Guinness threat to London Irish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Guinness threat to London Irish

Post by fleabane »

Concern over signing Paddy Jackson. Cash Converters have already withdrawn sponsorship, maybe Guinness next?

https://extra.ie/2019/06/10/blind/now-g ... irish-move
Valhalla I am coming!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Guinness threat to London Irish

Post by jgriffin »

fleabane wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:10 pm Concern over signing Paddy Jackson. Cash Converters have already withdrawn sponsorship, maybe Guinness next?

https://extra.ie/2019/06/10/blind/now-g ... irish-move
It has been far more of an issue in Ireland than some comments on here in the past have suggested.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The only surprise is how long this reaction has taken, believe more to come.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Baz

Post by Baz »

So, being cleared in court means nothing? Trial by media is all?
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Baz wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:11 am So, being cleared in court means nothing? Trial by media is all?
He was indeed found not guilty of the charges, however a sponsor may decide that his behaviour and values as indicated by the social media messages disclosed is not compatible with their standards and then choose to withdraw sponsorship. That is their right.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Baz

Post by Baz »

"...............choose to withdraw sponsorship. That is their right."

Of course it is their right, but this is symptomatic of modern society; all that is needed nowadays to ruin someone's reputation is a media indictment. Being tested in a court of law no longer means anything. You have said it yourself "as indicated by the social media messages"! Sponsors ought to show a little more respect for due process.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Oh not another thread like this.

Yes he was found not guilty, whilst some have commented the finding somewhat dubious, yes his name was cleared.

During the investigation the WhatsApp messages between the group of players were released. This is what I don’t get, the court has made its verdict, yet everyone is entitled to look at the evidence and come up with their own opinion as we don’t live in a draconian society.

Therefore, myself just like the sponsors, can look at the evidence and say that player doesn’t match the clubs or the sponsors morale standards. I don’t understand why people think that as the court as ruled on the case, that’s it dead and buried and no one else is allowed an opinion.

Thankfully sponsors are pulling out. I for one wouldn’t want him playing for our club. Sponsors ought to show more respect to due process is literal rubbish. Everyone is allowed to make their own judgement.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

^^yes.
Valhalla I am coming!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:24 am Oh not another thread like this.

Yes he was found not guilty, whilst some have commented the finding somewhat dubious, yes his name was cleared.

During the investigation the WhatsApp messages between the group of players were released. This is what I don’t get, the court has made its verdict, yet everyone is entitled to look at the evidence and come up with their own opinion as we don’t live in a draconian society.

Therefore, myself just like the sponsors, can look at the evidence and say that player doesn’t match the clubs or the sponsors morale standards. I don’t understand why people think that as the court as ruled on the case, that’s it dead and buried and no one else is allowed an opinion.

Thankfully sponsors are pulling out. I for one wouldn’t want him playing for our club. Sponsors ought to show more respect to due process is literal rubbish. Everyone is allowed to make their own judgement.
+1. Sponsors have to sell things to everybody not just pockets of laddish rugby fans in Reading.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

London Irish have made one hell of a mistake, bringing in Jackson,,imo.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

surprised more not being said about Sean O'brien off-field activities.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:30 pm surprised more not being said about Sean O'brien off-field activities.
Especially given the guy was unconscious.....

Seems a great party, plus Stan Wright knocking out one of their academy players too! :smt009
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Baz wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:02 am "...............choose to withdraw sponsorship. That is their right."

Of course it is their right, but this is symptomatic of modern society; all that is needed nowadays to ruin someone's reputation is a media indictment. Being tested in a court of law no longer means anything. You have said it yourself "as indicated by the social media messages"! Sponsors ought to show a little more respect for due process.
Are you honestly suggesting that you have an issue with a sponsor pulling their support given what was said in those whatsapp groups?

Let's divorce this from the trial entirely. What was said in those groups is not going to sit well with many sponsors.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Baz wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:02 am "...............choose to withdraw sponsorship. That is their right."

While I agree with you that "all that is needed nowadays to ruin someone's reputation is a media indictment", this is NOT a media indictment. The social media (and text) messages were from the players themselves. Yes, they were cleared of the criminal charges of rape and sexual assault, but their attitudes and behaviour as shown in their messages is what the sponsors are looking at and finding not to their liking.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

As Good As It Gets