Howard to mentor Murphy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by RagingBull »

On Gloucester, I think the Cipriani comment is fair.
The challenge cup final isn't that much to brag about, they did make the previous final of that comp the year before without Ackermann, they finished 7th last season and only got into the Champions cup due to other clubs results.

Gloucester have done well this season, but the difference between them with and without Cipriani is pretty big.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BFG wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:36 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:10 pm :smt023
BFG wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:08 pm
The super rugby nause strikes again!
I don't know why you just don't get yourself a one way ticket out of here if it's so bad!
Ackermann's team is not as well coached without Thorley and in particular Cipriani playing, fact!
The debate of how lost Gloucester can look without Cipriani playing aside, I do find it a little bit funny that the Ackermann's coaching is seen as so superior to Leicester's and yet it's overlooked that Leicester did in fact beat Goucester 34-16 in the last meeting!
Or when Gloucester lost 15-30 to Sale at Kingshlom with a starting xv of Tom Hudson; Charlie Sharples, Henry Trinder, Billy Twelvetrees, Matt Banahan; Owen Williams, Willi Heinz (capt); Josh Hohneck, Jaco Visagie, Fraser Balmain, Ed Slater, Franco Mostert, Lewis Ludlow, Jaco Kriel, Ben Morgan
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Its like posters are conveniently forgetting that Gloc were the king's of inconsistency long before Cips got there ,but hey once they've planted their flag and set the narrative
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

He has improved them but not by much, last season IMO was one of the worst in terms of overall guilty in the premiership.
Gloucester are genuinely not that far ahead of the other 9 prem clubs below them, despite pinching a lot of Lions players.

IMO Boyd has been miles ahead of him given his relative short player turnaround IMO and I wish we had went with DOR: Boyd, Head Coach: Murphy. The last preseason was Tigers biggest cock up, they wanted MOC to leave by his own accord and was banking on him not returning from Aus (Which he did late).

I just don't understand why people just don't want to give Murphy a proper chance with it.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:09 pm From when Cockers was here we've had a long series of moans about Cockers, Scott (justified), Mauger (justified IMO), MOC (doubly justified) and now Smurf. Two patterns, a Board that lost direction and a bunch of moaners on the forum.
Now it's all happening, what do we have? Moaning.
Just hope that the club is bought by a fan or perhaps King Power, not an equity corp or anyone like the Glazers.
You are spot on.
An extremely repetitive handful.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

People have no sense of reality.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

BigDan50 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:35 pm Are you a fan because their ex Tigers or because you think there talented coaches (which there not)
Are you a fan because they are ex Tigers?

Possibly...I got to see Pat play in development games and coach on the pitch. I was impressed.

Do I think they are talented coaches? In my opinion Pat is one of the best we've had. If he can influence Geordan and get him coaching in the same manner as he did, I think we will do well.

Just my opinion.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

So Tigers recruit a head coach then recruit mentors, who are more experienced, to mentor a head coach?

Surreal, you just couldn't make this stuff up :smt043
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

What?
voice of the crumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by voice of the crumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:01 pm I just don't understand why people just don't want to give Murphy a proper chance with it.
Because if they did they would have to stop moaning on this forum. That would severely curtail the activity of certain posters and dramatically reduce the number of posts.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Maybe I'm biased having mentored more than a few business people in my time but...

A young player gets coached - everyone happy.

A young coach gets mentored - people up in arms.

I've mentored CEOs, MDs etc, all of whom were happy to admit they benefited from an independent guide, confidant and counsellor. Nothing unusual here, guys!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
voice of the crumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by voice of the crumbie »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:03 pm Maybe I'm biased having mentored more than a few business people in my time but...

I've mentored CEOs, MDs etc, all of whom were happy to admit they benefited from an independent guide, confidant and counsellor. Nothing unusual here, guys!
Spot on SC. We seem to have forgotten the old adage "two heads are better than one."
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

G.K wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:44 pm So Tigers recruit a head coach then recruit mentors, who are more experienced, to mentor a head coach?

Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

... yes, two heads are better than one, but should he not be bouncing ideas off his coaching staff.
In football there is a number two, who is the buffer between the players and the manager. Most importantly he is the guy who will help you to straegise and honest enough to let you know when you are wrong.
Will this mentoring work,, only time will tell, but what does it say about the rest of his coaching team.
On a slightly different note, the addition of Mike Ford seem to illicit a word which became a mantra with the team "clarity".
We put our faith in GM but I suspect we are mentoring a person whose skills are not suitable for the position he holds.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:03 pm Maybe I'm biased having mentored more than a few business people in my time but...

The point, which you've obviously missed, is that GM is the head coach not a junior or assistant coach. In what world does the boss get mentored?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.