LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by Cardiff Tig »

ABClub wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:31 pm I thought all our scrum-halves looked largely poor last season. Given that Youngs is England's most capped 9, Harrison a very consistent Jeff performer and White an U20 captain I think that speaks volume of the ball they got to work with more than the 9s in the squad.

Strengthen the pack and I expect the performances of those scrum-halves will rapidly improve.
Exactly. The worst locks & backrow forwards in the history of Leicester (performance wise) has screwed over all the 9s. What's the point in taking a quick tap if the pack is just going to lose the ball by not being in support quick enough.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Personally feel sorry for Ben Youngs. Not his fault that he doesn’t appear to have shone last season but as he didn’t play much due to England call ups and injury I think Ben had little chance to showcase his considerable skills.
It is hard to criticise any of our scrum halves because Denton and Thomson rarely played so the best support forwards weren’t there to get quick ball or offer link play.
I felt Will Evans was massively underused and now has departed to Quins.
Our kick chase game became poorer because 1) May away with England and then injured 2) the much underrated Adam Thompeston out for much of the season, 3) Holmes then also out so much.
Sarries’ scrum halves kick very well but as their backs 1,2nd and 3rd choices,were usually fit so they trained hard on that aspect.
Great bloke is Youngs so I look forward to him playing with Ford again.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:43 pm Personally feel sorry for Ben Youngs. Not his fault that he doesn’t appear to have shone last season but as he didn’t play much due to England call ups and injury I think Ben had little chance to showcase his considerable skills.
It didn't help that our attacking game could be summarised on the back of a Marlborough packet and there was never anybody running lines to take a pass if he had one to give.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

There are loads of factors but I think that Youngs is a big part of the problem himself, my issue is that he supposed to be an experienced 85 cap England international and is a supposed senior player but doesn’t act like it all anymore, you don’t need quick ball to be a leader.

To be clear this is me not being a keyboard warrior or anything like that, I use to be a massive fan of Youngs until 2017 and I’m trying to not make the criticism too personal, I haven’t intentionally tried to cross the line.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Just to get this thread back on topic......

- this is nicked from the unoffy...www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby ... t-16406625

Apparently, Joe Thomas will be signing a 1 year contract. Cover for the internationals?
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Great back up signing and is certainly a better option than Owen - and I suspect a bit cheaper.
Hehehehehehehehe
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 am Great back up signing and is certainly a better option than Owen - and I suspect a bit cheaper.
I think the club and Smith were hoping he had one more year left in him. Now he’s retired I’m not surprised we are looking for another centre, especially with no real centres coming up from the academy.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Thought we were signing Viljoen from the Stormers according to SA press. Don’t think we’d sign both, surely?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:17 am Thought we were signing Viljoen from the Stormers according to SA press. Don’t think we’d sign both, surely?

Why not?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:24 am
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:17 am Thought we were signing Viljoen from the Stormers according to SA press. Don’t think we’d sign both, surely?

Why not?
Even signing both we’ll only have six senior centres. Reid will also probably cover 10 with Manu being away on international duty. If anything we need both of them.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:33 am

Why not?
Even signing both we’ll only have six senior centres. Reid will also probably cover 10 with Manu being away on international duty. If anything we need both of them.
Viljoen can also cover the back three positions as well so I'd agree that we could do with them both. The Welsh lad sounds like he'll a fairly cheap signing so if he doesn't make the cut there's no real loss and if he turns out to be a bit if a gem then we can look to secure him long term.
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:53 am There are loads of factors but I think that Youngs is a big part of the problem himself, my issue is that he supposed to be an experienced 85 cap England international and is a supposed senior player but doesn’t act like it all anymore, you don’t need quick ball to be a leader.

To be clear this is me not being a keyboard warrior or anything like that, I use to be a massive fan of Youngs until 2017 and I’m trying to not make the criticism too personal, I haven’t intentionally tried to cross the line.
I completely agree JP.

Just look at George Ford even when the team is playing poorly he steps up and plays like he would for England. Doesn't seem like Ben's got out of first gear for a few seasons.
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

SirGordonRamsey wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:38 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:53 am There are loads of factors but I think that Youngs is a big part of the problem himself, my issue is that he supposed to be an experienced 85 cap England international and is a supposed senior player but doesn’t act like it all anymore, you don’t need quick ball to be a leader.

I completely agree JP.

Just look at George Ford even when the team is playing poorly he steps up and plays like he would for England. Doesn't seem like Ben's got out of first gear for a few seasons.
Spot on!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:23 pm
SirGordonRamsey wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:38 pm

I completely agree JP.

Spot on!!!
If you were to chastise players for not fronting up like George Ford last season you'd be left with pretty thin squad.

We had short comings last season which we all know - especially the squad and coaches - which came around a game shape and ability to play the ball quickly and (critically) to effective options and whilst he wasn't at his best, it seems logical to suggest England's most capped 9 probably isn't my first pick of who i'd ship out.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:33 am

Why not?
I completely agree. He sounds good, and worth investing in, for a low salary. He could turn out to be a real gem. We do need a couple more decent centres.