2019 World U20s

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: 2019 World U20s

Post by JP14 »

The flip was very stupid but on first viewing it didn’t look premeditated.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:07 pm U20s old boys sons and independent school side?
There were a few recognisable names.
The England U20 skipper is a former Scotland U16/18 player.
It doesn't leave much room for the rest of the country!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

De Glanville is awful quite frankly, was his dad even that good in the first place?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Honestly this England U20's team is pretty bad, but then again I guess that's what happens when you sack your 2 most successful U20's coaches and mostly pick a team based on their last names
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

• Rus Tuima - Younger sibling of England’s women international Lagi (who is pretty darn good to be fair)
  • Tom de Glanville - Son of Phil de Glanville, who was Sir Clive’s first captain of England
  • Ollie Sleightholme - Son of former Saints winger
  • Cameron Redpath - Former U18 Scottish international, son of Bryan Redpath
  • Phil Cokanasiga - Brother of Big Joe, cousin of Tuima, also related to Akapusi
  • Manu Vunipola - Cousin of Billy and Mako

Anymore?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:31 pm
  • Rus Tuima - Younger sibling of England’s women international Lagi (who is pretty darn good to be fair)
  • Tom de Glanville - Son of Phil de Glanville, who was Sir Clive’s first captain of England
  • Ollie Sleightholme - Son of former Saints winger
  • Cameron Redpath - Former U18 Scottish international, son of Bryan Redpath
  • Phil Cokanasiga - Brother of Big Joe, cousin of Tuima, also related to Akapusi
  • Manu Vunipola - Cousin of Billy and Mako

Anymore?
Luke James, Tom Willis and Sam Maunder all have older brothers that have represented England (actually not sure on Jack Willis he might have missed out due to injury has certainly been in an England touring squad).

Really Luke's brother Sam should have a lot more than his solitary cap. Criminally underrated player by the England management.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Jack Willis was never capped, Sam James is a good player, I recalled him playing well in a Baabaas game, but would you have him ahead of Slade, Tuilagi, Marchant? Unfortunately Sam it is a difficult ball game.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:30 am Jack Willis was never capped, Sam James is a good player, I recalled him playing well in a Baabaas game, but would you have him ahead of Slade, Tuilagi, Marchant? Unfortunately Sam it is a difficult ball game.
Jack Willis was in the tour squad to SA but didn't play. Presumably got injured again, poor bloke has no luck.

Sam James I would like to see in the England squad. Can play 12/13 (has also played 10 and 15 for Sale) is far happier playing the bosh role than Slade and has a very good offloading game. He's also more than capable of standing in as the playmaker. Far more options with him than with Marchant and Te'o when you've got limited squad numbers at the RWC.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought the England U20's were really lucky to get a result against Italy who themselves wasted a bucket load of chances.
I wouldn't pay in chocolate coins to watch these names and the way it is going the game will be totally full of them.
With all of the successful development coaches now having lost their jobs I expect it'll be harder and harder to fight against the favouritism/nepotism and just plain barking selections.
I foresee England being in a bit of a poor playing state in a few years.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG it could happen, but World U20 success doesn’t equal national senior success necessarily, the U20s might continue to select posh boys and player’s sons and do really badly but as long as the likes of Tigers Academy are bringing in players and they’re selected at national level England could still do alright in the future.

I really doubt England will reach the semifinals this year therefore hopefully à bientôt Mr Eddie Jones.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:55 am I thought the England U20's were really lucky to get a result against Italy who themselves wasted a bucket load of chances.
I wouldn't pay in chocolate coins to watch these names and the way it is going the game will be totally full of them.
With all of the successful development coaches now having lost their jobs I expect it'll be harder and harder to fight against the favouritism/nepotism and just plain barking selections.
It's been building for some time. I agree with JP14 that it is the talent discovered by the clubs that may keep the flag flying. However had a conversation about that this weekend, based on the question why England are carp when there is such a big player base. The answer, we decided, is that the real base is small, due to the biases we have enumerated ad nauseam over the years.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:19 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:55 am I thought the England U20's were really lucky to get a result against Italy who themselves wasted a bucket load of chances.
It's been building for some time. I agree with JP14 that it is the talent discovered by the clubs that may keep the flag flying. However had a conversation about that this weekend, based on the question why England are carp when there is such a big player base. The answer, we decided, is that the real base is small, due to the biases we have enumerated ad nauseam over the years.
I agree.
I wrote a whole reply but decided it wasn't worth leaving out for someone to start an argument, which is often the case and I couldn't be bothered with.
There are all sorts of different reasons for bias from independent and state schooled connections, the end result is that it does badly water down the playing pool.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

There's been a real drop off this season in the quality coming from the England under 20s team. Looking at the squad they've sent over to the JWC there's a drop off from prior years when there were a number of players with AP experience and who were pushing on into the AP wider squads.

Not sure the coaching revamp is an instant hit.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:37 am
There's been a real drop off this season in the quality coming from the England under 20s team. Looking at the squad they've sent over to the JWC there's a drop off from prior years when there were a number of players with AP experience and who were pushing on into the AP wider squads.

Not sure the coaching revamp is an instant hit.
They let go some proven coaches that were trying to do a good job in what has never been a good situation with all of the selection dilemmas and basically trying to see through a lot of the rubbish that comes with the process with so many put forward annually who simply shouldn't be and vice versa.
It has left things wide open to a bad situation taking control which sort of rings a few bells around these parts.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

This is what happens when you reportedly cut costs and replace good coaches! Read Ryan's piece too,sounds a bit salty but it must be true because otherwise it's a legal teams dream and I haven't heard it being challenged. Anyone else?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer