Sir Barnes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by JP14 »

Apologies Dingdong my life isn’t dedicated to this forum!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:36 pm Apologies Dingdong my life isn’t dedicated to this forum!
With your dedication of 3073 posts in two years (4 a day) maybe I expected some sort of informed response, my bad! :smt002
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

DingDong wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:56 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:36 pm Apologies Dingdong my life isn’t dedicated to this forum!
With your dedication of 3073 posts in two years (4 a day) maybe I expected some sort of informed response, my bad! :smt002
And you got it.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

JP14, what would you suggest to make it a smoother process. When you have 16 Substitutes, 2-4 doctors, 4 water carriers, plus 4 coaches in the Technical Area..it does take some managing.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

wellstiger wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:21 am I don't put refs/Sirs down.
They have a difficult job - we don't know what directives they have to work under and how that's interporated.
Like most things in life standards have been watered down.

Barnes is the best of a bad bunch. Owens was the best of a bad bunch. But we don't have a game without one.
New directives will be issued for next season - Tigers will learn very quickly by losing players yet again for three match ban.
:smt013 We are the example.
I too think Wayne Barnes is the best around but something has perplexed me since I saw him on Rugby Tonight a few weeks ago in the week before he was officiating in a match at WR. He was asked about the crowd at WR and his approach to the match given we have such a large and vocal support. I think he said that (not his exact words but my summary) he liked to give the opposition a fair crack at WR. To me that seemed odd because it is something that did not need saying. If anything he just needed to say he liked to give both teams a fair crack at WR. Did anyone else see the interview? I just think it was an odd thing to say and wonder if it plays into the thinking of any other refs when they come to WR.
As Good As It Gets
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scuttle wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:12 pm
I too think Wayne Barnes is the best around but something has perplexed me since I saw him on Rugby Tonight a few weeks ago in the week before he was officiating in a match at WR. He was asked about the crowd at WR and his approach to the match given we have such a large and vocal support. I think he said that (not his exact words but my summary) he liked to give the opposition a fair crack at WR. To me that seemed odd because it is something that did not need saying. If anything he just needed to say he liked to give both teams a fair crack at WR. Did anyone else see the interview? I just think it was an odd thing to say and wonder if it plays into the thinking of any other refs when they come to WR.
I didn't see that but it does sound odd.
I wonder what the psyche was last weekend, maybe these are two very physical teams so just let them batter each other!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:59 pm JP14, what would you suggest to make it a smoother process. When you have 16 Substitutes, 2-4 doctors, 4 water carriers, plus 4 coaches in the Technical Area..it does take some managing.
Regarding substitutions, it seemed to me that on the terrace they took forever but whether that was actually down to the headcoach’s indecision rather than the process is more likely on reflection, I think the new World Rugby trial regarding benches might make subs easier, as the coach spends less time pondering on a reshuffle of the backline for example.

Maybe there should be a direct comms link between the doctors, although this might be easier said then done, and the 4th Official. This means if there’s a head injury, both the 4th official and the head coach know instantly and the substitute can come on more quickly. I agree it maybe impracticable in practice but in theory it seems ok.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:40 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:59 pm JP14, what would you suggest to make it a smoother process. When you have 16 Substitutes, 2-4 doctors, 4 water carriers, plus 4 coaches in the Technical Area..it does take some managing.
Regarding substitutions, it seemed to me that on the terrace they took forever but whether that was actually down to the headcoach’s indecision rather than the process is more likely on reflection, I think the new World Rugby trial regarding benches might make subs easier, as the coach spends less time pondering on a reshuffle of the backline for example.

Maybe there should be a direct comms link between the doctors, although this might be easier said then done, and the 4th Official. This means if there’s a head injury, both the 4th official and the head coach know instantly and the substitute can come on more quickly. I agree it maybe impracticable in practice but in theory it seems ok.
Doctors have Ipads which they can use to review impacts in cases of HIAs but if a player is being dealt with in the field, comms are made with the Tigers coaches to say that a substitution is needed and this is then passed on to the 4th official.....cant really see where improvements can be made in this area as replacements are generally done in a reasonable time.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It's potentially more complicated than that.

The players wear data loggers that get relayed back to the company that run them and then if a player has a certain level of impact it gets passed to the team Dr who in turn may need to do an HIA.

I think the data logging is independent of the team. So there are a few steps of communication - we may have to accept some of the delays for player safety. We can't blame the ref or 4th official for those.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Substitutions are done swiftly.

The game stops, the players goes off and the new one comes on.

The game continues.

It really is that simple.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

1989Tiger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:07 am Substitutions are done swiftly.

The game stops, the players goes off and the new one comes on.

The game continues.

It really is that simple.
Completely agree. Some people have too much time on their hands and create issues that don't exist.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

In my case certainly not! I accept that people don’t agree with me and that my cause bore no fruit, however I don’t accept people unnecessarily criticising or sneering my time on this forum as that’s none of their business.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Sometimes delays can be beneficial to a team, players get a rest, time to recover from a period of extreme pressure, take the impetus out of an attacking team. Allow the Captain to discuss the next move etc.and give the team time to settle down after a helter skelter brainless panic.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Scuttle wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:12 pm
wellstiger wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:21 am I don't put refs/Sirs down.
They have a difficult job - we don't know what directives they have to work under and how that's interporated.
Like most things in life standards have been watered down.

Barnes is the best of a bad bunch. Owens was the best of a bad bunch. But we don't have a game without one.
New directives will be issued for next season - Tigers will learn very quickly by losing players yet again for three match ban.
:smt013 We are the example.
I am glad you brought this up Scuttle. At the time I thought - did he really say that? - and it felt to me from his performance that weekend that it was prejudicial. He was refereeing to his declaration on BT Sport, rather than what was in front of him. I am not saying it was intentional bias, but my view at the time was that it was a very unprofessional comment to have made, then watching the match thinking ‘boy he really meant it’.

And I agree with you, he is one of the best around. I think refs need to get better media training if they are going to appear on TV.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

How can Barnes be accused of bias when he used the phrase “fair crack”? Or are you doing what we all accuse refs of doing ie interpreting your way?

Btw the dictionary meaning of ‘fair’ is “treating people equally without favouritism or discrimination“.