murphy to get it right but, like others, was surprised at the team put out.
Credit to Worcester, they mixed their squad up and I would imagine their less experienced players feel pretty dam good. No one questions the effort put in yesterday, but as Cockerill used to say, “ I put out the team I thought could win. They didn’t so blame me.”
You only have to look at the excellent back play by our Tiger players today to see that if our pack can get good ball Tigers can be a force. How were Manu, Fordy and Youngs introduced to the “
1st fifteen, it was carefully done with experienced players around them.
Our youngsters, including those who played yesterday, have real talent which will help Tigers to become a force again if they are given the confidence to do so.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:11 pm I will, as I have for over 40 years support Tigers home and away through thick and thin. Tigers do need time to rebuild but, in my opinion, putting teams out that are likely to get a drubbing does nothing at all to improve the confidence of anyone playing or coaching. One of the things admitted in the review of last season was the players weren’t up to speed by not using preseason game to establish defensive alignment, partnerships, fitness etc. Well, we have a much changed squad and now only 3 games left to get ready for Worcester in the league so, yes, some of us are a little concerned about not putting out a blend of players, inexperience and more senior. I back Murphy to get it right but, like others, was surprised at the team put out.
Credit to Worcester, they mixed their squad up and I would imagine their less experienced players feel pretty dam good. No one questions the effort put in yesterday, but as Cockerill used to say, “ I put out the team I thought could win. They didn’t so blame me.”
You only have to look at the excellent back play by our Tiger players today to see that if our pack can get good ball Tigers can be a force. How were Manu, Fordy and Youngs introduced to the “
1st fifteen, it was carefully done with experienced players around them.
Our youngsters, including those who played yesterday, have real talent which will help Tigers to become a force again if they are given the confidence to do so.
That drip feeding was done in the Premiership after strong performances in lesser competitions such as the A league where Leicester were once extremely strong.
It's not the Leicester approach yesterday that should be criticised.
The Leicester coaches get the stick when it's not really their methods alone that deserve the negative focus as in my opinion it's the Worcester approach that should also be criticised.
If the Worcester coaches moan once this season about injuries or that their established first team players are overplayed or tired then they need reminding of yesterday when there was no real need to play them.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Highlights now on Youtube, some tackling was pretty weak in midfield, there was a forward pass in one of Worcester’s try and the penalty try was pointless.

Liked our two tries though, we just need to score more and concede less.