England v Ireland

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SimonP in Surrey

Re: England v Ireland

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

ENG were more powerful and particularly expansive than in the second welsh match (which was a poor slugfest). ENG vs IRE had some really well constructed back moves too which is a strong positive. In addition they looked a lot fitter than IRE. IRE are a conundrum at the moment IMHO. They seemed very tired (over trained?). The defence was lazy and stepped (not rush) regularly. Given the coaches credentials its a mystery but actually not a one off. The IRE 6N and vs ITA games were poor. They missed Sexton, Toner and Ryan starting vs ENG. As it stands the list of Japan RWC likely lads for me is now NZ, ENG, WAL, RSA, AUS with not much too choose between all five. NZ still favourites but could very very easily lose to one or more of the five. Lets hope IRE come good next two games vs WAL and make the five into a magnificent SIX !!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Excellent summary SimonP.
For me only 3 nations currently have the squad depth and ability to switch game plans required to win a RWC.
New Zealand, RSA and England. For once it seems England are not the ones looking to self destruct, with the All Blacks continuing to pick their best 10 at 15, and not yet knowing their best back row and centre combinations, and stories coming out of South Africa of one of their wingers failing a drugs test, and Esterbeth reportedly racially abusing and threatening a homeless man with a gun.

That being said Australia, France, Ireland and Wales all have the ability to beat anyone in a one off match
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 am
glenn wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:36 am The stiff "clothesline" he did across the head of one of the England players?
That's the one - arm-to-neck / shoulder-to-chin pics circulating on social media. The player was young Curry.
Thanks for the clarification guys. I'll have a look.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I watched it on the full BBC highlights, reckless of Kearney really, it would be hard to argue it’s more than a yellow card.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

That was some good rugby from england but the Irish were poor, Jones is clever enough to not take this into consideration.

I expect to see Watson at fullback against Italy with Tuilagi rested, Francis and Joseph in midfield.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:39 pm
glenn wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:36 am The stiff "clothesline" he did across the head of one of the England players?
That's the one - arm-to-neck / shoulder-to-chin pics circulating on social media. The player was young Curry.
Just looked at it. At least a yellow and you could argue for a red. Presumably he escaped sanction because a try was scored. IMHO a player should not escape sanction for foul play just because a try is scored. Foul play is foul play and it should be punished appropriately.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:56 pm
voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:39 pm
Just looked at it. At least a yellow and you could argue for a red. Presumably he escaped sanction because a try was scored. IMHO a player should not escape sanction for foul play just because a try is scored. Foul play is foul play and it should be punished appropriately.
I tweeted I thought it was a red - just been 'liked' by the Head of Technical Services at World Rugby. Maybe a citing is on the way.....
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Too late I think, hasn't it got to be cited within 24 hours?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:02 pm Too late I think, hasn't it got to be cited within 24 hours?
It may have been cited but not yet reported in the media
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:47 am
It’s on Instagram and on first viewing doesn’t look great. On Curry I think when he has just given the pass for Daley to score
Saw it on the highlights, not knowing about it in advance, and shouted 'clothesline......red card......why not?'
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Ireland looked like a side that peaked 18 months to 2 years ago and has been held together for the world cup rather than continuing evolution.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ireland has put too much energy and resources into the grand slam and beating the All Blacks which has left them tired and with no obvious motivation.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

BigDan50 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:37 am I think England will do well as long as the Saracens players stay fit, they are the spine of the side, the changes I would make from yesterday's side would be Vinipola to come in at prop, Heinz at scrum half as I think Youngs had a poor game yesterday, I don't think he is the best scrum in England at this time and Watson at fullback.
If we can keep playing as we did yesterday we could do well in the World Cup.
Good call but all depends on if Mako is fit, came off with another hamstring injury although it is said not to be as bad as the previous one, he really was not happy after the match though.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:11 pm Quite a devastating win by England. How much can we read into it?
Not sure how much we can read into it, but that was a top Ireland side, missing only really Sexton, I think it is more a worry for Ireland than an encouragement for us.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Is it another injury or the same one?

Hopefully it is just a twinge of pain which is common when returning after hamstring tears rather than a repeat injury. If it is the latter then he may not make the world cup.