LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by ABClub »

Taufua can play seven as well, although he views himself a blindside primarily.

I think Reffell will feature prominently this season. He is very well considered by the coaches but also very respected by the senior players it seems. I can't wait to see him perform in full strength sides.

Rumours Lewis will transition to blindside this season, a good move given his pace. That combined with rumours of Tigers being in contact with Alun Wyn-Jones and Donnacha Ryan make me think the back row recruitment is likely done with Lewis and Reffell promoted from the development squad along with Liebenberg and Coghlan to be added. It seems that cap left is being targeted at a lock.

If Denton does retire then that will be a different story as a replacement will be needed.

I've said it many times before but I still think Ed Milne would be an excellent player to bring back into the set-up. He covers 8, 6 and lock to high standard, carries well and wouldn't cost a fortune.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tafua isn't a 7. It was just cover,I will despair if we start this 6 at 7 nonsense again! I'd hope we learnt by now with our years of BR imbalance!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

All this scrum nonsense is the reason why we’re still in n the dark ages and everyone else has moved on ! It’s great to have a decent scrum, yes, but have Sarries or Exeter dominated at scrum time ? Not particularly but they have got 2 front rows a piece who can carry, offload, have good ball skills and intelligence in terms of doing the right thing, seeing space and generally being savvy around the field. Genge aside, we don’t have any of that.

I just had a moment there.....thinking about Ayerza. What a player he was, uncompromising, intelligent with a great skill set/pair of hands. You look at other props “most difficult opponent” and he features a lot.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

He was 'most difficult opponent' because of his scrummaging ability, not his handling.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:27 pm I am an optimist and have bought tickets and secured accomodation in Marsaille for the Heineken/ Challenge Cup weekend.
Good man jg!! Now, go and uncork another bottle of rouge as a reward for your optimism!!
Semper in excretia
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:50 am Tafua isn't a 7. It was just cover,I will despair if we start this 6 at 7 nonsense again! I'd hope we learnt by now with our years of BR imbalance!
With Thompson, Reffell and Coghlan in the squad for next season we should see at least one player in the backrow that will compete for everything. Liebenburg likes to get stuck in as well. Hopefully the likes of a Fitzgerald/Williams/Kalamafoni backrow won't be seen again. One of the reasons we were light years behind the big teams last season was because they had an entire pack that would compete everywhere for everything and wouldn't concede too many penalties and we had Thompson and sometimes BOC and Cole. Whole dynamic of the pack needs changing.
TomWeston wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:27 am He was 'most difficult opponent' because of his scrummaging ability, not his handling.
Amazing scrummager but Marcos ran some good lines and knew how to use the ball. Compared to some of the modern day props who are almost additional number 8s he isn't that flash but back when he was at his peak and you compare him to someone like Sheridan or Corbisiero he was more dynamic. Wish we could unearth another gem like Marcos.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Milne would be a good player to bring back.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

TomWeston wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:27 am He was 'most difficult opponent' because of his scrummaging ability, not his handling.

With the utmost respect Tom, I think you need to watch this. Apart from his renowned scrummaging ability he displays some excellent handling including one outrageous "out the back door" pass, some crunching tackles and an eye for the try line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPf8cI36ltQ

All this and an intelligent humble man as well.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

He was a man of all talents.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:57 am

With the utmost respect Tom, I think you need to watch this. Apart from his renowned scrummaging ability he displays some excellent handling including one outrageous "out the back door" pass, some crunching tackles and an eye for the try line.

Thanks, voct! Impressive stuff!
Semper in excretia
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:05 am
johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:27 pm I am an optimist and have bought tickets and secured accomodation in Marsaille for the Heineken/ Challenge Cup weekend.
Good man jg!! Now, go and uncork another bottle of rouge as a reward for your optimism!!
You might want to look at this
https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/train/fr ... -marseille
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:57 am

I can’t disagree with any of your assessment of Marcos and I know his varied skill set but “his opponents” rating him ‘most difficult’ will likely be those who scrummaged against him, and almost invariably were bested.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

loretta wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:42 am You might want to look at this
Looks good to me! You'll either have to change in Lille (just a change of platform) or in Paris (change of station Gare du Nord/Gare de Lyon), so changing in Lille would by far the simpler option, and it beats flying and burghering about getting to and from airports!
If I lived in Leicester, I'd certainly go by train, as I'll probably do from home near Toulouse.
Semper in excretia
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:45 pm
loretta wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:42 am You might want to look at this
Looks good to me! You'll either have to change in Lille (just a change of platform) or in Paris (change of station Gare du Nord/Gare de Lyon), so changing in Lille would by far the simpler option, and it beats flying and burghering about getting to and from airports!
If I lived in Leicester, I'd certainly go by train, as I'll probably do from home near Toulouse.
Did Nuneaton to Avignon last year. A breeze, no long early arrivals at the airport or waiting for baggage and transfers. Left home doorstep at 7, had an hour and a half in Paris for lunch, arrived at hotel at 5 in the afternoon. While we were fortunate to get the views from the upper level, the TGV was an absolute pleasure. Booked well in advance and the prices rivaled budget airlines, and you don't get a champagne bar on Ryanair!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

When we played Toulon the Away Supporters Club went by coach to St Pancras and
Eurostar to Paris, TGV from to Paris Tulon, I took about 140 people and didn't lose any body, except Paul who brought Brenda's passport.