Post by JP14 »

Or were the Scots just downright poor?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Have the French now turned up?

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

I have no idea. It was on Premier which is a channel I don’t have so couldn’t see the game.

Did anyone on here get to watch it?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:49 am I have no idea. It was on Premier which is a channel I don’t have so couldn’t see the game.

Yes, but it was a poor game and I switched the telly off after 60 minutes! So what did we learn in that hour ? First, the Sweaties were not match fit and will surely be on the plane home after the pool matches in Japan. As for the French, Antoine Dupont and Damien Penaud confirmed what we already knew- that they are superb players. Hooker, Camille Chat is a formidable opponent and may displace Guirado as first choice. But for me, the experimental back row were exceptional. Gregory Aldritt, François Cros and Charles Ollivon will give Jacques Brunel many headaches at selection, when he has the likes of Arthur Itturia, Yacouba Camara and Louis Picamoles to consider. I reckon France could win their pool in Japan, meaning that either England or Argentina won’t make the QFs, and may well go all the way to the final.
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

You would think Argentina but they like to turn up too at a World Cup, then there’s the US who are no longer rollovers and could beat Tonga so England will have a tough ride.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:15 am
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:49 am I have no idea. It was on Premier which is a channel I don’t have so couldn’t see the game.

Yes, but it was a poor game and I switched the telly off after 60 minutes! So what did we learn in that hour ? First, the Sweaties were not match fit and will surely be on the plane home after the pool matches in Japan. As for the French, Antoine Dupont and Damien Penaud confirmed what we already knew- that they are superb players. Hooker, Camille Chat is a formidable opponent and may displace Guirado as first choice. But for me, the experimental back row were exceptional. Gregory Aldritt, François Cros and Charles Ollivon will give Jacques Brunel many headaches at selection, when he has the likes of Arthur Itturia, Yacouba Camara and Louis Picamoles to consider. I reckon France could win their pool in Japan, meaning that either England or Argentina won’t make the QFs, and may well go all the way to the final.
France have the same problem they've had for years though. Where's the general at 10 that's going to control the game alongside the talent at 9. Lopez is a good club player but if we were doing a list of the top 20 international flyhalfs he wouldn't feature and Ntamack looks like he could be the answer by the next tournament but at 20 is lacking experience and being second choice 10 or 12 at his club underlines his development status.

The French pack if they can adjust to the international law interpretations and keep their discipline could blow anybody away on their day.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Lopez would feature in my top20 internationals, not the best in the world by a long shot but his drop goal ability is second to none on the international stage.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Louis Carbonel is a future French fly half.
Class player.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

BFG wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:59 pm Louis Carbonel is a future French fly half.
Class player.
Spot on, BFG! He is THE future French fly half! Having won two U20 World Cups and playing well for Toulon, we may well see him in the 6N.
Semper in excretia
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:54 pm Lopez would feature in my top20 internationals, not the best in the world by a long shot but his drop goal ability is second to none on the international stage.
Not for me. I've seen too many lukewarm performances in a French shirt. I'm struggling to think of a Six Nations game he's really shone in. I thought when he joined Clermont and began working with Parra there could be a partnership to really step up internationally but it's not really happened. He's solid but lacking enough flair to really open up an international game.
Robespierre wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:17 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:59 pm Louis Carbonel is a future French fly half.
Class player.
Spot on, BFG! He is THE future French fly half! Having won two U20 World Cups and playing well for Toulon, we may well see him in the 6N.
Thought that might be case with Belleau when he broke through at Toulon. Carbonel I've only seen at under 20s level and he looked commanding there, maybe with the revamped Toulon pack post RWC he'll get chance to show off in the big games. I suspect we'll be seeing an increasing number from that France under 20s squad in the next 6N.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Surprisingly, their are only four changes to the starting XV in Saturday's match at Murrayfield:

Ramos; Raka, Fofana, Fickou, Penaud; Lopez, Dupont; Poirot, Guirado (c), Slimani, Lambey, Vahaamahina, Iturria, Aldritt, Ollivon.

Bench: Chat, Baille, Setiano, Taofifenua, Camara, Serin, Ntamack, Medard

So the four changes are, Ramos at fullback, Guirado at hooker, Lambey in the 2nd row and Iturria at wing forward.

The Scots cannot play any worse than they did in Nice and will surely raise their game, but I doubt if it'll be enough to get the better of this French squad.
Semper in excretia
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

I caught some of it on Freesports (channel 64?) last night and it's on again today at 5:30. Thought the French played with some vigour but a lot of their handling was dreadful. Scotland were (mostly) awful to go down by that much.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Maybe not this week :(
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

To be fair the French played relatively well for the duration of the match, but both sides were not of high standard this week.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Their next match is on Friday evening at the Stade de France against Italy, and they've picked a heavyweight pack in the starting XV. An easy win is surely on the cards, n'est ce pas?!!!

Medard; Huget, Guitoune, Fofana, Fickou; Ntamack, Dupont; Poirot, Chat, Slimani, Ittruria, Taofifenua, Lauret, Picamoles, Camara.

Bench: Guirado, Baille, Setiano, Lambey, Cros, Serin, Vakatawa, Ramos.
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Great to see Vakatawa back in the fold, has played exceptionally well for Racing 92 and should be the first name on France’s teamsheet.