Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by JP14 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:33 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 am Youngs is not a good captain whilst his brother has proved he doesn’t give a toss at Tigers anymore.
JP14 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:01 pmThat’s why I think he doesn’t give a toss anymore at Tigers
Ahhh, very different.

I'd agree to an extent about his performances, but disagree with your view about not a single good game played since 2017.... I thought he was back to old standard at home against Gloucester this season, not consistent enough for a player of his ability/capability, but definitely one of his better games - best reception from the Crumbie he's had when coming off for awhile too.

A single instance that came readily to mind, and just my view of course.
I was merely trying to back up my statement by saying that body language and consistently below standard performances proves he no longer cares.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:43 pm
Flash wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:57 pm I also believe that Ben Youngs has lost interest in playing for us. His whole game for us last season was sloppy and half hearted. That was there for all to see. If he can play well for England, then how come he is so awful when playing for us? There is only one conclusion to be made from that!
Yes, that our forwards/coaching/tactics haven't given him a good enough platform to perform as he does for England.
Hey Flash, your blinkers have fallen off :smt002 you said it so succinctly I deleted my planned response.

Dangerous, you remind me of Noddy :smt005
Pot kettle and black regarding the blinkers.
If I were preparing a team to face BY then the focus would be on the breakdown.
BY likes more guards than Her Majesty which requires good structure to work, runs your forwards more, and leaves you shorter in ball carrying support.
Any of these things sound familiar!
England ain't World Champions you know!
Leicester's structure has been pretty poor at times and that tends to happen when you keep sacking coaches, and IMO he loses interest when it's not served up on a silver platter!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Flash wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:57 pm I also believe that Ben Youngs has lost interest in playing for us. His whole game for us last season was sloppy and half hearted. That was there for all to see. If he can play well for England, then how come he is so awful when playing for us? There is only one conclusion to be made from that!
Yes, that our forwards/coaching/tactics haven't given him a good enough platform to perform as he does for England.
That is sometimes the case but not always, I’ve found that even on the front foot I have found Youngs too slow or too indecisive, maybe the coaching is a bit more thorough at England while England players tend to chase his box-kicks better too, but while his halfback partner and lifelong friend Ford is playing really good rugby whatever ball he gets, Youngs just isn’t.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'd swap Youngs for any of the GP SA 9s. In fact I'd piggyback him there myself!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Interesting that people don't seem keen to get the best out of England's most capped 9 - but rather simply replace him with an import in the hope it would fix everything.

Arguably some might say the unsuccessful mindset has lead to an overly negative view - it's quite obvious given how he plays for England he isn't a bad player, and given the known issue that our squad balance hasn't left enough grunt in the back 5 - that maybe he isn't the problem.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I thought all our scrum-halves looked largely poor last season. Given that Youngs is England's most capped 9, Harrison a very consistent Jeff performer and White an U20 captain I think that speaks volume of the ball they got to work with more than the 9s in the squad.

Strengthen the pack and I expect the performances of those scrum-halves will rapidly improve.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:31 pm I thought all our scrum-halves looked largely poor last season. Given that Youngs is England's most capped 9, Harrison a very consistent Jeff performer and White an U20 captain I think that speaks volume of the ball they got to work with more than the 9s in the squad.

Strengthen the pack and I expect the performances of those scrum-halves will rapidly improve.
That and a consistent game plan should work wonders. Every sniping break I remember from a scrum half ended up in a turnover due to lack of support.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Maybe Mele will help?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I expect Mele will help, if he is heard.

I don't think being England's most capped 9 is anything to crow about either given the recent World Cup's and occasional capitulation in big pressure matches.
It pretty much applies to all and not just the 9's in my opinion.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:23 pm Maybe Mele will help?
What with ??
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I do think we a -re being a little unkind about BY. Yes he didn't have a great season, Yes his service was slower than we would have liked, Yes he has not done as much sniping as he used to, but is he totally at fault?? No!! If the pack is not delivering good ball, if the guards are in place, if there is no-one to pass to - life does become difficult for any scrum half. As I said - he didn't have a good season byt I seriously do not believe he does not care about his performances or his club.
Hehehehehehehehe
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

BFG wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:50 pm Pot kettle and black regarding the blinkers.
BY likes more guards than Her Majesty which requires good structure to work, runs your forwards more, and leaves you shorter in ball carrying support.
Leicester's structure has been pretty poor at times and that tends to happen when you keep sacking coaches, and IMO he loses interest when it's not served up on a silver platter!
Absolutely wrong about pot/kettle/black & blinkers, if you bothered to read my earlier post you'd realise I'm aware he has underperformed (performed poorly) - against his own earlier standards. My comments with JP14 were about YBY 'not giving a toss' - which I don't agree with as 'proven'. I agree with JP14s thoughts regarding performance.

I'm not, nor have been for awhile, YBY's biggest fan for many of the reasons already stated, some also by yourself in your latest swipe. :smt005
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:06 am
MCC1964 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:37 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:22 pm
That’s fine if you think that and re your second point I was referring to his independent school upbringing.
Really? I mean REALLY? Get the :smt100 chip of your shoulder man and come up with a better argument that’s that. There’s some twaddle spouted, but that takes the biscuit. I’d like to hear you say that to him directly to his face. No? I didn’t think so.
I would but I doubt I’d ever meet him to be honest.
Do hope Tigers get to sign one or two of these privileged independent school boys in the coming seasons or two. I seem to remember Ben Kay, Lewis Moody, Johnny Wilkinson, Uno Monye, Anthony Watson, James Haskell, Will Greenwood, Peter Winterbottom, Lawrence Dallaglio, Tony and Rory Underwood,, Stuart Barnes, Nick Easter, David Flatman, Andrew Sheridan, Chris Robshaw, Tom Curry, Jamie George, Mako Vunipola, Billy Vunipola, Jonathan Joseph, Rob Andrew, Danny Cipriani, Eliot Daly, Matt Tait, James Simpson-Daniel, Will Carling, Phil Dowson, - that well known posh boy Carl Fearns .....making decent contributions to rugby. Amazing how Warren Gatland that well known kiwi toff, went out of his way to give preferential treatment to Itoje the toff. Seem to recall that well known posh boy Harry Ellis also went to a fee paying school. Looking forward to Marcus Smith getting his first full cap........That's enough toffs names. By the way - I went to a state school.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:43 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:50 pm Pot kettle and black regarding the blinkers.
Absolutely wrong about pot/kettle/black & blinkers, if you bothered to read my earlier post you'd realise I'm aware he has underperformed (performed poorly) - against his own earlier standards. My comments with JP14 were about YBY 'not giving a toss' - which I don't agree with as 'proven'. I agree with JP14s thoughts regarding performance.

I'm not, nor have been for awhile, YBY's biggest fan for many of the reasons already stated, some also by yourself in your latest swipe. :smt005
I only mentioned the blinkers about D4 reminding you of Noddy, I for one can understand D4.
Sorry it wasn't very clear.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Please can we discuss the topic....thanks

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk