Youngs injured in pub brawl

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by johnthegriff »

I suggest people actually read the article before commenting, the version I read stated that a Tiger's player (Bateman) was punched and that no Tigers player retaliated, it also said that glasses were thrown but not that it was our boys doing the throwing.
I remember that when Deano took over a disunited team from Bob Dwyer he organised a three legged race around the ground with a drink in each of our eleven bars along with other bonding sessions in pubs which was followed by seven major trophies in five years. We have released 19 players and replaced them with new signings, the lads need to get to know each other as mates not just work colleagues and they will do that by relaxing in each others company which may or may not involve alcohol.
This year we are playing in the lovely friendly town of Pau, on our last visit following our victory over there fans and player alike had a party in the Black Bear with players diving off the balcony trusting team mates to catch them ad Pat Howard doing a strip tease on a table in the bar, high jinks, bad behaviour maybe but we went onto win a play-off after topping the league and won the Heineken Cup.
I am all for a bit of the traditional bonding that I enjoyed when I played the game at my comparatively low level, for me this is good team management and I am looking forward to the coming season even more then before. Come on You Tigers!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 pm I suggest people actually read the article before commenting, the version I read stated that a Tiger's player (Bateman) was punched and that no Tigers player retaliated, it also said that glasses were thrown but not that it was our boys doing the throwing.
I remember that when Deano took over a disunited team from Bob Dwyer he organised a three legged race around the ground with a drink in each of our eleven bars along with other bonding sessions in pubs which was followed by seven major trophies in five years. We have released 19 players and replaced them with new signings, the lads need to get to know each other as mates not just work colleagues and they will do that by relaxing in each others company which may or may not involve alcohol.
This year we are playing in the lovely friendly town of Pau, on our last visit following our victory over there fans and player alike had a party in the Black Bear with players diving off the balcony trusting team mates to catch them ad Pat Howard doing a strip tease on a table in the bar, high jinks, bad behaviour maybe but we went onto win a play-off after topping the league and won the Heineken Cup.
I am all for a bit of the traditional bonding that I enjoyed when I played the game at my comparatively low level, for me this is good team management and I am looking forward to the coming season even more then before. Come on You Tigers!
Well said, where’s that like button when you need it.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 pm I suggest people actually read the article before commenting, the version I read stated that a Tiger's player (Bateman) was punched and that no Tigers player retaliated, it also said that glasses were thrown but not that it was our boys doing the throwing.
I copy and paste from the version that was linked at the start of this thread...

“Once the melee moved outside, glasses were thrown by both sides. Youngs placed himself at the front of the group of players and stood with his hands outstretched as if attempting to defuse the situation, even as glasses were hitting him.”

I don’t think the Mail is an honest or reliable source of information, but this is what I read and responded to. As I said IF....
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Just seen a pic of OTY - looks nasty

Update: A still taken apparently from the 'Youngs Farm Produce' Fb page. It's certainly Tom but v poor quality and undated so - pinch of salt!
Last edited by strawclearer on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

How bizzare, 2 yrs ago I was in that same pub watching Tigers play on TV on a Saturday afternoon.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:11 pm
Well said, where’s that like button when you need it.
Never going to happen. How many years since the current format of the forum was introduced? Just checked, a few months over 2 years. There was a fair amount of feedback, with numerous suggestions for improvement, such as a like button.

"We're busy on the app at the moment and will get back later". A load of spherical objects.
Last edited by Cagey Tiger on Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Any one for a beer then ?????? :smt062
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

The coverage this got always annoys me slightly as I can imagine what would have been said and done by the press had it been the Leicester City players rather than Tigers, even if they had acted in exactly the same way
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

Was in Vilamoura today. No sign of any badly behaved rugby players.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

DaveRave wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:34 pm Was in Vilamoura today. No sign of any badly behaved rugby players.
Strange that they find a bloke doing a few pull ups in a bar offensive and yet it's fine for some porker in budgie smugglers to do push ups right in front of you on the beach when there are miles of sand unoccupied.
It's one of Tony Blair's most favourite countries to visit, say no more!
tigertone
Tiger Cub

Post by tigertone »

What has Tony Blair got to do with it???
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

tigertone wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:33 pm What has Tony Blair got to do with it???
Who knows, be fun to watch him attempt pull ups though :smt044
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

tigertone wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:33 pm What has Tony Blair got to do with it???
IT was just a personal thing.
I've seen far stranger and more offensive things than pull ups accepted in Portugal, Blair being one of them.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Tigers team get drunk then get beaten up by some Portugese bouncers? Not a good start to the season I'd say.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

G.K wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:52 pm Tigers team get drunk then get beaten up by some Portugese bouncers? Not a good start to the season I'd say.
Alternatively- Tigers team had a great bonding session in Portugal and showed their togetherness. Looks promising for the new season.