Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by strawclearer »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:20 pm
kk20gb30 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:53 pm Quite a well balanced article on our transfer dealings thus far, I believe:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/leiceste ... ror-season
I believe that apart from possible injury cover for Denton that will be it on the signings
I assume his continued absence from any pics from Oval Park suggests that he's still getting headaches when he runs. Hope I'm wrong.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:39 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:20 pm
kk20gb30 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:53 pm Quite a well balanced article on our transfer dealings thus far, I believe:

I believe that apart from possible injury cover for Denton that will be it on the signings
I assume his continued absence from any pics from Oval Park suggests that he's still getting headaches when he runs. Hope I'm wrong.
As disappointing as it I fear you could be right. You would think the first think for him would be to see if he can run before doing anything physical
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

For me if we don’t sign anyone else, Coghlan has the most to prove. Thompson proved his class last year. However, other flankers like Willis and Hill have shown that young backrowers need to have their game time managed given the attritional nature of their position so Reffell needs to be carefully picked. Both Thompson and Reffell have had their injury niggles and no one wants to see blindsides played at seven.

I remember when we signed Macaffrey and we all moaned yet he quickly proved his worth. Hoping Coghlan does the same and smashes it. Seems to be highly rated at the youth levels.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Agree re Coghlan.
Obviously we have Taufua and both Kalamafoni and Liebenberg provide quality options at 6 and 8 I also think Lewis could prove to be another bolter as the season goes on
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

The pace of Taufua, Coghlan and Lewis offers completely different options at blindside to Williams and Fitzgerald. Lewis in particular could provide something special as a support runner given his pace.

Thompson is also a very good carrier and Reffell a good distributor. Sam Eveleigh and Taylor Gough are another couple of opensides coming through, Eveleigh in particular looks a handful in contact.

I was frustrated to see Evans go but excited about the back row options for next season.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

An interesting article for sure. Being pedantic I'd quarrel about some of the selections.

1.Genge 2.Kerr 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Spencer 6.Taufua 7.Thompson 8.Liebenberg
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.May 12.Reid 13.Tuilagi 14.Holmes 15.Veainu

1.Bateman 2.Youngs 3.Heyes 4.Wells 5.Green 6.Denton 7.Reffell 8.Kalamafoni
9.Harrison 10.Hardwick 11.Olowofela 12.Eastmond 13.Taute 14.Thompstone 15.Worth

1.Gigena 2.Polota-Nau 3.Cortes 4.Martin 5.Jordan 6.Lewis 7.Coghlan 8.Gough
9.White 10.McPhillips 11.Aspland-Robinson 12.Thomas 13.Viljeon 14.Browning 15.Steward

I think this will be an interesting season in terms of how the order in those selections changes.

Reffell is a well discussed as one who could challenge the first XV.

Harry Simmons should have a good season if he stays fit behind a stronger pack.

Similarly at fly-half there are 3 options in Hardwick, McPhillips and Costelow behind Ford who offer differing skill sets. Hardwicks boot could be useful in tighter games when the weather gets nasty. McPhillips and Costelow have strong running games.

I hope Freddie Steward gets a chance in the AWC games. He looks a top talent at full-back.

In the front row there are lots of strong options. Cortes will seem like a new signing if he stays fit, Gigena is much improved and will push Bateman hard, Leatigaga is an interesting project. At hooker there will be a tussle for first choice which currently I think Kerr deserves. I hope we see the best of Polota-Nau with stronger forwards around him, he can be a bull in the loose at his best.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Problem is it’s World Cup Year so we won’t see a lot of players until November and then they could be in need of a rest. I’m hoping that Murphy almost forgets about the lads in all the World Cup squads and tells those left that this is a chance to become true Tigers.
On the positive side, I wasn’t sure about our new Argentine lock, Lavanini,(who will now get no rest between now and joking us after the World Cup)
has really looked promising in the last few games in the Southern Hemisphere.
As for Denton, there are lots of rumours flying around, sadly none positive. We all wish him well and at least Tigers have respected his injury.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:29 pm Problem is it’s World Cup Year so we won’t see a lot of players until November and then they could be in need of a rest. I’m hoping that Murphy almost forgets about the lads in all the World Cup squads and tells those left that this is a chance to become true Tigers.
England - Genge, Cole, Youngs, Ford, Manu and May
Tonga - Kalamafoni and Veainu
Australia - Polota-Nau
Argentina - Lavanini
Scotland - Kerr
Wales - Holmes
Samoa - Taufua

Long term injury - Stevens, Denton, Thompstone and Olowofela

1.Bateman 2.Youngs 3.Heyes 4.Spencer 5.Green 6.Reffell 7.Thompson 8.Liebenberg
9.White 10.Hardwick 11.Aspland-Robinson 12.Reid 13.Taute 14.Viljeon 15.Worth

16.Clare 17.Gigena 18.Cortes 19.Wells 20.Coghlan 21.Simmons 22.McPhillips 23.Eastmond

Even with those absentees we could still field that 23. Genge, Cole, Kerr, Taufua and Holmes aren't certainties for RWC selection either.

The PRC games starting of the season will help Tigers bed in the new signings and get some game time for the guys promoted from the development squad.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I think of those possibles you list of being at the World Cup, Genge could be unlucky, the situation regarding Veainu is still unclear as he has refused to play for them for the past couple of seasons.
IMO, TPN, Kerr and Holmes won’t be going to the World Cup, with Lavanini Argentina won’t get past the quarter finals and Taufua is committed to play in domestic New Zealand comp for at least the next 2 months even if he isn’t called up
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Stevens is back training.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:29 am I think of those possibles you list of being at the World Cup, Genge could be unlucky, the situation regarding Veainu is still unclear as he has refused to play for them for the past couple of seasons.
IMO, TPN, Kerr and Holmes won’t be going to the World Cup, with Lavanini Argentina won’t get past the quarter finals and Taufua is committed to play in domestic New Zealand comp for at least the next 2 months even if he isn’t called up
Kerr definitely, Holmes possibly...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

I know this thread is to do with player transfers but just as a matter of interest as I haven't seen or heard anything on the coaching side can anyone tell me if Mike Ford is staying at the club and also is Bakewell and Blake also staying. Thanks
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

ABClub wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:03 pm 1.Genge 2.Kerr 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Spencer 6.Taufua 7.Thompson 8.Liebenberg
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.May 12.Reid 13.Tuilagi 14.Holmes 15.Veainu

1.Bateman 2.Youngs 3.Heyes 4.Wells 5.Green 6.Denton 7.Reffell 8.Kalamafoni
9.Harrison 10.Hardwick 11.Olowofela 12.Eastmond 13.Taute 14.Thompstone 15.Worth

1.Gigena 2.Polota-Nau 3.Cortes 4.Martin 5.Jordan 6.Lewis 7.Coghlan 8.Gough
9.White 10.McPhillips 11.Aspland-Robinson 12.Thomas 13.Viljeon 14.Browning 15.Steward
Those selections make me feel extremely positive about the squad, all we need is the players to perform and click, you can't have one without the other, over to you Geordie!!!!

That second choice front five look tasty!
Flash

Post by Flash »

g wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:37 am I know this thread is to do with player transfers but just as a matter of interest as I haven't seen or heard anything on the coaching side can anyone tell me if Mike Ford is staying at the club and also is Bakewell and Blake also staying. Thanks
An article confirmed they were present for the start of preseason.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I believe the Denton situation is paramount, as he is a key player, who, prior to injury, was at the top of his game. If he does have to retire, then we will require a tenacious replacement, who can dominate in the same way as DD.