Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2431
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by Scott1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:03 pm

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/991493169?-11081:2392

Marler makes himself "available" Heres a guy who wanted to disappear out of the public eye yet was in every podcast and in every interview he possibly could. Now one of Moon and Genge will miss out. I don't like it at all!

kpj tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1938
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Stoney Stanton

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by kpj tiger » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:08 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:03 pm
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/991493169?-11081:2392

Marler makes himself "available" Heres a guy who wanted to disappear out of the public eye yet was in every podcast and in every interview he possibly could. Now one of Moon and Genge will miss out. I don't like it at all!
Not sure I agree with your take on this, firstly I don't think he ever said he didn't want to be in the public eye, he said he wanted to spend more time with his family. I agree that its not a good look for somebody who opted out to be brought back in so easily but its fair that Marler should be at least in the conversation if available, I suspect Marler may be a reserve and England will go with Mako and Genge

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2431
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by Scott1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:12 pm

kpj tiger wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:08 pm
Scott1 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:03 pm
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/991493169?-11081:2392

Marler makes himself "available" Heres a guy who wanted to disappear out of the public eye yet was in every podcast and in every interview he possibly could. Now one of Moon and Genge will miss out. I don't like it at all!
Not sure I agree with your take on this, firstly I don't think he ever said he didn't want to be in the public eye, he said he wanted to spend more time with his family. I agree that its not a good look for somebody who opted out to be brought back in so easily but its fair that Marler should be at least in the conversation if available, I suspect Marler may be a reserve and England will go with Mako and Genge
I believe his words were something like he was uneasy with being in the public glare. He is rugby unions answer to the boxer Tony Bellew imo.
But the very best of luck to him,he's a top player and if it helps England to win the RWC then go Joe!!

kpj tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1938
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Stoney Stanton

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by kpj tiger » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:15 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:12 pm
kpj tiger wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:08 pm
Scott1 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:03 pm
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/991493169?-11081:2392

Marler makes himself "available" Heres a guy who wanted to disappear out of the public eye yet was in every podcast and in every interview he possibly could. Now one of Moon and Genge will miss out. I don't like it at all!
Not sure I agree with your take on this, firstly I don't think he ever said he didn't want to be in the public eye, he said he wanted to spend more time with his family. I agree that its not a good look for somebody who opted out to be brought back in so easily but its fair that Marler should be at least in the conversation if available, I suspect Marler may be a reserve and England will go with Mako and Genge
I believe his words were something like he was uneasy with being in the public glare. He is rugby unions answer to the boxer Tony Bellew imo.
I'm sure your right, I just remember hearing him say that he had a young family and he wasn't enjoying being away from them during England camps and tours

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7039
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by RagingBull » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:21 pm

You got a source of him saying it was the public glare.

Mark62
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1971
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by Mark62 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:21 pm

I think Jones has said that he needs to prove himself back in camp first.
IMO he is there as there have to be concerns about Makos availability due to his recent injury history I read somewhere he is having to look at his technique due to the effect it is having on his body.

I do agree though that if Mako is available 3rd loosehead spot will turn into a shoot out between Moon and Genge

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2431
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by Scott1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:49 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:21 pm
You got a source of him saying it was the public glare.
I just copied and pasted it off an article. Maybe he meant public glare specifically being a player but it didn't say that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indepe ... html%3famp

Maybe I've deciphered it wrong,I apologize if I have.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3454
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by JP14 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:00 pm

Everyone’s favourite Dallaglio retired from England then came back so it’s nothing new is it.

I reckon Genge’s power and ability as an impact player will make him preferable over Moon.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Traveller
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by Traveller » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:29 pm

All that matters is to put the very strongest England squad together within the rules. SBW plays a completely different sport for periods in-between world cups and then makes himself 'available' and the AB's don't hesitate to select him. All that matters is getting the strongest squad / team together. IM eva so 'umble O.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by BFG » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:09 am

I don't recall Marler doing anything in particular to earn an England recall.
I watched Julian White for several years and think he was more mobile and that was in the distant past and playing from tight head.
With less scrums and scrum feeding these days it is a backward step in my opinion and unless these things are magically going to change for the World Cup then Moon and Genge are much better options and are more than capable of coping either way.
The selection seems overly sentimental to me but then half the squad seems that way.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3454
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by JP14 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:21 am

I thought Marler has played well in this year's Premiership.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by BFG » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:44 am

JP14 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:21 am
I thought Marler has played well in this year's Premiership.
At Welford Road he certainly didn't!

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2360
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:51 am
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by Chobbsy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:53 am

Scott1 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:03 pm
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/991493169?-11081:2392

Marler makes himself "available" Heres a guy who wanted to disappear out of the public eye yet was in every podcast and in every interview he possibly could. Now one of Moon and Genge will miss out. I don't like it at all!
Add to that he really isn't a nice person either, really full of himself
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

DingDong
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 am

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by DingDong » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:46 am

Marler on form (and he has this past season) is a better scrummager than Moon or Genge so why not praise him for sorting his mindset out to get back in the England squad?

TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 795
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:16 pm
Location: London

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by TomWeston » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:50 am

DingDong wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:46 am
Marler on form (and he has this past season) is a better scrummager than .....Genge so why not praise him for sorting his mindset out to get back in the England squad?
I'd beg to differ on that, regarding tight play, and even Moon is better than Marler in the loose.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], JP14 and 2 guests