New coaching structure?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Alandrin75
Tiger Cub

Re: New coaching structure?

Post by Alandrin75 »

Tigers dont use the DOR role we have a head of rugby operations.

Geordan is the Head Coach and according to SC will be next season. Ged Glynn was the head of rugby operations but has moved back to what he did best which is overseas scouting. He has been replaced by a bloke whose name escapes me.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:51 pm Ideal structure for me and let’s keep the coaching team small:

DOR- Murphy
Head Coach - Borthwick
Attack and Defence Coach - Ford
Scrum - Stankovich
Ford should have attack or defence, not both.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:10 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:03 pm This coaching structure would be a serious statement of intent by the club. Backs Coach left intentionally blank because we dont' appear to have that role in our current structure, aside from wrapping it up as part of Geordan's position.

DoR: Mike Ford
Head Coach: Geordan Murphy
Forwards Coach: Steve Borthwick
Scrum Coach: Boris Stankovich
Defence Coach: Shaun Edwards
Backs Coach: [_____________]
I'm 99.9999999% sure Shaun Edwards is not coming to Tigers
I think you are far too optimistic about the possibility of Mr Edwards heading our way. I'd add another couple of 9s to be on the safe side.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’d love to have Borthwick but from the word go, not from the end of England’s WC campaign, he has no preseason and we’ll back to square one, this is why Rowntree preferably would have been a better option logistically.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I sometimes find myself driving home from work feeling good about life, and then I'll remember that my mother in law is coming to stay for a couple of days and everything suddenly seems very dark and gloomy. It's a bit like that with Tigers at present. I'll watch the rugby tomorrow and Taufua will put in an impressive shift, and Lavannini might be on, and I'll feel optimistic about next season. And then I think about the coaching set up, and its like having my mother in law coming to stay for the whole season. You just know its going too go from bad too worse. Depressing.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:15 pm I’d love to have Borthwick but from the word go, not from the end of England’s WC campaign, he has no preseason and we’ll back to square one, this is why Rowntree preferably would have been a better option logistically.
Rowntree is going to the RWC.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Whoops forgot about that 😬, Georgia right? But this is my point which no one has addressed, what’s the point in getting Borthwick if there is no preseason with him because of the World Cup?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:51 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:51 pm Ideal structure for me and let’s keep the coaching team small:

DOR- Murphy
Head Coach - Borthwick
Attack and Defence Coach - Ford
Scrum - Stankovich
That's similar to what I thought it would look like when I heard Borthwick linked. Murphy clearly has a vision of how the team should look and be playing. Getting some experienced coaches on board to make that happen is key. A smaller coaching team might be beneficial in the short term as it's a big rebuild job and we need to focus on some key areas so that we can hit the ground running next season.

We'll be missing a few with the RWC as well so structure will be key.
I agree, I think that should bet the set up. If people are saying Tigers don’t have a DOR position, I imagine we’ll name it something similar to Leinster. Murphy remains head coach and Borthwick comes in as senior coach.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:41 pm Whoops forgot about that 😬, Georgia right? But this is my point which no one has addressed, what’s the point in getting Borthwick if there is no preseason with him because of the World Cup?
Ackerman Skype'd into the Gloucester preseason training before he joined and took sessions from SA. Flying in on rest weeks. I imagine Borthwick will do similar.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Toby Booth being linked to us in the Rugby Paper.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

We have at least one coach signed sealed but not yet confirmed - the club are moving in the right direction in my opinion. No, weill not name him as I gave him my word I would not do so when I spoke to him.
Hehehehehehehehe
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:41 am Toby Booth being linked to us in the Rugby Paper.
Are we just going through ex-bath forwards coaches?
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:05 am
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:41 am Toby Booth being linked to us in the Rugby Paper.
Are we just going through ex-bath forwards coaches?
Well, a lot of people don’t want ex-Tigers so we may as well try Bath.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

2-3 coaching gaps in my opinion, attack, defence and forwards, could be that the head coach takes one of those functions also.
Mike Ford will get one of the first two roles. Borthwick and Booth appear in the running for forwards coach. I wouldn’t mind either, both have good reputations.
Exeter and Sarries are the current benchmark in the Prem, and have settled yet talented coaching setups. I’m dubious if the current one is up to standard. So get this fixed first, then look for stability from that.

Maybe with Booth we can start being the finishing school for L.Irish academy....
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

FrontRowUnionMember, maybe just the two roles need fulfilling as it could give Blake a better structure to organise if the forwards were coached a lot better. So i'd just replace Bakewell with either Borthwick or Booth, but i'd prefer Borthwick as it wasn't that long ago he was leading by example on the pitch, as a solid leader/organiser, and now progressed even more as a proven top level coach.