Ringfencing finally here?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Ringfencing finally here?

Post by Scott1 »

Didn't Bristol effectively buy their promotion? Wuss and LI come back up because they kept their squad together and brought the best players in who were leagues above their opponents including international players? It's not fair I've heard because Championship teams won't be able to do their recruitment not knowing what league they will be in? Not a new thing,we've only just got rid of the Championship playoffs so it was the same then.
But there will be meaningless dead rubber games with no excitement others say. Were the games any less exciting or diluted when LI or LW were doomed early? No,not at all! On the contrary teams expanded their play,the shackles came off. Excuses are running out,the pros far outweighs the cons imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

I'm sure that relegation and promotion will not be seen as a pointless exercise in seasons to come. Many similarities with football, where there is a chasm between most Premier League sides and those in the Championship. It doesn't stop the excitement and encouragement of lower league teams to improve.

Whilst having pots of cash certainly makes a difference, it isn't the only factor in determining success. Several examples of teams doing comparitively well on a shoe-string and others who have done poorly in spite of money.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Exactly Richie,I think folk are getting a tad dewy-eyed over last season's one off exciting relegation cliffhanger. When has that ever happened?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:18 am Didn't Bristol effectively buy their promotion? Wuss and LI come back up because they kept their squad together and brought the best players in who were leagues above their opponents including international players? It's not fair I've heard because Championship teams won't be able to do their recruitment not knowing what league they will be in? Not a new thing,we've only just got rid of the Championship playoffs so it was the same then.
But there will be meaningless dead rubber games with no excitement others say. Were the games any less exciting or diluted when LI or LW were doomed early? No,not at all! On the contrary teams expanded their play,the shackles came off. Excuses are running out,the pros far outweighs the cons imo.
Yes, they all did. Which is one of the reasons the championship is on its knees already.

Effectively removing relegation/promotion will be the nail in the coffin. And the premiership will suffer as a result - where will they send young players out on loan etc?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RichieB wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:51 am I'm sure that relegation and promotion will not be seen as a pointless exercise in seasons to come. Many similarities with football, where there is a chasm between most Premier League sides and those in the Championship. It doesn't stop the excitement and encouragement of lower league teams to improve.

Whilst having pots of cash certainly makes a difference, it isn't the only factor in determining success. Several examples of teams doing comparitively well on a shoe-string and others who have done poorly in spite of money.
There are no similarities with football.
Football has the FA Cup in which you regularly see lower league sides knock out Premier League sides in one off matches.
A two legged play off in rugby is very much stacked in the Premiership teams favour though.
It's a set up and will flop like a lead balloon.
There is nothing that the British public dislike more than a set up.
I am already looking at how else to spend my monthly T.V subscription which will pay for two Championship matches a month for the wife and I, or one match with hospitality.
I intend to take some of my money elsewhere.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

With the PRC squashed,which I think it will be to fit in the extra games,and the elite player cap I'm hoping young squad members will get experience in more meaningful games. Plus imo the A league is a waste of time too sometimes in the sense that teams havnt got the squads to fulfill fixtures so end up calling games off. Why not join the A league with the PRC creating a new competition where there's a cap on players above a certain age something along those lines where maybe a GP club pairs with a Championship club and has to play say 2 of their players to create a potential pathway into the higher league. Plenty of good could come out of this if done right.
The club game is going to change,it will take over the international game and some point sadly I'm sure of it. I don't like it but we need to look forward and be ready.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I wouldn't object to the new proposal, to be honest. There's no perfect answer, but I would prefer the top two v the bottom two of the GP, annually.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

And isn't this going to benefit us? Posters are saying Murphy needs more time,so what about a full season with no relegation pressure where he's being mentored and can build his own style? Isn't that better for us?!
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Also, I believe that most players at this level are competitive and desperately want to win irrespective of league position. So, as regards the Premier League at least, there aren't very many games which are not strongly competed, even if the results can sometimes be one-sided (Exeter!!).
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think it’s still mind-boggling that there is no FA cup equivalent in rugby.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:22 pm I think it’s still mind-boggling that there is no FA cup equivalent in rugby.
:smt023
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

There was - the Pilkington cup, which was then Tetleys and then Powergen before it was replaced by the anglo-welsh cup.

It was pointless once professionalism came in. Premiership teams would invariably play weaker teams against the lower division team and always win. Crowds were poor because there was no chance of an upset, hence why it was scrapped. No one cared about it.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Premiership teams, for safety reasons are not allowed to play against teams two divisions below them. A full time professional scrum will probably be far to strong for a pack made up of part timers and amateurs and there would be a strong possibility of someone getting seriously hurt.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:09 pm Premiership teams, for safety reasons are not allowed to play against teams two divisions below them. A full time professional scrum will probably be far to strong for a pack made up of part timers and amateurs and there would be a strong possibility of someone getting seriously hurt.
I have to agree at this stage.
England should try to follow the example of the French leagues in my opinion and create more than one relegation/promotion place by adopting two up and down.
This would bring more investment to the Championship and the two closer.
Perhaps then a joint cup competition could evolve in the future but I fear there is too much self interest involved to see the bigger picture.
Both leagues will be less meaningful under the proposals.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

BFG wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:20 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:09 pm Premiership teams, for safety reasons are not allowed to play against teams two divisions below them. A full time professional scrum will probably be far to strong for a pack made up of part timers and amateurs and there would be a strong possibility of someone getting seriously hurt.
I have to agree at this stage.
England should try to follow the example of the French leagues in my opinion and create more than one relegation/promotion place by adopting two up and down.
This would bring more investment to the Championship and the two closer.
Perhaps then a joint cup competition could evolve in the future but I fear there is too much self interest involved to see the bigger picture.
Both leagues will be less meaningful under the proposals.
there's a reason why most promoted Championship sides barely win a game and go down with a whimper