LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Okay so apparently Smit has at least two contract offers on the table, one from us and one from Glasgow. Nothing been confirmed yet.

Given Glasgow’s Scottish internationals, hoping their offer is only temporary for the World Cup period. However, I think our offer is for the at least the whole season.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:53 am Anybody else a bit nervous about the lack of an announcement re: Blake? After last season surely he can't have had his contract renewed.
I think you'll find that Phil and the Tigers PR team have spent ages getting the spacing between the letters of each word perfect so that when an announcement is made on the Tigers website it will be grammatically correct and succinct. But every time they try to release the statement for some reason it appears on the website like a jumbled up mess. All this in spite of Phil's best efforts.'
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

I've been doing a lot of reading around young Fijian players and how there has been a lot of success in France by recruiting young players and bringing them through such as Yato and Raka at Clermont and Tuisova at Toulon and the list could go on. Maybe tigers should consider a few more wildcard Fijians especially with the emergence of the Fijian Drua who won the Aussie NRC last year. These players usually don't need much in terms of wage and can turn out to be great players so it is worth the risk.

Obviously this may not be for this year but in the future as loads of club are getting goos success from it.

Reply thoughts.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Pretty sure Clermont have a special relationship with a Fijian club / district which is where they have found the likes of Yato.

I’m sure we have contacts throughout the world, but there are only so many to go round and we seem to go more towards the Samoan players
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Clermont fund the Nadroga Academy
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

But I still think we could look into the Drua for talent as it is an unbelievable side
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Richardfje wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:30 pm These players usually don't need much in terms of wage and can turn out to be great players so it is worth the risk.
Bit uncomfortable with the tone of that. Smacks a little bit of colonialism. Let's go and grab a couple of peasant islanders, we can pay them peanuts and bin em if they're no good
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

northerntiger wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:28 pm
Richardfje wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:30 pm These players usually don't need much in terms of wage and can turn out to be great players so it is worth the risk.
Bit uncomfortable with the tone of that. Smacks a little bit of colonialism. Let's go and grab a couple of peasant islanders, we can pay them peanuts and bin em if they're no good
Thats not at all what I meant, by that I meant that they are not looking for the wages of players from the NZ, AUS and SA so it would be a better deal and anyway the money these players would get payed on a contract by any high level European team would probably give them a huge opportunity in their lives and careers. Not trying to use them, I have the upmost respect for these player because of their skill and hard work ethic.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

northerntiger wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:28 pm
Not sure on colonialism.

It's just the professionalism in sport unfortunately.
Happens with young fringe players and championship players as well.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I think if you change don't need much in terms of wage to cheap squad player then that's pretty much how fringe/championship/world cup bolters are talked about.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We do need some Fijian firepower, doesn’t matter which position, preferably in the wings though.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Boris has been announced as joining Canada for the Rugby World Cup.

Also seems to confirm that there won't be a change to the forwards coaching either as Bakewell and Brett confirmed as filling in for Boris.

Seems fair following a season of the worst forward performances in Tigers history that the coach keeps his job.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

TTRITH wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:11 pm Boris has been announced as joining Canada for the Rugby World Cup.

Also seems to confirm that there won't be a change to the forwards coaching either as Bakewell and Brett confirmed as filling in for Boris.

Seems fair following a season of the worst forward performances in Tigers history that the coach keeps his job.
Just about to comment on Bozza heading to Canada, and I realised i was thinking of the wrong one!
Phew, or rather Phooaah!

On 2nd thoughts, a bit disappointed......
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Gulp! He's our best coach, terrible news about the other two staying,can't wait!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

maybe Bakewell will show how good he is with much better tools to work with, you can be the best coach in the world but if the players are just simply not good enough then it won't make a difference
Last edited by Jimmy Skitz on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.