Players retirement

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Players retirement

Post by fleabane »

Following on from the Sarries thread, just how much do you expect clubs to do to prepare players for their retirement?
Valhalla I am coming!
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Players retirement

Post by teds »

fleabane wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:00 am Following on from the Sarries thread, just how much do you expect clubs to do to prepare players for their retirement?
I’d actually like to see clubs fully prepare players for their employment first, but that’s not the question you asked.

I would like to see RFU & PRL link up with Sport England and set up a panel on looking after people who have to “retire” at an early age. This would focus on sports players initially but would be equally relevant to other professions as appropriate, as a wild example professional ballerinas have a brutal existence.

The remit should focus on three elements
1. Re-training for a different career (which can start before they leave including training and work experience)
2. Adapting to a lower intensity but still demanding physical regime
3. Dealing with psychological stress

Specific to the premiership I’d like to see 3% of players salaries being donated to a fund to provide extra help for players for whom injury forces them to retire before they are 30. I’d like to see HMRC involved in these arrangements to give tax exemption.

I would also like to see all Premiership first team squad members (ie those included in the cap) qualify for a tax rebate of £3k for every Qualifying year in first class rugby up to a max of £30 k which they can receive as a parachute payment for their first year after professional sport.

I’d also like to see salary cap exemption for squad players who retire through injury midway through a season - this may already be unofficially covered to a degree by injury dispensations, where players retirement is not confirmed until end of the season.

I also would like to see HMRC advisors be paid to come into clubs to explain to players, that irrespective of what they are told by their club owners accountants, it is their personal responsibility to ensure that they accurately complete their tax returns.

I’ve made a few positive suggestions here so forgive me making one you may view as negative.

What I don’t want to see is players receiving cash as shares in a property business in their name, outside of the salary cap. I am not sure it really helps them.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Tough game admittedly, but they are paid well, often at a young age. They can make their own provisions.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Not all are paid well, particularly those who are only just on the edge of playing in the Premiership.

To say they can look after themselves, when their careers may end instantly is callous.
Valhalla I am coming!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

fleabane wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:44 pm Not all are paid well, particularly those who are only just on the edge of playing in the Premiership.

To say they can look after themselves, when their careers may end instantly is callous.
Please remember, No one is forced to become a professional rugby player, only an idiot would not recognise his career could end before its began. Responsible people should take this into account, complete their studies before taking up the contract and as they age consider retraining for the afters, they shouldn't just expect free hand outs, they do have a responsibility to consider the future, no one can go on forever.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Young people are often idiots when judged by an older generation. Not all top rugby players or sportspeople generally are academically gifted and suited to further study after the school leaving age. Participation in established training times with a professional club may not be possible or compatible with University study times and failure to be involved with those training sessions and exposure to a fitness and conditioning routine could see a young man physically behind his age group peers on completion of his degree.
Fleabane is correct more should be done by Premier Rugby and the RFU to help and ensure players retiring are equipped for the world of normal work particularly if their careers end suddenly. They should not have to use the compensation for a contract ending suddenly to finance retraining whilst possibly having to pay a mortgage and support a young family. It should not just be left to the individual employer (Club).
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:03 pm Young people are often idiots when judged by an older generation. Not all top rugby players or sportspeople generally are academically gifted and suited to further study after the school leaving age. Participation in established training times with a professional club may not be possible or compatible with University study times and failure to be involved with those training sessions and exposure to a fitness and conditioning routine could see a young man physically behind his age group peers on completion of his degree.
Fleabane is correct more should be done by Premier Rugby and the RFU to help and ensure players retiring are equipped for the world of normal work particularly if their careers end suddenly. They should not have to use the compensation for a contract ending suddenly to finance retraining whilst possibly having to pay a mortgage and support a young family. It should not just be left to the individual employer (Club).
John,
When they first sign up as 16-18yr olds, they are still under the guidance (or should be) of their parents, who should be advising them of the possible risks they are likely to face!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

fleabane wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:44 pm Not all are paid well, particularly those who are only just on the edge of playing in the Premiership.

[/quote

A bit of an over reaction imo. Other people have to manage. There are plenty of non physical jobs out there.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:17 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:03 pm Young people are often idiots when judged by an older generation. Not all top rugby players or sportspeople generally are academically gifted and suited to further study after the school leaving age. Participation in established training times with a professional club may not be possible or compatible with University study times and failure to be involved with those training sessions and exposure to a fitness and conditioning routine could see a young man physically behind his age group peers on completion of his degree.
John,
When they first sign up as 16-18yr olds, they are still under the guidance (or should be) of their parents, who should be advising them of the possible risks they are likely to face!
Tell me of one teenager who listens to their parents at that age lol.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:20 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:17 pm
John,
Tell me of one teenager who listens to their parents at that age lol.
You can be the first. :smt052
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Johnthegriff: Well put.
Valhalla I am coming!
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maire88 »

I have some sympathy with those who lose their careers fairly suddenly.
Although I am not a pro rugby player, I lost my nursing career fairly soon after being diagnosed with cancer. I was 31 years of age and left with disabilities that were incompatible with nursing.
It was an absolutely devastating time. To suddenly be told that you will never work again in the only profession you’ve ever known, and on top of that the disability will change your life completely which is not impossible in a retiring rugby player, is incomprehensible.
I would say to all of you here making light of it- don’t mock what you don’t understand. Sometimes you don’t see things coming and no-one ever wakes up in the morning thinking ‘oh I’m going to lose my livelihood today’ Yes granted there are some preparations one can make but I’m sure no-one expects to have to retire prematurely.
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

maire88 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:12 pm I have some sympathy with those who lose their careers fairly suddenly.
Although I am not a pro rugby player, I lost my nursing career fairly soon after being diagnosed with cancer. I was 31 years of age and left with disabilities that were incompatible with nursing.
It was an absolutely devastating time. To suddenly be told that you will never work again in the only profession you’ve ever known, and on top of that the disability will change your life completely which is not impossible in a retiring rugby player, is incomprehensible.
I would say to all of you here making light of it- don’t mock what you don’t understand. Sometimes you don’t see things coming and no-one ever wakes up in the morning thinking ‘oh I’m going to lose my livelihood today’ Yes granted there are some preparations one can make but I’m sure no-one expects to have to retire prematurely.
There is one major difference here, most careers tend to be viewed as long term. Rugby has an element of certainty, you won’t be playing in to old age, and it’s unlikely you’ll be rich enough to retire from your playing career. If you fail to prepare for this glaringly obvious situation, you’re a fool.

That said, the clubs and RFU maybe should have a hand but I don’t think HMRC etc should make provisions.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

fleabane wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:17 pm Johnthegriff: Well put.
Johnthegriff was merely stating the obvious of which only an idiot would be unaware and only the callous would ignore. Unfortunately ....
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

anz3001 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:22 pm That said, the clubs and RFU maybe should have a hand but I don’t think HMRC etc should make provisions.
Sorry anz, are you saying you don’t think HMRC should make any provision at all, or that you think the provisions they make currently are exactly right, and no changes are needed?