Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Ringfencing finally here?

Post by Scott1 »

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/date-set ... rship-vote

So just as I said,no relegation next season with the Championship winning team promoted to a 13 team league. Then the season after the bottom placed GP team plays the top Championship team over two legs for a place in the GP. Very fair imo. Thoughts?
It's not definite yet but I think this could have been already decided with the CVC cash injection so I'd be very surprised if it doesn't pass.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Ringfencing finally here?

Post by RichieB »

Seems reasonable. I can forsee some scheduling and logistical issues for the extra 2 games which I am sure are not insuperable. Also need to bear in mind the new playing time limits being imposed particularly on the elite players.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

First playoff could be played on the Friday of the semifinals weekend.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

This is perhaps the best of both worlds, keep all shareholders of the prem in the league whilst maintaining a chance of promotion for the Championship teams such as Ealing and maybe Coventry.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Get rid of the dreadful PRC for the extra space needed and with the elite player game cap it means your squad players getting experience in more meaningful games. What's not to like?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I don't agree with it and it makes a mockery of the entire season.
There is a danger of half empty stadiums for most of the season for better supported clubs.
The less supported clubs don't care as they are more interested in T.V money but that might also suffer in my opinion as there is less value in subscribing to television matches over the course of the entire season just to be decided by play offs.
It might be me gone!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Half empty stadiums? Why?! There's still playoffs and European qualification to play for,I see a lot of posters across sites and social media pointing out last season "exciting" relegation run-in as a reason why it shouldn't happen. Yeah becsuse it's like that very season isnt it? Smh!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:11 am Half empty stadiums? Why?! There's still playoffs and European qualification to play for,I see a lot of posters across sites and social media pointing out last season "exciting" relegation run-in as a reason why it shouldn't happen. Yeah becsuse it's like that very season isnt it? Smh!
I think you probably answered your own question!
I'll still attend Leicester when it suits, that won't change, but my television subscription will likely go as there will be less interest in watching for me.
The planned relegation play off is little more than loading the dice in my opinion.
I've never really liked the Premiership play offs for the title to be honest, it devalues watching an entire season just to be decided in the last couple of weeks.
You are quite welcome to your own opinion.
I'll make my own mind up!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So you've made your mind up on one one in a million relegation race? There's historically always been a whipping boy replaced by a whipping boy. If the Championship winners can't beat the bottom placed team then they don't deserve to be in the top league imo. And the bottom team gets another chance. The bye will add to player welfare and the extra couple of games and player appearance cap will determine your squad playing more meaningful games. Nothing not to like but that's just my opinion
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The gap between Premiership and Championship rugby is huge that is why a promoted team has to recruit heavily before starting their Premiership campaign even then they usually struggle. The chances of Championship winners beating the bottom Premiership team are slim as we found when a similar system was tried before, this proposal is ring fencing in all but name, investors in second tier clubs will not be be spending money bringing stadiums up to standard when there little or no chance of promotion.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

by johnthegriff » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:37 am

The gap between Premiership and Championship rugby is huge that is why a promoted team has to recruit heavily before starting their Premiership campaign even then they usually struggle. The chances of Championship winners beating the bottom Premiership team are slim as we found when a similar system was tried before, this proposal is ring fencing in all but name, investors in second tier clubs will not be be spending money bringing stadiums up to standard when there little or no chance of promotion.

absolutely spot on John.

there are also player welfare concerns - extra team = extra games.

I would propose 2 teams come up and then split the league into 2 conferences as per pro 14. each team plays others in own conference home and away and teams in other conference once. Top team in each conference meet in final to decide overall champion. Bottom team in each conference relegated to Championship and replaced by top 2 from Championship.

No parachute payment instead extra 1 million salary cap allowance for promoted teams in 1st season up.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:37 pm The gap between Premiership and Championship rugby is huge that is why a promoted team has to recruit heavily before starting their Premiership campaign even then they usually struggle. The chances of Championship winners beating the bottom Premiership team are slim as we found when a similar system was tried before, this proposal is ring fencing in all but name, investors in second tier clubs will not be be spending money bringing stadiums up to standard when there little or no chance of promotion.
Yep. Just have a feeling the championship will wither and die.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maire88 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:20 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:37 pm The gap between Premiership and Championship rugby is huge that is why a promoted team has to recruit heavily before starting their Premiership campaign even then they usually struggle. The chances of Championship winners beating the bottom Premiership team are slim as we found when a similar system was tried before, this proposal is ring fencing in all but name, investors in second tier clubs will not be be spending money bringing stadiums up to standard when there little or no chance of promotion.
Yep. Just have a feeling the championship will wither and die.
Which is exactly what Premiership Rugby want it seems! They just want a great yawning chasm below their precious league as they can’t see beyond the end of their own noses :smt013
Apologies for the rant but as a fan of a Championship team it’s not only worrying but annoying that basically we’re being told we should be happy with what would essentially be a meaningless league.
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I don’t think the Championship will be meaningless as promotion is still possible.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

It will become meaningless - literally, the only way a championship team will beat any premiership team over two legs is to have an incredibly expensive squad already in place, effectively buying their promotion. If it was a one off game then you might get the odd surprise, but even that is unlikely.

Remember the old Tetleys/Powergen cup when the premiership went professional? How many upsets were there then when premiership teams played championship teams?

A 10 team top league and a ten team championship would be better IMO.