Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by Scott1 »

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/991493169?-11081:2392

Marler makes himself "available" Heres a guy who wanted to disappear out of the public eye yet was in every podcast and in every interview he possibly could. Now one of Moon and Genge will miss out. I don't like it at all!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Maybe Genge starts the season with us? England RWC training squad

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:03 pm http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/991493169?-11081:2392

Marler makes himself "available" Heres a guy who wanted to disappear out of the public eye yet was in every podcast and in every interview he possibly could. Now one of Moon and Genge will miss out. I don't like it at all!
Not sure I agree with your take on this, firstly I don't think he ever said he didn't want to be in the public eye, he said he wanted to spend more time with his family. I agree that its not a good look for somebody who opted out to be brought back in so easily but its fair that Marler should be at least in the conversation if available, I suspect Marler may be a reserve and England will go with Mako and Genge
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:08 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:03 pm http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/991493169?-11081:2392

Not sure I agree with your take on this, firstly I don't think he ever said he didn't want to be in the public eye, he said he wanted to spend more time with his family. I agree that its not a good look for somebody who opted out to be brought back in so easily but its fair that Marler should be at least in the conversation if available, I suspect Marler may be a reserve and England will go with Mako and Genge
I believe his words were something like he was uneasy with being in the public glare. He is rugby unions answer to the boxer Tony Bellew imo.
But the very best of luck to him,he's a top player and if it helps England to win the RWC then go Joe!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:12 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:08 pm

I believe his words were something like he was uneasy with being in the public glare. He is rugby unions answer to the boxer Tony Bellew imo.
I'm sure your right, I just remember hearing him say that he had a young family and he wasn't enjoying being away from them during England camps and tours
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

You got a source of him saying it was the public glare.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I think Jones has said that he needs to prove himself back in camp first.
IMO he is there as there have to be concerns about Makos availability due to his recent injury history I read somewhere he is having to look at his technique due to the effect it is having on his body.

I do agree though that if Mako is available 3rd loosehead spot will turn into a shoot out between Moon and Genge
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:21 pm You got a source of him saying it was the public glare.
I just copied and pasted it off an article. Maybe he meant public glare specifically being a player but it didn't say that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indepe ... html%3famp

Maybe I've deciphered it wrong,I apologize if I have.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Everyone’s favourite Dallaglio retired from England then came back so it’s nothing new is it.

I reckon Genge’s power and ability as an impact player will make him preferable over Moon.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

All that matters is to put the very strongest England squad together within the rules. SBW plays a completely different sport for periods in-between world cups and then makes himself 'available' and the AB's don't hesitate to select him. All that matters is getting the strongest squad / team together. IM eva so 'umble O.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I don't recall Marler doing anything in particular to earn an England recall.
I watched Julian White for several years and think he was more mobile and that was in the distant past and playing from tight head.
With less scrums and scrum feeding these days it is a backward step in my opinion and unless these things are magically going to change for the World Cup then Moon and Genge are much better options and are more than capable of coping either way.
The selection seems overly sentimental to me but then half the squad seems that way.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I thought Marler has played well in this year's Premiership.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:21 am I thought Marler has played well in this year's Premiership.
At Welford Road he certainly didn't!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Add to that he really isn't a nice person either, really full of himself
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Marler on form (and he has this past season) is a better scrummager than Moon or Genge so why not praise him for sorting his mindset out to get back in the England squad?
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

DingDong wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:46 am Marler on form (and he has this past season) is a better scrummager than .....Genge so why not praise him for sorting his mindset out to get back in the England squad?
I'd beg to differ on that, regarding tight play, and even Moon is better than Marler in the loose.