Food for thought for the keyboard warriors?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Food for thought for the keyboard warriors?

Post by jgriffin »

http://tinyurl.com/y5pb29ne

Absolutely awful, and adds weight to those who criticise some of the (earlier) national level approach to training.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Food for thought for the keyboard warriors?

Post by Scott1 »

I'm really struggling to link the header question to his story! 🤔
I'm super stoked he's now okay though!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:57 pm I'm really struggling to link the header question to his story! 🤔
I'm super stoked he's now okay though!
One for the people who criticise players for lack of moral fibre, effort etc etc. I hate wilful nasty and inaccurate criticism.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I can't imagine what it's like to actually be in the thick of it now.
The game is near unrecognisable to me when I think back.
I recall my 15 year old being told that he needed to eat 5000 calories a day by a representitive coach.
Yes I did react!
The pressure from those in responsible positions is immense and they don't care about the consequences for the individual.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

BFG wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:26 pm I can't imagine what it's like to actually be in the thick of it now.
I recall my 15 year old being told that he needed to eat 5000 calories a day by a representitive coach.
Yes I did react!
The pressure from those in responsible positions is immense and they don't care about the consequences for the individual.
It's topical with the injury to Steve Smith to talk of HIA protocols in cricket and maybe the cricket world can learn something from rugby.

However, when I was a cricket coach, we were very minded to look after the young, developing bodies of our charges. Strict limits on the numbers of overs bowled, for example, as well as their proximity to danger ie fielding too close to the bat.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:32 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:26 pm I can't imagine what it's like to actually be in the thick of it now.
Yes I did react!
It's topical with the injury to Steve Smith to talk of HIA protocols in cricket and maybe the cricket world can learn something from rugby.

However, when I was a cricket coach, we were very minded to look after the young, developing bodies of our charges. Strict limits on the numbers of overs bowled, for example, as well as their proximity to danger ie fielding too close to the bat.
I came across some excellent youth coaches in rugby and unfortunately some poor coaches.
The difficulty I witnessed was that the good coaches were such nice genuine people that they were often vulnerable to being rounded upon and basically bullied out of taking up influential positions.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yes I did react!
I could eat 6000 calories a day and it wouldn’t make a difference to my weight! Tigers DPP still needs a lot of sorting out as does the County, but the Academy is ok now.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

I don’t know how many calories I have a day, how many I “should” have a day and what foods are the “right” things to eat. I eat what I like when I like but if I was a teenager again and had my time in the academy again, if I was given a strict diet to follow, I’d follow it. After all, you have to make sacrifices in professional sport and life in general.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Professional sports persons and to a large extent amatuer sports persons, now have their lives Micro managed to get the ultimate performances through out their respective seasons.
Sadly this pressure is taking it toll not only physically but mentally.

The days when I was a National coach have long gone. We were not so blinkered . Our concern was more about drug testing and who would be inclined to breach by taking Cold and Flu remedies. Inclined to make training less pressure and more enjoyable by team building. Enjoyment of the sport.

Performance enhancing has now started to take its toll. Too much time in weight rooms and Calorie counting. Micro managing.
:smt013
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

At the start of every season, I would gather the parents of our latest intake of 8/9 year olds together and tell them that, as Coaches, our focus would be on S E X*.

S = Safety. We'd take every possible step to ensure we sent them home in one piece because, if we didn't, the parents wouldn't let them come again!

E = Enjoyment. If it wasn't great fun, the kids would vote with their feet.

X = Excellence. We would put our excellent best into each session and we expected each child to reach for their very best too.

(*Not sure I'd put it quite like this in the current climate!)
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

So who was England u18 coach when he was involved?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:20 am
Yes I did react!
I could eat 6000 calories a day and it wouldn’t make a difference to my weight! Tigers DPP still needs a lot of sorting out as does the County, but the Academy is ok now.
See right there as a young lad yourself you absolutely shouldn't give a hoot about counting calories relating to rugby.
I didn't, I was too busy enjoying myself.
Youngsters aren't being allowed to be youngsters but being encouraged to try and beat nature and that has to continue to be managed all through professional adult life.
I'm not surprised that the academy is straightening out, my son came across Wilks a few years ago up North and he gave more good simple advice in five minutes than others did in five years.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:21 am I don’t know how many calories I have a day, how many I “should” have a day and what foods are the “right” things to eat. I eat what I like when I like but if I was a teenager again and had my time in the academy again, if I was given a strict diet to follow, I’d follow it. After all, you have to make sacrifices in professional sport and life in general.
It sounds easy when you put it like that but at what time in a professional sportspersons life are they allowed to fully relax!
That's before it's even considered that a demanding sport like rugby does require a quick turnaround in recovery and the pressure is much greater.
You have to eat X amount of calories and at X times during the day, several times each day, every day of every week.
In bed at X and up at X.
In the gym at X and on the training pitch at X.
On the coach at X and on the plane at X managed alongside eating and sleeping at X.
Then you've got knocks and injuries, media demands and match days etc.
Start that at 15/16 years old and are still doing it at 27 years old.
It doesn't sound so easy.
Meanwhile normal life is going on around you.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

BFG wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:15 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:21 am I don’t know how many calories I have a day, how many I “should” have a day and what foods are the “right” things to eat. I eat what I like when I like but if I was a teenager again and had my time in the academy again, if I was given a strict diet to follow, I’d follow it. After all, you have to make sacrifices in professional sport and life in general.
It sounds easy when you put it like that but at what time in a professional sportspersons life are they allowed to fully relax!
That's before it's even considered that a demanding sport like rugby does require a quick turnaround in recovery and the pressure is much greater.
You have to eat X amount of calories and at X times during the day, several times each day, every day of every week.
In bed at X and up at X.
On the coach at X and on the plane at X managed alongside eating and sleeping at X.
I have to say that if you swap 'sportsperson' with 'business person', the similarities are more striking than the differences!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:21 pm
BFG wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:15 pm
In bed at X and up at X.
I have to say that if you swap 'sportsperson' with 'business person', the similarities are more striking than the differences!
Apart from the fact that rugby players now regularly beat eachother up (size+collision) and start their week already in pieces!

We wouldn't expect a UFC fighter to prepare to fight once week for forty weeks of the year and I'd give it two weeks for the $**¥ to really hit the fan were it the case, but for some reason it's expected of pro rugby players without issue and oddly seen as a great privilege by folk who have never even done it!