LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:41 pm I believe the Denton situation is paramount, as he is a key player, who, prior to injury, was at the top of his game. If he does have to retire, then we will require a tenacious replacement, who can dominate in the same way as DD.
Much as I too wish him a speedy recovery I think you may be romanticising the man slightly there, he was good but there was a reason we signed him from Wuss not Bath. Billy Vunipola he wasn't.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:09 am
Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:41 pm I believe the Denton situation is paramount, as he is a key player, who, prior to injury, was at the top of his game. If he does have to retire, then we will require a tenacious replacement, who can dominate in the same way as DD.
Much as I too wish him a speedy recovery I think you may be romanticising the man slightly there, he was good but there was a reason we signed him from Wuss not Bath. Billy Vunipola he wasn't.
I can and will only comment on what I saw of him in a Tiger's shirt and what I did see was very impressive not to mention encouraging
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:31 am
CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:09 am
I can and will only comment on what I saw of him in a Tiger's shirt and what I did see was very impressive not to mention encouraging
The reason we didn't sign him from Bath was because he blooming awful in black, blue and white. If I remember rightly he made his debut against us and got sin binned shortly after.

Denton started last season well and he was certainly a loss as the season went on. I think we all hope he is fit to return to playing soon and it's good to hear he's out on the Tigers summer camps currently (if he's doing that he should have got past headaches when running). If he's not going to be back until next year, which is probably likely, then I hope we bring in another body to help the backrow resources (maybe Smit as discussed previously).
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Harry Wellls: personal trainer,coach and referee. Well done lad!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:02 am Harry Wellls: personal trainer,coach and referee. Well done lad!
In a decade's time I hope we see him take up the whistle after he's got a few medals under his belt. You see very few professional players become top level referees and even fewer forwards. We need people like Harry Wells to take their experiences to the other side so that we see better officiating.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I am of the opinion that this year's recruitment is the best for many a year, and I really do feel positive about next season, not to say that we shall make the top four, but there is a chance. We need Ben Youngs to recover his form for us, and then we could be pushing for it. I would like us to add another scrum half who could really push him hard for a place, say one of the South Africans who look really good.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Compared to Stains and the Sharks, our scrum halves are miles behind.... We need a No 2 immediately. White/ Simmonds Coventry standard..
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

fortysix wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:27 pm Compared to Stains and the Sharks, our scrum halves are miles behind.... We need a No 2 immediately. White/ Simmonds Coventry standard..
Remind me who Sale's outstanding 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice scrum halves are?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

fortysix wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:27 pm Compared to Stains and the Sharks, our scrum halves are miles behind.... We need a No 2 immediately. White/ Simmonds Coventry standard..
No idea what Simmons has done to give you that view. I reckon he could be something very special.

If White is to be a scrum-half who offers limited sniping threat but does the basics well then he needs to do the basics more consistently. He's got time on his hands though.

I've no complaint with scrum-half options for next season. Once we've seen them behind Prem standard forward performances we can judge the youngsters ability more fairly.

6.Fitzgerald 7.Williams 8.0'Connor

I'd like to see any scrum-half look good behind that quite frankly.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Typical OTT comment to get reactions.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mercury confirm coaching set up;

Murphy - head coach
Ford - attack coach
Blake - defence coach
Bakewell - forward coach
Deacon - assistant forward/breakdown coach
Mele - half back/kicking coach
Stankovitch - scrum coach
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:34 pm Mercury confirm coaching set up;

Murphy - head coach
Ford - attack coach
Blake - defence coach
Bakewell - forward coach
Deacon - assistant forward/breakdown coach
Mele - half back/kicking coach
Stankovitch - scrum coach
Urgh, my worst fears confirmed. I desperately hope to be proven wrong but Mr. Ladbrokes is the worst coaching appointment we've ever made, Bakewell took us backwards after a promising start and Murphy hasn't shown us anything that suggests he has the chops to take the hot seat at this level. I give it 8 games 6 losses before Ford is in charge, which again isn't particularly stellar news.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Oh God!!!! Can't wait!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

No doubt we fought off lots of other clubs for the services of Fred Bet Blake. Saracens and Exeter must be hugely disappointed.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Ford will be head coach by the end of the season, he will do his backstabbing to get the job like he did at Bath, not the best bit of business Tigers have done. Looking forward to saying I told you so at the end of the season.