LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by RagingBull »

I think Grahamslaw is still here just they forgot to list him.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Who’s the higher rated, Grahamslaw or Hills?

Roleof Smit - linked yesterday, offer on the table but not taken up yet. Capped by SA once against Baa Baa’s. Had some injury problems, but watch the way he plays on the video below and you’ll see why.
https://youtu.be/3vshzWln4GI
Could be a very tidy acquisition.

I’d hope something could be juggled with both Smit and Blommetjies.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Wales Online: "Scarlets have released Clayton Blommetjies after one season, electing to pay him out of the final year of his contract in west Wales. His limited gametime would suggest he never reached satisfactory levels of fitness and it seems the region had lost patience. There is nothing official from the region just yet, but Blommetjies says he has been shown the door down and is now scrambling to find an employer next season."

I'm not sure he'd be that expensive! He's getting a year's salary from Scarlets and desperately needs to repair his reputation.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Flash

Post by Flash »

Are any players now in the development squad likely to feature in the first team this season? More a question if they could fill in if required rather than prominently feature.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Traveller wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:28 am The good news is that our sadly departed antipodean 'Marquee Player' was but in name only one and actual salary costs. Heaven knows how much he cost us per game. We could have had five Matt Smiths for him and we would have been stronger as a squad. So - if the money is being saved and it goes to Genge, May or the young man who almost single handedly saw that we avoided relegation - Master Ford - at least it will be going to someone who is committed to the club and who performs week in week out.

I know. I know. I should let it go. Don't tell me. I know I should. It's just frustrating when you've supported Tigers for 50 years and were never good enough to wear the shirt as a player, to see players who do get to wear it, not really appreciate what it is they are wearing.
Oh yes, I know that feeling all too well. Good post.. :smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

so Grahamslaw is 100% off then given his name has been removed from the squad page.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I dropped a hint on the squad analysis topic a few months ago!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:54 pm so Grahamslaw is 100% off then given his name has been removed from the squad page.
Headed to Glasgow or Edinburgh I guess then?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

James Whitcombe starting at Loosehead for Sydney Uni 1st Colts this weekend.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Good to see Jimmy Stevens back in training in the sunshine. Fingers crossed he’s back for next season as a great backup and bloke.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

the one position I worry most about is No 9 . Last Season we were very weak there - Youngs hardly played ( when was his last decent game for the Tigers anyway ?) , Harrison just not good enough( kicking is appalling) , I'm not sure that White really made progress , Simmons injured then ignored when fit .
When you look at many of the other Premiership sides you see real stardust at 9 - Reinach ,Hougard , even Care ! and I don't see much chance of improvement for Tigers unless Simmons is given an early chance to start and earn the starting role .
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

MikeR wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:03 am the one position I worry most about is No 9 . Last Season we were very weak there - Youngs hardly played ( when was his last decent game for the Tigers anyway ?) , Harrison just not good enough( kicking is appalling) , I'm not sure that White really made progress , Simmons injured then ignored when fit .
When you look at many of the other Premiership sides you see real stardust at 9 - Reinach ,Hougard , even Care ! and I don't see much chance of improvement for Tigers unless Simmons is given an early chance to start and earn the starting role .
I'd agree Youngs hasn't been performing that well of late in a Tigers shirt but he's still better than most 9's, White obviously caught some attention in his 1st senior season with his England call up and Simmons could be pretty special too. As for Harrison his kicking can be wayward sometimes but you can't ever fault his commitment.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Plus, a scrum-half's performance can often be influenced by the performance of the pack in front of him - arguably more than any other position on the park. With last season's pack one wonders how any scrum-half could have shone! Hope the upgrades we have next season correlates with a better performance from 9 and in turn to give our backs more of an opportunity.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Would add the rumoured addition of David Mele as a Scrum Half coach will hopefully improve things too
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RichieB wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:49 am Plus, a scrum-half's performance can often be influenced by the performance of the pack in front of him - arguably more than any other position on the park. With last season's pack one wonders how any scrum-half could have shone! Hope the upgrades we have next season correlates with a better performance from 9 and in turn to give our backs more of an opportunity.
Agree with this. I’m sure we will see more of White and Simmons as the season progresses as Harrison reportedly off to Australia.
I can’t see Young’s going anywhere, but do think Spencer will be pushing to be England’s first pick after the World Cup.

The guy I would like to see here is the Waikato chiefs 9 Brad Weber