Sir Barnes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by Tigerbeat »

Home fans which are generally in the majority can try to influence decisions by there noises and I believe Barnes was referrring to that he would not be influenced into making decisions in favour of home team in those circumstances.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Naiyaravoro’s knock on springs to mind.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:10 pm Home fans which are generally in the majority can try to influence decisions by there noises and I believe Barnes was referrring to that he would not be influenced into making decisions in favour of home team in those circumstances.
Actually I think home fans tend to react spontaneously to infringements by the away team. I don’t think this is an intentional attempt to do anything, though as you say it may have an influence.

But the point I was making was that if I recall correctly Barnes said he wanted “to give the away side a fair crack”. What he should have said, was he wanted to give both sides a fair crack.

It’s subtle but I don’t think you need a degree in psychology to appreciate why it might be relevant.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Iirc didn't he make some poor decisions in the Saints game? I'm sure there was an infringement leading up to there first try that wasn't checked.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:47 pm Iirc didn't he make some poor decisions in the Saints game? I'm sure there was an infringement leading up to there first try that wasn't checked.
I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure that was a 'huge' knock on from Naiyaravoro receiving a kick on or around their 22m, on the Crumbie side at Welford rd end, which Barnes from some distance away signalled as 'backwards' - the only thing backward was his reading of that particular play....it was a clear knock on, no review and Saints scored from the possession some phases later.

Could be wrong.

But then, they tend to balance out over a season (not the last one perhaps) and Barnes has given us benefit of the doubt more than once I'd say.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.