Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:30 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:22 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:34 pm

Arguably I don't think it did.
What does privileged mean in this context?
That’s fine if you think that and re your second point I was referring to his independent school upbringing.

That is pretty pointless comment when it can be referred to most players.
I’ll use it for most players.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

With the acquisition of Green, Lavanini joining Spencer and Wells plus Jordan and Lewis I just don’t think we need Alun Wyn Jones better than Bristol, they want a statement signing, they’ll get it. He is a great leader but I think even he will struggle in a team barren of leaders (only Ford/Thompson) as Youngs is not a good captain whilst his brother has proved he doesn’t give a toss at Tigers anymore.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:37 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:22 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:34 pm

Arguably I don't think it did.
What does privileged mean in this context?
That’s fine if you think that and re your second point I was referring to his independent school upbringing.
Really? I mean REALLY? Get the :smt100 chip of your shoulder man and come up with a better argument that’s that. There’s some twaddle spouted, but that takes the biscuit. I’d like to hear you say that to him directly to his face. No? I didn’t think so.
I would but I doubt I’d ever meet him to be honest.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 am...whilst his brother has proved he doesn’t give a toss at Tigers anymore.
Just hilarious and so ignorant to even comment!

As for the 'privileged' and 'connected', tell me one profession (including all political parties) that doesn't have people elevated through some sort of funding or connections? Nor does it negate those with real talent and true motivation to ultimately succeed, the next Lions tour manager was a carpenter when playing for Barking before Sarries and Quins developed him. 114 England caps and 5 Lions caps later i'd say he's not been held back too much!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 am Youngs is not a good captain whilst his brother has proved he doesn’t give a toss at Tigers anymore.
Erm.

How has he 'proven' he doesn't give a toss? that sounds pretty conclusive - as if he's stated it somewhere.

I'd agree, as would many here, that YBY hasn't performed as well lately as we know he can, or has for us before, nor has he reached the levels that he does for England, he's been better in a white shirt than a Tigers' one to be fair.

But to say he has proven he doesn't give a toss about Tigers, that's simply more than a matter of opinion...there's proof somewhere, you've seen it. Insider info?

Oh well, at least you'll have more chance of seeing YBY at WR and have an ideal opportunity to put that assertion to him as bluntly as it's typed on here :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:38 am
strawclearer wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:10 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:23 pm

I have it as rumoured out.
I hope he takes as long as he needs to get right but, even quite recently, it wasn't encouraging.
Fortunately from an article I read some time ago Tigers are giving him all the support and time he needs. He was particularly complimentary about the support he was / is getting. Apparently they are prepared for him to only play a handful of games next season if it means he gets better. With all the turmoil of the past season it makes me proud to support a club that treats its players this way. I really hope he recovers and plays again as I'm sure we all do.
Good post and spot on. :smt023
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I also believe that Ben Youngs has lost interest in playing for us. His whole game for us last season was sloppy and half hearted. That was there for all to see. If he can play well for England, then how come he is so awful when playing for us? There is only one conclusion to be made from that!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:32 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 am Youngs is not a good captain whilst his brother has proved he doesn’t give a toss at Tigers anymore.
Erm.

How has he 'proven' he doesn't give a toss? that sounds pretty conclusive - as if he's stated it somewhere.

I'd agree, as would many here, that YBY hasn't performed as well lately as we know he can, or has for us before, nor has he reached the levels that he does for England, he's been better in a white shirt than a Tigers' one to be fair.

But to say he has proven he doesn't give a toss about Tigers, that's simply more than a matter of opinion...there's proof somewhere, you've seen it. Insider info?

Oh well, at least you'll have more chance of seeing YBY at WR and have an ideal opportunity to put that assertion to him as bluntly as it's typed on here :smt023
When you’ve not played a single good game in a Tigers shirt since in my view Newcastle home 2017 and his body language on the field to me seems poor too, constantly waving his arms at the referee to no avail, he doesn’t risk the dummy (something which he used to be really good at) and barely taps and goes anymore when Tigers need urgency or momentum, one tap and go (home versus Saracens in 2017/18) he failed to even tap and go properly and therefore wasted an opportunity and a penalty from our dominant scrum. That’s why I think he doesn’t give a toss anymore at Tigers and his head is only on England and will be selected no matter what because of Jones’ major trust issues of the likes of Robson and Spencer, granted Robson is currently suffering with a medical issue (blood clots?).
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Again I’d happily say to his face, might get his act together or he might tell me to jog on but I don’t care.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:01 pmThat’s why I think he doesn’t give a toss anymore at Tigers
Ahhh, very different.

I'd agree to an extent about his performances, but disagree with your view about not a single good game played since 2017.... I thought he was back to old standard at home against Gloucester this season, not consistent enough for a player of his ability/capability, but definitely one of his better games - best reception from the Crumbie he's had when coming off for awhile too.

A single instance that came readily to mind, and just my view of course.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:57 pm I also believe that Ben Youngs has lost interest in playing for us. His whole game for us last season was sloppy and half hearted. That was there for all to see. If he can play well for England, then how come he is so awful when playing for us? There is only one conclusion to be made from that!
Yes, that our forwards/coaching/tactics haven't given him a good enough platform to perform as he does for England.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Flash wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:57 pm I also believe that Ben Youngs has lost interest in playing for us. His whole game for us last season was sloppy and half hearted. That was there for all to see. If he can play well for England, then how come he is so awful when playing for us? There is only one conclusion to be made from that!
Yes, that our forwards/coaching/tactics haven't given him a good enough platform to perform as he does for England.
Hey Flash, your blinkers have fallen off :smt002 you said it so succinctly I deleted my planned response.

Dangerous, you remind me of Noddy :smt005
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

We are signing Joe Thomas? Not someone I had heard of previously linked to us? A young decent centre.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... t-16406625
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

That would mean next seasons centre stocks would look something like:
12: Reid, Eastmond, Taute
13. Tuilagi, Viljoen, Thomas
with the likes of SAR, Olowofela, Worth and possibly Du Randt providing additional cover
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A one to watch according to the source, I suppose we’ll have to wait and see.