LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by TigerMac3 »

Denton retires. Sad news. Long term health comes first however.

From the SRFU website: “My actual reaction at the time my neurologist told me it was no longer a good idea to play rugby... to be honest there was a bit of relief.

This had been building up inside of me for four to five months.

"I knew there was a strong possibility that this moment (when I had to retire) was coming."

"By the time I got to it, I had been through all the emotional highs and lows, so I was prepared for it.”

“Of course, it is devastating that my rugby career is ending. After a few years where I had a series of injuries, I had got myself back into a position where I felt, physically and mentally, that I could play the best rugby of my career.”
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Very sad news re Denton but what a lot of people have been expecting.
Of course his health must come first, best of luck to him in all his future endeavours
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We all saw this coming, terrible terrible news to be rid of the thing you love, your profession, but his safety had to come first.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

very sad for him but from a Tigers POV I hope they had planned for this
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

From their signings I suspect they had known of this for a long time, and also expect another signing post WC.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Was going to say does anybody know if Denton's cap space was already spent or if there is now room for a reasonable replacement ?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I suspect Boladau’s contract maybe extended for a season loan depending on how he performs... in terms of World Cup ... Amosa is an up-and-coming international No8 for Samoa but unfortunately is already well established in the French circuits (currently plays for Bordeaux) and will cost a fair bob.

Canada’s Tyler Ardron or Evan Olmstead could be swayed by Stanko?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Kwagga Smith was rumoured to be coming to a premiership club. Argentina also have some young backrowers like Kremer and Bruni who also could be good additions.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:14 pm Kwagga Smith was rumoured to be coming to a premiership club. Argentina also have some young backrowers like Kremer and Bruni who also could be good additions.
I think Smith's agent had originally touted him about as an income topper for RWC cover. That plan presumably got axed now he's featuring internationally.

It might depend on how the coaches view the development players. There are a fair few who could fill the gaps around the first team squad and after the RWC we're unlikely to be hit by 6N call ups in the backrow.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:44 pm Was going to say does anybody know if Denton's cap space was already spent or if there is now room for a reasonable replacement ?
He was contracted to us for this season so I suspect his cap space may become free, otherwise we’d have been in injury dispensation territory. You wonder if the timing of the announcement is not a coincidence being the week of the formal season start?

Either way, very disappointing and saddening news.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

JP14 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:59 pm I suspect Boladau’s contract maybe extended for a season loan depending on how he performs... in terms of World Cup ... Amosa is an up-and-coming international No8 for Samoa but unfortunately is already well established in the French circuits (currently plays for Bordeaux) and will cost a fair bob.

Canada’s Tyler Ardron or Evan Olmstead could be swayed by Stanko?
Ardron contracted to Chiefs until 2021 Super Rugby season. Maybe a lesser known Fijian out there to be picked up from Jan McGinty’s contacts?
Sad news about Denton though, but a decision he seems to have been waiting for, and already absorbed. Seemed to have found some form for us early. Best decision in the long run for him and his family though.
Sad to see anyone’s career cut short by incidents out of their control, but seems to be happening more and more often as the players get bigger and faster, and as such so do the collisions.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I wouldn't bank on Dentons cap being free.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:51 pm I wouldn't bank on Dentons cap being free.
Sadly none of us are salary cap experts. Of course if there was an element of “timing” (the least important thing in the big scheme of things), it would be advantageous to have a decision made before the cap is “set in stone”/declared for the season etc, as a club would be free of the limitations imposed on bring in an injury dispensation (essentially free to bring in anyone?).

But these are murky waters, and in the situation, trivial administrative considerations compared to a human being’s long term health.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

If a player doesn't play for an entire season their salary is exempt from the cap. The regs are a painful thing to read through but that much is clear.

I suspect RB is more implying that contract extensions and wage increases may have taken up much of Denton's cap already. From what I've heard he wasn't on a big wage either. His stock had fallen in his time at Bath and he chose Leicester partly due to a 3-year contract being offered.

He was in great form prior to injury, had it not been for the concussion Dave could have been one of Tigers shrewdest bits of recruitment for years. Such a shame.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:58 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:51 pm I wouldn't bank on Dentons cap being free.
Sadly none of us are salary cap experts. Of course if there was an element of “timing” (the least important thing in the big scheme of things), it would be advantageous to have a decision made before the cap is “set in stone”/declared for the season etc, as a club would be free of the limitations imposed on bring in an injury dispensation (essentially free to bring in anyone?).

But these are murky waters, and in the situation, trivial administrative considerations compared to a human being’s long term health.
Talking to people at the back end of last season, I was reassured that DD's physical health and emotional well-being were the highest priorities. Sadly though, he couldn't run without getting a headache and they knew that he was very unlikely to play again. I'm no salary cap expert either but it was evident that they were!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives