Axial Loading

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Axial Loading

Post by Mark62 »

Axial loading has been banned with immediate effect.
Apparently this is the practice of front rows placing their heads onto opposition players between the call of bind and set.

Even as an old prop I don’t really understand it though it’s to do with player safety
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Axial Loading

Post by Scott1 »

The refs can't even spot a crooked feed 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:55 pm The refs can't even spot a crooked feed 😂
My thoughts entirely we are supposed to be trying to make the game easier to understand and officiate, and then this.

I know you’re only joking about the feed but some people don’t realise that it is only the tip of the ball that has to go down the centre of the tunnel not the middle of the ball
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Will the refs actually spot it and give a penalty?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

If the prop also raises his head up - is it called Axial Rose? :smt034
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:14 pm If the prop also raises his head up - is it called Axial Rose? :smt034
Only if his Guns Rose too 🐒
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:24 pm
strawclearer wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:14 pm If the prop also raises his head up - is it called Axial Rose? :smt034
Groan.....Can I suggest that we Slash both these comments :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:32 am
Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:24 pm
Groan.....Can I suggest that we Slash both these comments :smt003
You're right - we're being Bucketheads!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Is it because I used to be a prop that I don't understand the new rules, and is it something to do with age that I don't understand the jokes which I assume are something to do with Guns N Roses.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:07 am Is it because I used to be a prop that I don't understand the new rules, and is it something to do with age that I don't understand the jokes which I assume are something to do with Guns N Roses.
Yes on both counts John though you would need to be Einstein to understand this
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Thank you for the sympathetic comment Mark. Life was much simpler when front rows having bound tight to their team mates just sort of bumped into the opposition and grabbed hold pretending if there had been a clash of heads that it didn't hurt. Terms like engagement were unheard of unless you had too many beers after the game and then met the girlfriend.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:07 am Is it because I used to be a prop that I don't understand the new rules, and is it something to do with age that I don't understand the jokes which I assume are something to do with Guns N Roses.
I just think of it as pre-engagement shenanigans.
If you picture the scrum set ups with front rows leaning in on eachother between bind and set with the weight of each pack rather than holding their own weight with a gap then I think that's what it is generally about.
It might cause a few difficulties for the bigger less technical front rows and is a good thing just as long as refs don't get duped into allowing the old practice of hitting on the engage to creep back in.
To be honest it's something that refs should already be well aware of and dealing with in my opinion.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:49 am Thank you for the sympathetic comment Mark. Life was much simpler when front rows having bound tight to their team mates just sort of bumped into the opposition and grabbed hold pretending if there had been a clash of heads that it didn't hurt. Terms like engagement were unheard of unless you had too many beers after the game and then met the girlfriend.
Totally agree John. Best prop I’ve ever seen Graham Price, just relied on strength and technique once the front rows had folded together, as you say if there was an ‘ACCIDENTAL ‘ butt on the way down or you got a head in the ribs so be it.
Take the hit away and you solve a lot of problems in my opinion
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Ah! The Pontypool front row, how many accidental collisions did they have in a match, and how many times did a ref stand between the front rows when they were playing.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:23 pm Ah! The Pontypool front row, how many accidental collisions did they have in a match, and how many times did a ref stand between the front rows when they were playing.
Ahhhh Faulkner, Windsor and Price........the passive engage.....ish. And an almighty shove!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"