Youngs injured in pub brawl

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by JP14 »

Seems like the players enjoyed their hospitality too much last night, and there was an altercation with some men but Murphy has said they shouldn’t be charges. This is according to the Mail.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by sam16111986 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... -camp.html

Sounds like the Tigers lads were having a boisterous night out and security decided to look for trouble. Per the Daily Fail security started the fight and Youngs was caught in the middle trying to restore the peace.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Not good publicity for the club, not good preparation for the coming season.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

What a shambles.
Valhalla I am coming!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Just proves that Murphy has no control over the players and it's very clear they have no respect for him.
As I've said in previous post there is a group of senior players who run the club. A sorry state.
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Thought they were professional rugby players, at the peak of fitness, gearing up for a new season ??????
I cannot for the life of me imagine a top competitor in any sporting arena, with aspirations, wrecking their body dynamic by excessive alcohol intake.. Or being allowed to.
The days of sweating it out the next day are long gone. But the bottom line is----- don't put yourself in a situation where it can rebound on you. This won't be the end of it, the Mail will now be on the case...
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

If anyone actually bothers to read the article it appears the players weren’t at fault. So what’s the problem?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

norfolkexpat wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:21 am Thought they were professional rugby players, at the peak of fitness, gearing up for a new season ??????
I cannot for the life of me imagine a top competitor in any sporting arena, with aspirations, wrecking their body dynamic by excessive alcohol intake.. Or being allowed to.
The days of sweating it out the next day are long gone. But the bottom line is----- don't put yourself in a situation where it can rebound on you. This won't be the end of it, the Mail will now be on the case...
Harlequins are currently in Ibiza and have done that during the pre season for a couple of years, Saracen also go out drinking during the season to help keep morale up. I've also heard James Haskell talk about how impressed he was when he moved to Northampton by the amount of team social events and how that was something more teams need to do.

For me it sounds like the Tigers lads may have been a little bit rowdy but the bouncers/security came down really hard on them relatively unprovoked, its a shame this sort of stuff always seems to make the headlines when its Tigers but not other teams
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BigDan50 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:19 am Just proves that Murphy has no control over the players and it's very clear they have no respect for him.
As I've said in previous post there is a group of senior players who run the club. A sorry state.
What dismal horse are you riding? You continually harp on about toxic culture at Bath, now you're doing the same for Tigers...… I did have the opinion of a current player at the time of the Mauger debacle - that a small cabal of players with a certain director got Cockers sacked, a decision some believe accelerated our downfall. BUT to assert that this exists now, based on a fracas - not uncommon at other clubs - is in itself somewhat disrespectful IMO and is certainly a dismal outlook.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Was there an excessive consumption of alcohol? Players' disrespect for Murphy?
We don't know so don't jump to conclusions.
Semper in excretia
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

norfolkexpat wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:21 am Thought they were professional rugby players, at the peak of fitness, gearing up for a new season ??????
You can't beast players for months pre season though. You have to build in a little down time as well. Rugby is a team sport and the squads are pretty big. Best way to get to know people is have a good social. Has been the same for decades and will be the same for decades to come. The players won't have been going crazy but after lots of hard work some beers on a warm summer evening is nothing unusual.

Other rugby clubs do it, football and cricket clubs to. The tighter the bond in the squad the better.

The article piles the blame firmly at the door of the security as well. An unprovoked attack on Bateman and another. Club captain Tom Youngs stepping in to try and keep the peace gets a glass to the face. I just hope Tom is ok.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Shocker people using this to bash Murphy without knowing the details.

Also talking about drinking and being professional players.
The season is still over a month away....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It's just steam.
See the Murphy bashers are giving their wings a rest, can't shout and fly at the same time.
Reads between the lines to me that security didn't want to get too close and it was likely little more than cheap pot shots on the peace makers.
Particularly lucky for the Ronaldo's that Lavanini isn't yet with the squad otherwise they'd likely be on their way to the pie factory to finish being processed.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:25 am If anyone actually bothers to read the article it appears the players weren’t at fault. So what’s the problem?
They took it outside, and instead of leaving threw glasses at the bouncers.
Robespierre wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:32 am Was there an excessive consumption of alcohol? Players' disrespect for Murphy?

Drinking for several hours, one player doing pull ups on a beam and refusing to stop when asked several times to do so. What was OTY doing?

However far away the start of the season, they are representatives of the club, not some pub team.
Valhalla I am coming!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

fleabane wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:28 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:25 am If anyone actually bothers to read the article it appears the players weren’t at fault. So what’s the problem?
They took it outside, and instead of leaving threw glasses at the bouncers.
Robespierre wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:32 am Was there an excessive consumption of alcohol? Players' disrespect for Murphy?

Drinking for several hours, one player doing pull ups on a beam and refusing to stop when asked several times to do so. What was OTY doing?

However far away the start of the season, they are representatives of the club, not some pub team.
So if you or your mate is being punched unprovoked by a bouncer or 2 your saying they should have just got up and left?