Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:09 am
sapajo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:17 am It was confirmed at last nights supporters meeting that Liebenberg is Denton's replacement
Makes sense, if you think of the backrowers who’ve left and the incoming replacements.

Williams - Taufua
Denton - Liebenberg
O’Connor - Reffell
Evans - Coghlan
Mapapalangi - Lewis
Tuilagi - N/A

Expecting big things from Reffell next season, really has the ability and leadership to make a mark on the squad. Given we only have 4 locks could see us still being on the lookout for a backrower post the World Cup, any Pacific Island bolters.
Green, Wells, Spencer, Lavanini, plus Jordan and Lewis.

Tevita Ratuva of Fiji I believe could be available, not sure how is contracted to Bordeaux but I think it was only a developmental contract.
McGinity was with the SRU whilst Viliame Mata, Senitike Nayolo, Mesulame Kanavula and Eroni Sau all joined Edinburgh. So he will certainly have connections with the Fiji Sevens set-up.

Tigers have good locks coming through in Jordan and George Martin. Martin will be the same age next season as Itoje, Isiekwe and Kpoku were respectively when they first started benching for Sarries. Importantly Sarries work their youngsters into strong sides with First XV players surrounding them though. Something that Tigers can certainly improve on.

It seems that Lewis will be concentrating on blindside rather than lock. I'm really happy with that as his pace will be a big asset in the back row. I'm really happy with the overall move to faster flankers for next season. Taufua, Thompson, Coghlan and Lewis all have real pace.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks Sam
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:42 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:47 am How can Liebenberg be Denton's replacement? They did not know Denton was definitely retiring when they purchased him. So surely there's Denton's salary money left in the kitty
A) Tigers may have known for some time he would retire and so chose to announce it at a mutually beneficial time.
B) If Denton didn't play his salary wouldn't count towards the cap. Even if he hadn't have retired it was more than evident he wasn't going to be fit to resume playing again this year so Tigers reinvested the money in someone they knew should be fit and raring to go.
I think it’s also partially the club effectively taking a gamble that Denton would be retiring, or at least unavailable for a significant time longer. They probably couldn’t afford to wait until a decision was reached before putting an offer on the table to Liebenberg, otherwise they risked missing out.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

See the rugby paper are reporting that McGinity has been in Australia talking to player agents to strengthen the squad for 2020-21 season.
Was wondering what players are apparently out of contract next season and who might we might be planning to replace etc.

Polota-Nau
Stevens
Cole
Cortes
Genge
Kalamafoni
B.Youngs
Ford
May
Thompstone
I'm pretty sure are

Also potentially but not that sure on
T.Youngs
Eastmond
Hills
Worth
Veainu

Harrison is apparently off mid season.

Aus world cup players out of contract at that time
Tolu Latu
James slipper
Jack Dempsey
David Pocock
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
Tevita Kuridrani
Reece Hodge
Kurtley Beale
not sure on the players who have signed for Japanese clubs.
You also have players like Speight, Pete Samu and Luke Jones.

It will be interesting to see what happens really with the club.
That's a lot of cap in the players out of contract.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:50 pm Aus world cup players out of contract at that time
Tolu Latu
James slipper
Jack Dempsey
David Pocock
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
Tevita Kuridrani
Reece Hodge
Kurtley Beale
Pocock is probably going to be retiring at the end of this season I'd imagine, as for the others none of those players particularly stand out to me as quality additions
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Latu played well against Fiji, Salakaia-Loto (formerly Tui) is a good player, Samu is not bad either.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Getting Allan Alalaatoa would be a good replacement for Cortes/Cole.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:55 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:50 pm Aus world cup players out of contract at that time
Tolu Latu
James slipper
Jack Dempsey
David Pocock
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
Tevita Kuridrani
Reece Hodge
Kurtley Beale
Pocock is probably going to be retiring at the end of this season I'd imagine, as for the others none of those players particularly stand out to me as quality additions
Pocock will stay in Japan post world cup and complete the last year of his club contract there. Not sure he'd be the kind of signing we'd need given the options we have at openside coming through. If we were looking for a Thompson 7/8 replacement then Sean McMahon would be the one as he looks Pocock's successor but I'd have thought he'd head back to Aus after his stint in Japan. Though his story is an odd one and if those bridges are burnt who knows.

I'd have thought we'd need a new hooker as I think it's likely Tom Youngs will retire at the end of this season and TPN will head to Japan where he can play many more shorter seasons for good money. Who knows what our plans are with Jimmy Stevens.

I'd also assume that Ben, Dan, Worth, Ford and May will all be retained or we will endeavour to retain these as best we can. Thompstone depending on how he goes this season. Genge will have a good contract on offer but probably a lot of others from elsewhere and I'm not sure he's as emotionally attached to the club as some of the others.

So a hooker or two and a replacement for Kalamafoni. If Cortes goes I doubt we'll spend big on a replacement with the likely retention of Cole, Leitagaga and Heyes all around. Not sure Australia is the best place to go if we're prop shopping anyway. If there's a physical utility back available that would be a good acquisition, Reece Hodge would do but not sure he'd want to give up on his international aspirations.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:28 pm Not sure Australia is the best place to go if we're prop shopping anyway.
Amen! :smt003
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:06 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:28 pm Not sure Australia is the best place to go if we're prop shopping anyway.
Given the last one, I'm not sure Australia is the best place to go for any player!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

northerntiger wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:28 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:06 pm
Given the last one, I'm not sure Australia is the best place to go for any player!
Which one? TPN who's been a mixed bag or Toomua who in his three seasons was injured, very good and poor. We've had more luck in the past, that Pat Howard chap did ok as did his mate Rod Kafer.

Now if he's in Australia it's a short hop over to Fiji etc and there's some propping stock there.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

just because we are scouting in Australia doesn't mean the players we are looking at are
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Mullins has just mentioned during Russia vs Samoa commentary that Jordan Taufua is 'bedding in at Leicester' rather than appear for Samoa, could mean we see him sooner than expected? Anybody heard anything similar?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:43 am Mullins has just mentioned during Russia vs Samoa commentary that Jordan Taufua is 'bedding in at Leicester' rather than appear for Samoa, could mean we see him sooner than expected? Anybody heard anything similar?
Heard that. Pretty sure Nick Mullins is wrong as Jordan was at 8 for Tasmin over the weekend.
I’ve tweeted Nick to let him know :smt023
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:43 am Mullins has just mentioned during Russia vs Samoa commentary that Jordan Taufua is 'bedding in at Leicester' rather than appear for Samoa, could mean we see him sooner than expected? Anybody heard anything similar?
I wouldn't read anything into it, he also said TJ Ione is heading to London Irish from Sale after the World Cup and i'm 99% sure TJ Ione has been at London Irish for at least 1 season already