Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Challenge Cup 19/20

Post by CitizenSmiff »

LE18 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:34 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:38 pm Some good games to be had there! I'm hoping we get Enisei so I can go on an away day to the Russian Steppes.
But how do you get there? if its where Saints played there last year, their supporters went on the team's charter plane! Bet Ryan air/Easy jet don't go there, perhaps Wizz do?
Aeroflot will sort me out, from Heathrow for a mere £700 and 15 hours of my life, bargain.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:54 pm
LE18 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:34 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:38 pm Some good games to be had there! I'm hoping we get Enisei so I can go on an away day to the Russian Steppes.
But how do you get there? if its where Saints played there last year, their supporters went on the team's charter plane! Bet Ryan air/Easy jet don't go there, perhaps Wizz do?
Aeroflot will sort me out, from Heathrow for a mere £700 and 15 hours of my life, bargain.
Make sure you take a few aircraft spare parts with you, you would never get me on Aeroflot! :smt046
tigerssteve

Re: Challeng Cup 19/20

Post by tigerssteve »

PGD wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:42 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:04 pm God I shed a tear when I look at those group of teams!
As in "how are the mighty fallen?", or the perceived 'lower class' of some compared to Tigers' former standing (I've not phrased that well). Well, it'll make a change from seemingly playing Ulster, Munster, Leinster, Racing & Ospreys every season - & losing.

Mind you, there are some there who'll give us a run for our money & if we approach the competition with an arrogant air that it's below us, I suggest well be heading for an almighty fall ourselves.
We should be grateful for any form of European competition. "Qualifying" by avoiding relegation by one place is farcical really. Accrington Stanley will be in the champions league next year!
Happydays

Post by Happydays »

Another option.....Enisei is on the Trans Siberia railway
Yenisey
YENISEY
The train #055/056 ‘Yenisey’ operates on Moscow – Krasnoyarsk route every other day. In a little more than 60 hours the train covers 4065 km and crosses 4 time zones. The train has 1st, 2nd and 3rd class compartments. There is a nice restaurant car with Siberian cuisine.....and also a shower that can be used by all passengers (at extra fee).
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Challeng Cup 19/20

Post by TigerS2 »

PGD wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:42 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:04 pm God I shed a tear when I look at those group of teams!
As in "how are the mighty fallen?", or the perceived 'lower class' of some compared to Tigers' former standing (I've not phrased that well). Well, it'll make a change from seemingly playing Ulster, Munster, Leinster, Racing & Ospreys every season - & losing.

Mind you, there are some there who'll give us a run for our money & if we approach the competition with an arrogant air that it's below us, I suggest well be heading for an almighty fall ourselves.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

It may be a second tier competition but there are quality teams in it which will make it a very competitive tournament. Teams will have to be on their mettle to do well and win this competition.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

French teams (and to an extent English teams, and I Hope, Edinburgh) usually put out substantially weakened teams in the Challenge Cup. So pool results can be unpredictable.

Leicester will be the fourth ranked team amongst the English sides as Sale are in the Champions Cup given their european placing this year. Other fourth ranked teams are Bordeaux and the Dragons.

One fourth ranked team will be a second seed, the other two will be third seeds. This will be drawn on the day of the full draw for the competition. Five teams in each group of seeds.

Definite first seeds are Castres, Wasps and Cardiff.
Either first or second seeds are Stade Francais, Bristol and Scarlets
Definite second seeds are Toulon, Edinburgh and Worcester
Either second or third seeds are Leicester, Bordeaux or Dragons
Definite third seeds are London Irish, Zebre and Pau
Definite fourth seeds are Agen, Bayonne, Enisey-STM (Russia) and Calvisano

You can't draw a team from the same country until the fourth seeds (so Leicester can't draw another English team except possibly London Irish). Teams from different countries in the Pro14 can be drawn together. I'm assuming Calvisano can't be drawn with Zebre, but I'm not 100% certain given they came through the qualifying tourney.

So you could have a group of Castres, Scarlets, Leicester and Agen
Or you could have Cardiff, Leicester, Zebre and Enisey-STM

If you really fancy a trip to play the Russians, bear in mind they're in Krasnoyarsk. That's further east than Bangladesh. In Siberia. Actually given that the games are Nov, Dec, Jan, they probably won't play at home at all (The average daily high is -12C in January, record low -52C) but most likely in Moscow or Sochi.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Just to update,

Tier 1 Wasps, Cardiff, Castres, two from Stade Francais, Bristol, Scarlets
Tier 2 Edinburgh, Worcester, Toulon, one from Stade, Bristol, Scarlets, one from Bordeaux, Leicester, Dragons
Tier 3 London Irish, Zebre, Pau, two from Bordeaux, Leicester, Dragons
Tier 4 Agen,Bayonne, Brive, Enisey-STM, Calvisano

Two teams from the same league can’t be drawn together from Tiers 1,2 and 3.
Basically every pool will have either two French teams or one of the minor clubs.

Draw Wednesday 19th June
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

I fancy that also
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

It's my belief that this competition will most certainly be a real challenge. Many of these sides will be a damn hard nut to crack! We really have to be up for the games, or we shall get dumped out. That said, with many new arrivals and fit players we could go a long way. The main barriers will likely be Edinburgh, and some of the more experienced French sides. It looks as though we are in for a tough start, but if we can survive the first round, we will have a good chance of doing very well.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Let's hope we improve on last season's level of performance or it could end in Tragedy-ski :smt002

Taxi! :smt039
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

It would appear to some that for the Tigers the cup is already half empty and are looking for teams of a lesser ability to be in the Tigers CC pool? I for one are looking forward to going to other places for the away legs and seeing the Tigers WIN! Yes, my Tigers cup is full, simply because the games have yet to be played.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I'm particularly looking forward to the away fixture here in France, and most of the sides are within a reasonable driving distance from home (with the exception of Toulon and Stade Français), and I hope that it won't be a Friday night kick-off!

It'll be a new season with new players and a likely changes in the coaching structure so what is there not to be optimistic about?
After the disappointments of this last season, the only way is up!
Semper in excretia
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:34 pm It's my belief that this competition will most certainly be a real challenge. Many of these sides will be a damn hard nut to crack! We really have to be up for the games, or we shall get dumped out. That said, with many new arrivals and fit players we could go a long way. The main barriers will likely be Edinburgh, and some of the more experienced French sides. It looks as though we are in for a tough start, but if we can survive the first round, we will have a good chance of doing very well.
It very much depends. Some of the French teams - particularly those whose primary concern is staying in the Top14 - will play second or third string sides, and teams who have lost their first two games are likely to do the same. I have a feeling Edinburgh will play weakened sides as well as getting into the top half of the Pro14 (and getting into the Heineken Cup) is more important for us next year.

However, good trips, and a lot of fun to be had in the competition either way!

And obviously, winning it gets you into the Heineken the year after.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

biffer wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:04 pm And obviously, winning it gets you into the Heineken the year after.
But Tigers won't need that. We'll qualify automatically via the league. Maybe even as champions :smt002 :smt003