Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2018-19

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2018-19

Post by jgriffin »

ABClub wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:07 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49006456

Harry Thacker one of 7 players to sign extensions with Bristol. 3 years in Harry's case.

I still hope to see him back at Tigers one day.
Of all the players we have let go, he is one of 3 or 4 that rankle with me over the last decade or so. A supremely talented player who was pushed out, as was McCaffrey (less talent, great presence and grit)..
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Agree entirely about Harry. We have lost several highly talented players over the past three or four seasons and quite often it comes back to bite us when they play blinders/score tries against us etc.and the most dispiriting thing is when you see that they have actually developed and improved as players. Of course we know that players move on for a sometimes complex mixture of personal and professional reasons but going back to the beginning, like JG the player I most regret us losing is Harry Thacker. In fact I'll make a brave prediction that - highly improbable as it seems at present - Harry Thacker will one day get international recognition.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... iGyCm1F1H3
It was headlined that Henry Purdy has made a shock move. Didn't say who but now it's gone 🤔 Anyone know?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Apparently it's Coventry
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:58 pm Apparently it's Coventry
Couldn't get himself a prem contract then. Drop to the Championship and put himself in the shop window. Coventry have got a few players with prem experience including Voss from us, Nutley formerly of Saints, Dawidiuk from Glaws, Burrows from Falcons and Alo from Worcester in the pack so their backs should get a decent platform.

Ant Allen coaching there as well so you'd expect then to be organised and good defensively.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Jacko27 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:07 pm Agree entirely about Harry. We have lost several highly talented players over the past three or four seasons and quite often it comes back to bite us when they play blinders/score tries against us etc.and the most dispiriting thing is when you see that they have actually developed and improved as players. Of course we know that players move on for a sometimes complex mixture of personal and professional reasons but going back to the beginning, like JG the player I most regret us losing is Harry Thacker. In fact I'll make a brave prediction that - highly improbable as it seems at present - Harry Thacker will one day get international recognition.
I agree that Harry is a unique talent, which is why he has thrived under Pat Lam who is renowned for letting his players have their heads.
IMO this is also the reason why he won’t play test rugby, that adapting that style into a test team would be difficult. I think this is the same reason Cipriani isn’t being picked, and possibly why Schalk Brits got a relatively low number of Springbok caps, with most of them off the bench
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The Du Preez brothers have upgraded to permanent deals for Sale!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:10 am The Du Preez brothers have upgraded to permanent deals for Sale!
Probably something to do with their dad getting sacked by the Sharks, reportedly for starting Robert too often over the more talented Curwin Bosch. I don't watch many SA domestic games as the commentators always sound half drunk and the empty stadiums have no atmosphere, are the twins any good?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:05 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:10 am The Du Preez brothers have upgraded to permanent deals for Sale!
Probably something to do with their dad getting sacked by the Sharks, reportedly for starting Robert too often over the more talented Curwin Bosch. I don't watch many SA domestic games as the commentators always sound half drunk and the empty stadiums have no atmosphere, are the twins any good?
Both capped internationals and both are mobile, aggressive and powerful. Good signings for Sale.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Glasgow have signed Fijian prospect Jale Vakaloloma from Brisbane City, speaking of the Warriors what do people think to their new logo (old news I know but I believe this topic has not been previously discussed on the forum).
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:47 pm Glasgow have signed Fijian prospect Jale Vakaloloma from Brisbane City, speaking of the Warriors what do people think to their new logo (old news I know but I believe this topic has not been previously discussed on the forum).
The Scottish clubs have had some real success with finding and developing Mata and Nakawara so understandable that they are both taking a punt on a few Fijians this summer.

New Glasgow logo looks a bit cheesy for me. I think the simpler detail of the old one gave a better effect.

In other news Van Vurren has gone to Saints for next season. Slightly surprised by that as they've got a few hookers on the books in Hartley, Haywood, Fish and Marshall who all got some game time last season and did a decent job. Only Hartley is likely to get international recognition so it seems like overkill.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I quite like the new logo to be honest.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Weren’t Glasgow rumoured to have offered Smit a deal, in competition with us? Maybe Vakaloloma is instead of Smit.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Glasgow's back row options are a bit muddled currently. Gibbins, Wilson and Fagerson are a good starting back row.

Rob Harley, Adam Ashe and Chris Fusaro have all been set-back significantly by injury though.

Then you've got three recent SRU academy grads and Vakaloloma who is also a project albeit a hugely talented one.

Smit would slot into their starting back row if they can get him so I'd be surprised if Vakaloloma signing means they are out the market for him.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:09 am
ABClub wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:07 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49006456

Harry Thacker one of 7 players to sign extensions with Bristol. 3 years in Harry's case.

I still hope to see him back at Tigers one day.
Of all the players we have let go, he is one of 3 or 4 that rankle with me over the last decade or so. A supremely talented player who was pushed out, as was McCaffrey (less talent, great presence and grit)..
Agree entirely. Could the coaches not see this or did they have no choice?