LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:59 am Would add the rumoured addition of David Mele as a Scrum Half coach will hopefully improve things too
Mele would be better off working with the flankers 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

We could see a whole new back 5 for the pack for next season. Massive improvement in physicality and overall quality. Bakewell and Deacon who are staying by the looks of things really needs to drill the forwards into a formidable unit.

4. Green
5. Lavanini
6. Taufua
7. Smit?
8. Liebenberg

As for the 9s I’ve always rated Simmons who could really breakthrough next season. Healey esque player in that he’s electric who can play across the back line.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I like Spencer and would never start a game without Thompson if possible.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I feel like as Taufua is more mobile, he would be an 8 with Liebenberg at 6, I agree with Scott, Thompson has to start if he is fit, captain material. Nothing wrong with Smit, not entirely that signing will suffice to be honest.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:33 pm I feel like as Taufua is more mobile, he would be an 8 with Liebenberg at 6, I agree with Scott, Thompson has to start if he is fit, captain material. Nothing wrong with Smit, not entirely that signing will suffice to be honest.
If you have the right mix of players they can shift positions depending on moves called or position on the pitch.

For instance for some scrums today Matera was packing at openside so he could help clear the ruck from a move off the scrum, and the would be a power runner of 2nd or 3rd phase.
Taufua is a 6 who can cover across the back row if required, please don’t muck about with him position wise otherwise Tigers will not get the best from him
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I believe we are short of three players. A versatile back rower, a scrum half and the number 12 position. We wont get all three of course.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Don't forget that Liebenberg is a very capable lock too. I wouldnt dismiss Kalamafoni due to his sheer engine and huge involvement. He will shine when he's not the one who is carrying the burden of all the work
4. Lavinini
5. Liebenberg
6. Taufua
7. Thompson
8. Kalamafoni

We have various back 5 options now without considerably weakening it but another 7 needs to step up. If both Reffell and Coghlan both step up it's a monster pack that bats long using a cricket term.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:51 pm I believe we are short of three players. A versatile back rower, a scrum half and the number 12 position. We wont get all three of course.
Scrum half we have 4 if you count Harrison plus a number of promising academy players.
Back row Smit would fill that role who although primarily a 7 would allow Thompson and possibly Reiffel to fill the gaps.
12 we have Viljoen, Reed and Hardwick, and would be unlikely to pick up any one better taking the cap into account, unless there is a post World Cup bolter
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Viljoen is a 13 mate,although he is a utility back
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Currently we really do not have the cap to sign a 12 that is better than Reid.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:18 pm Currently we really do not have the cap to sign a 12 that is better than Reid.
Nor do we need too! We have plenty of depth at centre. Plus Manu plays 12 for England so is always an option for us.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Ben Youngs has made more than 230 appearances for Tiger, about 85 for England and a few for the Lions, not yet 30 he has been selected by many highly thought of coaches yet there are still people who have neither coached or played at the top level that think they know better than those that have. He has been relatively injury free throughout his career although like anybody he has had some time off. Harry Simmons was not ignored when fit, he came back from injury early due to Harrison & White getting concussions in the same match resulting in Holmes playing a second half at 9. Simmons was selected against Sale away had to play the whole 80 minutes and the following week was back in hospital for a further operation.
We are ok at scrum half. I think the squad is looking better balanced and with better depth than recent seasons and the young players moving up will hopefully keep on improving. Hopefully none of our players get broken in Japan, I suspect a little bit of cap being retained to cover that eventuality.
jaguar
Tiger Cub

Post by jaguar »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:25 pm I like Spencer and would never start a game without Thompson if possible.
Spencer such a dynamic hard working player
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Forgot Eastmond as an option at 12 though I appreciate he isn’t a favourite with many
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I’m still hoping there is enough room to bring in Smit and Blommetjies. That for me would round out the squad nicely, increased physicality up front and guile out wide. Based on the comment an offer had been put to Smit but not yet signed, you’d assume there is already money there for that addition, and based on the fact Blommetjies has been paid out of his Scarlets contract he may accept a lesser deal with us if he feels after his loan spell this is where he wants to be.
Having Smit would give us the additional back row depth for Lewis and Liebenberg to be emergency second rows if absolutely needed. Likewise having Blommetjies would mean Worth could fill in as a second distributor in midfield if required. All about flexibility in order to maximise the use of the cap.