LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Goshengareth

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by Goshengareth »

Gustard was very much a winner as a coach at Sarries and at England.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Gustard is a far better coach than any of the coaches employed by Tigers, shame really as I can't see us getting into the top 6 with the coaches we have especially Murphy who is just not good enough.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Any announcements today then.....?
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

Doesn't look like it, haven't done the usual clock image or popcorn with some token '...'

We're probably about 9 players short still so you'd think we'd be getting a move on.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I am working at the West Indies v Bangladesh cricket game and all I want to see is Gayle cutting loose and some popcorn Monday cheer...after last season I think we deserve a treat!!
There is never any points for 2nd place...
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:58 am Any announcements today then.....?
I thought they may have announced Coughlan, Viljoen and maybe Thomas due to the regular Super Rugby season being over now but I guess they're keeping their powder dry for Leibenberg to be done with the Bulls first
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Spoiler alert... No cutting loose and no popcorn!!! Sad day.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bulls qualified for the knockout stages so I guess it will be a while before Liebenberg will be officially announced.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

But I can’t see the Bulls beating the Hurricanes in the quarterfinal.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Tiger93 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:12 am Doesn't look like it, haven't done the usual clock image or popcorn with some token '...'

We're probably about 9 players short still so you'd think we'd be getting a move on.
Agreed. Particularly as we enter the back end of June. It's a bit concerning.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:14 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:02 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:26 pm

Gustard won’t win anything, neither will Ackerman...serial runner-up. Boyd though....
I'd love to know what you're basing this on. Ackermann and Gustard both have better rugby CVs than Baxter and McCall when they first arrived in the Prem and have made more progress in less time.
I’m basing it on what Ackerman did with the Lions. Yes, he got them to finals but couldn’t win it. Gustard has improved Quins, but I don’t think he’ll get them into a position where they win anything. Progress is one thing, but actually winning something is different.
I'm sure we can all agree that Ackermann, Gustard and Boyd are all miles better than any of the coaches we've had since Cockers was sacked and I'm fairly sure you'd happily snap someone's hand off to see any of them in charge at WR. I certainly would.

However, looks like we're sticking with mediocrity for the time being and hoping for soemthing miraculous to happen.......which it won't.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
BG01

Post by BG01 »

POSTIGER wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am
Tiger93 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:12 am Doesn't look like it, haven't done the usual clock image or popcorn with some token '...'

Agreed. Particularly as we enter the back end of June. It's a bit concerning.
I don't think we are 9 players short, more like 6. We'll have players coming up from the dev team and we'll probably have a bigger dev team than last year.

So I'd expect Thomas, Coghlan, Liebenberg, Viljoen, +1 backrow or second row, +1 wildcard.
Never believe generalisations
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

POSTIGER wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:52 am
CitizenSmiff wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:02 pm

I'd love to know what you're basing this on. Ackermann and Gustard both have better rugby CVs than Baxter and McCall when they first arrived in the Prem and have made more progress in less time.
I’m basing it on what Ackerman did with the Lions. Yes, he got them to finals but couldn’t win it. Gustard has improved Quins, but I don’t think he’ll get them into a position where they win anything. Progress is one thing, but actually winning something is different.
I'm sure we can all agree that Ackermann, Gustard and Boyd are all miles better than any of the coaches we've had since Cockers was sacked and I'm fairly sure you'd happily snap someone's hand off to see any of them in charge at WR. I certainly would.

However, looks like we're sticking with mediocrity for the time being and hoping for soemthing miraculous to happen.......which it won't.
I completely agree. What is the point of bringing in good players when the coaches are damn well inept? It makes me so angry!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:37 pm
POSTIGER wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:52 am

I completely agree. What is the point of bringing in good players when the coaches are damn well inept? It makes me so angry!
Because the good players we are bringing in have bought into Murphy’s vision? Even if (some) fans haven’t.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Many people criticised recruitment in recent years, the implication being that the players were not good enough. Thney then expected the coaches to win something with those players. There are now changes being made to the squad but some fans (many of whom complained that we sacked coaches) do not want the existing coahing team to have a pre season with the new players, presumably brought in to fit a plan, they want a new coach, any new coach, get rid of the existing no matter how short a time he has had, bring ina new guy to work with players not of his choosing and then no doubt sack him because we failed to win a trophy just like Harlequins, Gloucester, Sale and Wasps. Last season is behind us, we are well behind Sarries and Chiefs but lets see what happens next before we make more radical changes to the coaching team.