Axial Loading

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Axial Loading

Post by ads »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:07 am Is it because I used to be a prop that I don't understand the new rules, and is it something to do with age that I don't understand the jokes which I assume are something to do with Guns N Roses.
Oh, sweet child of mine.

I do love a prop with an appetite for destruction.....
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

As an old, if not brilliant prop...

In the old days, front rows used to more or less grasp onto and fold into one another in one action. Certainly at my level scrummaging was higher off the deck than nowadays.

My Qn is: With the typical pause between the Bind and Set, how long are props’ arms expected to be? Because to be close enough to have a good bind, but to also far enough away to keep the tops of heads from rubbing on the oppo’s shoulders is going to be a feat of very long arms, not insufficient strength.

As a TH I found that I could regulate things by gripping in a way that my thumb was in the oppo LH’s armpit, if/as required. But I dare say wouldn’t be allowed these days...
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

JWM wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:10 am As an old, if not brilliant prop...

In the old days, front rows used to more or less grasp onto and fold into one another in one action. Certainly at my level scrummaging was higher off the deck than nowadays.

My Qn is: With the typical pause between the Bind and Set, how long are props’ arms expected to be? Because to be close enough to have a good bind, but to also far enough away to keep the tops of heads from rubbing on the oppo’s shoulders is going to be a feat of very long arms, not insufficient strength.

As a TH I found that I could regulate things by gripping in a way that my thumb was in the oppo LH’s armpit, if/as required. But I dare say wouldn’t be allowed these days...
Grasping and folding developed into more lungeing and charging 'hit', which got more dangerous as the FR got stronger over the years. I'd say the grasping and folding (set) has returned for the better, resulting in a more stable scrum.

FR players when binding should be almost ear to ear with their opponents, so even a short armed T-rex prop will manage perfectly well.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

From what I could gather from yesterday’s matches there is going to be no shoulder contact between opposition front rows before the engage call.
So they will pack down head to head and then only completely engage once the ref calls engage.
This to my mind will help the more powerful scrummagers
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:50 am From what I could gather from yesterday’s matches there is going to be no shoulder contact between opposition front rows before the engage call.
So they will pack down head to head and then only completely engage once the ref calls engage.
If that’s the case maybe we will see some more pushover tries, I’ve missed them.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:36 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:50 am From what I could gather from yesterday’s matches there is going to be no shoulder contact between opposition front rows before the engage call.
If that’s the case maybe we will see some more pushover tries, I’ve missed them.
Possibly so, it should also be easier to identify those teams that don’t take the hit, Exeter have always seemed good at this