England v Ireland

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: England v Ireland

Post by Scott1 »

8/10??? 😂😂😂😂😂 The writer blind? That's one of the funniest things I've ever read
His passing bar a couple of assists was awful,either to feet,head or straight into touch,his kicking for the most part was poor,one led to their try and another we just about got away with. He was trying to buy penalties again,one where he through a pass straight into a player trying to buy one and blew a chance for us. It was a shocker 2 or 3 out of 10 at the most and that's being nice,8? 🙈
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:57 am
Soggypitch wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:56 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:13 pm Good shift from the Tigers boys, especially Manu, great turnover just now and beast ball in hand. All except Youngs, passing hasn’t been to the man, kicking too far.

Do like Cokanasiga, but isn’t very dynamic at this level. For me Nowell or Watson on the right wing.

England have picked Ireland apart both at the breakdown and lineout time. Daly offers so much in attack from the back too.
Cokanasiga not very dynamic?! Were you watching a different game? He had a poor game in Cardiff defensively but his potential is huge and dynamic he certainly is!!

I would have a fit Nowell at 15 in my best team with May and Daly on the wings, it would be difficult to choose between Joe and Watson for the bench spot though! Watson is also a better 15 than Daly, certainly in the air and tackling. Daly has missed two one on one tackles these past three weeks.
Yeah he has huge potential but dynamic he isn’t. He’s a big guy with pace, nothing else. Doesn’t have a kicking game, doesn’t have a chase game and positionally is poor. Against the good teams he’ll get targeted with them punting the ball behind him. Obviously he’s a young guy with massive potential to improve and no doubt in a few years he’ll be a starting winger, just not yet.

Daly is a weird one. Awful in defence all year, misses tackles one on one and never secure under the high ball. But how many tries has he made with his pace and handling in the wide channels. Has a good kicking game too so can see why Jones is sticking with him.

I thought that in comparison to the other England wingers the first few metres looked a bit laboured for the first try yesterday, but it was still scored so job done really.
He is stronger hitting a line and hitting contact though, not much debate there.
I don't know how big his potential is, he looks similar to a young Banahan to me, but we shall see in the World Cup how it plays out with players like Matera on the flanks it hits a bit harder than yesterday's Irish touch game.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

As for Manu though,wow! At the heart of everything that was good about England,with or without the ball. Powerful,quick,one tap on of the ball was filthy! Brilliant turn of pace to pull their player into touch,and one destructive tackle,borderline but completely legal. Solid 9/10,I wouldn't even put him in the 23 for Italy ,I'd just give him a runout in one of the first 2 group games.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

As I’ve already said Young’s had some poor parts to his game yesterday but I’ve just watched the try highlights on YouTube and England’s first 5 trys started with
1) Number 8 pick up smart work between YOUNGS and Ford works the overlap
2) YOUNGS finds Ford in tight channel and the overlap is found
3) YOUNGS finds Tuilagi to score off a difficult bouncing ball
4) YOUNGS finds Itoje with a smart pass to score
5) YOUNGS finds Kruis with a short pass to score.

Some will say he’s the scrum half so he will be involved but on 3 of the above occasions he chose exactly the right pass which is not always the easiest.

I think what yesterday showed is that England now have options to play in different styles. IMO Jones will still go with Wilson and Curry on the flanks and a Farrell Tuilagi Slade midfield in the big games.

One big worry is Mako Vunipola injury which I think is why Jones was so keen to get Marler out of retirement, thought he was very good yesterday, and why he’s gone with 3 looseheads
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:57 am
Soggypitch wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:56 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:13 pm Good shift from the Tigers boys, especially Manu, great turnover just now and beast ball in hand. All except Youngs, passing hasn’t been to the man, kicking too far.

Do like Cokanasiga, but isn’t very dynamic at this level. For me Nowell or Watson on the right wing.

England have picked Ireland apart both at the breakdown and lineout time. Daly offers so much in attack from the back too.
Cokanasiga not very dynamic?! Were you watching a different game? He had a poor game in Cardiff defensively but his potential is huge and dynamic he certainly is!!

I would have a fit Nowell at 15 in my best team with May and Daly on the wings, it would be difficult to choose between Joe and Watson for the bench spot though! Watson is also a better 15 than Daly, certainly in the air and tackling. Daly has missed two one on one tackles these past three weeks.
Yeah he has huge potential but dynamic he isn’t. He’s a big guy with pace, nothing else. Doesn’t have a kicking game, doesn’t have a chase game and positionally is poor. Against the good teams he’ll get targeted with them punting the ball behind him. Obviously he’s a young guy with massive potential to improve and no doubt in a few years he’ll be a starting winger, just not yet.

Daly is a weird one. Awful in defence all year, misses tackles one on one and never secure under the high ball. But how many tries has he made with his pace and handling in the wide channels. Has a good kicking game too so can see why Jones is sticking with him.
Might need to work on his all round game but we need big Joe in there to help lighten the load on Manu. We can't be looking at Manu to the decoy or hard carrier on every phase. Becomes too easy to mark. You get two big quick blokes running good lines off of two playmakers with speed out wide and that becomes a tough to defend against.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:57 am 8/10??? 😂😂😂😂😂 The writer blind? That's one of the funniest things I've ever read
His passing bar a couple of assists was awful,either to feet,head or straight into touch,his kicking for the most part was poor,one led to their try and another we just about got away with. He was trying to buy penalties again,one where he through a pass straight into a player trying to buy one and blew a chance for us. It was a shocker 2 or 3 out of 10 at the most and that's being nice,8? 🙈
He threw 3 or 4 bad passes and 2 came in succession. He tried to buy 1 penalty which was when he threw the ball at a lazy runner.

I wouldn’t give it an 8/10 but no way was it 2 or 3.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

We all support and are one eyed about Tigers players but Ben Young is not the best scrum half in England anymore, Heinz and Spencer are superior players and in better form than Ben.
His first three passes were poor and his kicking is to erratic for test match standards, his form had gone backwards this year.
When Heinz came on England's tempo and direction improved and I would start him in all our pool matches in Japan.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

BigDan50 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:44 pm We all support and are one eyed about Tigers players but Ben Young is not the best scrum half in England anymore, Heinz and Spencer are superior players and in better form than Ben.
His first three passes were poor and his kicking is to erratic for test match standards, his form had gone backwards this year.
When Heinz came on England's tempo and direction improved and I would start him in all our pool matches in Japan.
Whoever the first choice 9 is, I can’t see them starting all of the pool games.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:44 pm As I’ve already said Young’s had some poor parts to his game yesterday but I’ve just watched the try highlights on YouTube and England’s first 5 trys started with
1) Number 8 pick up smart work between YOUNGS and Ford works the overlap
2) YOUNGS finds Ford in tight channel and the overlap is found
3) YOUNGS finds Tuilagi to score off a difficult bouncing ball
4) YOUNGS finds Itoje with a smart pass to score
5) YOUNGS finds Kruis with a short pass to score.

Some will say he’s the scrum half so he will be involved but on 3 of the above occasions he chose exactly the right pass which is not always the easiest.

I think what yesterday showed is that England now have options to play in different styles. IMO Jones will still go with Wilson and Curry on the flanks and a Farrell Tuilagi Slade midfield in the big games.

One big worry is Mako Vunipola injury which I think is why Jones was so keen to get Marler out of retirement, thought he was very good yesterday, and why he’s gone with 3 looseheads
For Manu to be at his most effective, he needs to play 13.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

So - Kearney - red card?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:08 am So - Kearney - red card?
Sorry SC but to what are you referring? :smt017 I must have missed this or deemed the incident too innocuous. More than likely the former.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
glenn

Post by glenn »

The stiff "clothesline" he did across the head of one of the England players?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

glenn wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:36 am The stiff "clothesline" he did across the head of one of the England players?
That's the one - arm-to-neck / shoulder-to-chin pics circulating on social media. The player was young Curry.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

glenn wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:36 am The stiff "clothesline" he did across the head of one of the England players?
It’s on Instagram and on first viewing doesn’t look great. On Curry I think when he has just given the pass for Daley to score
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Quite a devastating win by England. How much can we read into it?