Howard to mentor Murphy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by BigDan50 »

Why does Murphy need someone to mentor him, you are either good enough or not.
Hiring Howard to mentor Murphy is an admission by the board that Murphy is not up to the job, and in my opinion he never will be.
More poor decisions by a board of directors who have let the supporters down over the last five years.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

BigDan50 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:28 am Why does Murphy need someone to mentor him, you are either good enough or not.
Hiring Howard to mentor Murphy is an admission by the board that Murphy is not up to the job, and in my opinion he never will be.
More poor decisions by a board of directors who have let the supporters down over the last five years.
Spot on, the BOD have completely lost the plot by continuing religiously to gamble away the future success of our great club on Murphy. No wonder they have decided to sell the club as they remain demonstrably unfit to own and run it.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sapajo wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:56 am
BigDan50 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:28 am Why does Murphy need someone to mentor him, you are either good enough or not.
Spot on, the BOD have completely lost the plot by continuing religiously to gamble away the future success of our great club on Murphy. No wonder they have decided to sell the club as they remain demonstrably unfit to own and run it.
I think it's a good to have someone else to bounce ideas off.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Or maybe there's an as yet unannounced DOR coming in at some point in the future?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:00 am
Or maybe there's an as yet unannounced DOR coming in at some point in the future?
Or maybe the BOD just want Tigers people in to help the transition be smoother after the sale? Should I ask that question with a straight face? :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:29 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:00 am
Or maybe the BOD just want Tigers people in to help the transition be smoother after the sale? Should I ask that question with a straight face? :smt005
I just think with the nature of the role, Tigers saying someone would probably come in alongside Murphy, this may well be the stop gap until that person arrives. I suspect we’re after a top line DoR - and several of those will be under contract til the end of RWC2019.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Why would that happen if we are up for sale? I expect their mind to be changed in getting in a new DOR now and everything to stay the same,unless one has already been appointed.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:03 pm Board must go major change required, so club being sold.......must be a sell out, profiteering, lack of commitment by the Board.

Coaches out of their depth, so quality additions appointed.......not more ex Tigers, being done on the cheap.

Anyone else bored with the endless negativity :smt015 :smt015
+1

And having read the intervening comments, while you can't please all the people all of the time, you can/will annoy some Tigers supporters all of the time (although not always the same people).
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

sapajo wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:56 am
So we should have a new person in charge of the players. And when should that have happened? At the end of the season, when all the recruitment has been done and the new "DoR" would have their hands tied for a season. Before recruitment began? So we would be on our 5th "DoR" in double quick time. Whoever got the job of replacing MO'C was going to be given the job for 2 seasons minimum unless a real disaster happened.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not every coach does well in their first head coach year.
Steve Hansen had a 11 game losing streak in charge of Wales and finished with a 33% win rate.
Gatland was sacked by Ireland
Eddie Jones finished 10th in the super 12 with the Brumbies.
Flash

Post by Flash »

It seems sensible to have a period of stability so it makes that Murphy stays. It also seems sensible that because we have some inexperienced coaches we bring in some experience, Ford ticks this box. It's also obvious Murphy lacks experience so it seems very sensible to bring a mentor in.

I don't see what else the club could do to improve the coaching set up(although a new forwards coach would be quite nice).
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Flash wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:11 pm
I don't see what else the club could do to improve the coaching set up(although a new forwards coach would be quite nice).
Simples, appoint a proven world class DOR not a totally inexperienced Ex Tiger (now mentored by an Ex Tiger) whose only qualification for the job remains just that.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Flash

Post by Flash »

sapajo wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:21 pm
Simples, appoint a proven world class DOR not a totally inexperienced Ex Tiger (now mentored by an Ex Tiger) whose only qualification for the job remains just that.
What and replace them again if their first season isn't good enough?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Flash wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:46 pm
sapajo wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:21 pm
What and replace them again if their first season isn't good enough?
One year? How many years as "skills" coach?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

From when Cockers was here we've had a long series of moans about Cockers, Scott (justified), Mauger (justified IMO), MOC (doubly justified) and now Smurf. Two patterns, a Board that lost direction and a bunch of moaners on the forum.
Now it's all happening, what do we have? Moaning.
Just hope that the club is bought by a fan or perhaps King Power, not an equity corp or anyone like the Glazers.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.