Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 pm
strawclearer wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:26 pm Chris Jones saying Mike Ford will be covering Attack. (Not sure whether that's overall or backs...)
Hopefully overall. The main upturn in Bath during his time there was the attacking patterns. Working the forwards round the corner and offering multiple carrying options for the halfbacks made them very difficult to defend against and forced the opposition to defend quite narrow allowing the backs space. With our signings this summer we could bring this in to good effect.
Yep that was the master plan and put together to a man with an impressively strong and mobile pack.
It breaks one side or the other.
Still ran into a brick wall against Sarries, make sure Veainu is fit for these games, and see Tigers with Burns at 10 for more attacking plans.
Also see Bristol last season before George Smith got red carded.
Sarries enjoy nothing more than conformity to defend against.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:59 am
strawclearer wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:26 pm Chris Jones saying Mike Ford will be covering Attack. (Not sure whether that's overall or backs...)
Hopefully overall. The main upturn in Bath during his time there was the attacking patterns. Working the forwards round the corner and offering multiple carrying options for the halfbacks made them very difficult to defend against and forced the opposition to defend quite narrow allowing the backs space. With our signings this summer we could bring this in to good effect.
Yep that was the master plan and put together to a man with an impressively strong and mobile pack.
Still ran into a brick wall against Sarries, make sure Veainu is fit for these games, and see Tigers with Burns at 10 for more attacking plans.
I liked Burns but whereas one week you'd get attacking genius the next he'd be virtually anonymous. Sometimes you'd get both in the same game. It's why I quite liked the idea of moving him to 15 and having come into the line on front foot ball with a licence to create and launch counter attacks from kicks over the top.

That Bath prem final against Sarries just looked a step to far for that Bath side. There were a lot of handling errors from forwards particularly who struggled to play the game plan flat to the line knowing the Sarries defence was waiting for them. You've got to admire the brutal and efficient simplicity in the way Sarries have dominated the club game.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:16 am
BFG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:59 am

I liked Burns but whereas one week you'd get attacking genius the next he'd be virtually anonymous. Sometimes you'd get both in the same game. It's why I quite liked the idea of moving him to 15 and having come into the line on front foot ball with a licence to create and launch counter attacks from kicks over the top.

That Bath prem final against Sarries just looked a step to far for that Bath side. There were a lot of handling errors from forwards particularly who struggled to play the game plan flat to the line knowing the Sarries defence was waiting for them. You've got to admire the brutal and efficient simplicity in the way Sarries have dominated the club game.
Unpredictability is needed against Saracens whilst not running yourself out of steam in my opinion.
They destroy sides in that early middle to latter part of the game.
Let go the ball on the floor and pick and go again, when they hold on the floor then get on the refs case, chips into that space behind Farrell, the return on their kicking tactics, our kicking tactics - ensure the ball always hits the turf (or plastic) etc.
Their defensive structure must be about at the peak of what is possible, teams need to play outside of that a bit more.
Jack Nowell in the Premiership Final this year, they couldn't cope with him.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Makes you think,which two teams are more likely to beat Sarries? Hurricanes Toulouse or Crusaders Clermont. The former two of the best teams in the world in broken play,the latter two of the best strike move teams. You'd have to say the former,once Sarries defence is set it's almost unbreakable. Unpredictably or organised chaos is needed. Although Crusaders are the only team in club rugby who could possibly outsarries Sarries. A world club championship is something I'd definitely attend. Sorry for veering off topic,that is a reply though.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Has anyone heard any more about Hanro Liebenberg joining us, it seems to have gone very quiet
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:53 am Has anyone heard any more about Hanro Liebenberg joining us, it seems to have gone very quiet
Maybe we're waiting for a few other things to be sorted first. :smt001
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

He's confirmed it a couple of times to fans on Instagram. Think the club will lap up the publicity off the proposed sale for this week and then announce 3-5 signings next week. Vijeon, Liebenburg, Coghlan and at a guess id say we're still a prop or two short so surely in the market there.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:44 pm Update:

Chris Jones replies "My understanding is Murphy as DOR/HC, with Ford (attack), Bakewell (forwards), Blake (defence) plus Deacon & Stankovich, with Pat Howard playing the Brendan Venter role... hope that clears it up"

So...Blake and Bakewell remain - contrary to many hopes and, indeed, expectations.
If the coaching team doesn’t change then there is going to be a huge amount of pressure on them to make sure things click and we’re fighting in the top half of the table. Can’t be any more excuses if there aren’t any changes.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Kalamafoni is currently training with Tigers for preseason, the Tonga training squad for the World Cup is yet to be announced but does this mean that Sione won't be going to Japan?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Taufua could be called up by Samoa for the World Cup.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:23 am Kalamafoni is currently training with Tigers for preseason, the Tonga training squad for the World Cup is yet to be announced but does this mean that Sione won't be going to Japan?
It's more likely that Tonga can't afford an extended training camp and so we'll have Kalamafoni until mid to late August. Plus I think PRL have kicked off about releasing players early without compensation?
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Tiger93 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:20 am He's confirmed it a couple of times to fans on Instagram. Think the club will lap up the publicity off the proposed sale for this week and then announce 3-5 signings next week. Vijeon, Liebenburg, Coghlan and at a guess id say we're still a prop or two short so surely in the market there.
I’m not sure there’ll be any more props.
Genge, Bateman, Gigena, Grahamslaw/Hills
Cole, Leatigaga, Heyes, Cortes
Six senior props, and two younger props, I think that’ll be your lot.

I’d like to think there’ll be a project at second row and/or back row, based on how close the club see Jordan, Lavin, Gough and Smith to being ready to step up. Likewise a genuine senior 7 to compete/backup Thompson unless Reffell is trusted to take that spot.
Beyond that, an additional back three player.

I think Forward coach is the most critical coaching appointment to be addressed, as without a dynamic and dominant pack, we’re going to struggle generate the quality of ball to implement any kind of attacking intensity. Blake ‘may’ at least be able to tighten the defence with a proper preseason.
Flash

Post by Flash »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:23 am Plus I think PRL have kicked off about releasing players early without compensation?
I think World Rugby put their hands in their pockets and sorted that out.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:29 pm
Tiger93 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:20 am He's confirmed it a couple of times to fans on Instagram. Think the club will lap up the publicity off the proposed sale for this week and then announce 3-5 signings next week. Vijeon, Liebenburg, Coghlan and at a guess id say we're still a prop or two short so surely in the market there.
I’m not sure there’ll be any more props.
Genge, Bateman, Gigena, Grahamslaw/Hills
Cole, Leatigaga, Heyes, Cortes
Six senior props, and two younger props, I think that’ll be your lot.

I’d like to think there’ll be a project at second row and/or back row, based on how close the club see Jordan, Lavin, Gough and Smith to being ready to step up. Likewise a genuine senior 7 to compete/backup Thompson unless Reffell is trusted to take that spot.
Beyond that, an additional back three player.

I think Forward coach is the most critical coaching appointment to be addressed, as without a dynamic and dominant pack, we’re going to struggle generate the quality of ball to implement any kind of attacking intensity. Blake ‘may’ at least be able to tighten the defence with a proper preseason.
Not sure about these pair.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Thought Grahamslaw was highly rated?
Maybe if they leave, there will be room for another additional prop. Maybe a RWC raw prospect from Eastern Europe, Pacific Islander or Namibia etc