Sir Barnes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1968
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Sir Barnes

Post by Mark62 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:07 am

Fantastic game of rugby yesterday at Twickenham, between 2 great sides assisted by a great referee.

I know comments have been made about players flying into rucks with shoulders etc, but that for me is an issue with the whole sport, not just yesterday.

I just thought the way he handled the whole match, his decisiveness, his communication with the players, both during play and during breaks, was right out of the top drawer.
From memory there wasn’t one collapsed scrum, with him constantly praising the front rows before the next engagement, there was certainly no dissent, and the 2 yellow cards were dealt with, with the minimum of fuss, and yes for me it wasn’t a penalty try as Jack Nowell would probably got there to make a tackle.

I assume that is the last domestic game he will officiate in, as he hangs his whistle up after the World Cup.

If it is then thank you Sir Barnes, for the part you have played in hundreds of hours of enjoyable rugby and enjoy your retirement :smt041

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3499
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by strawclearer » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:13 am

:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Help save the Oceans - #RefuseTheStraw!

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6592
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by jgriffin » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:36 am

:smt026
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2831
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:48 am
Location: In the office pretending to work

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by POSTIGER » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:42 am

Big loss to the sport. Best ref we had by a country mile.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play

Tigerbeat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5070
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: The big wide world

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by Tigerbeat » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:58 am

Mark62 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:07 am

I assume that is the last domestic game he will officiate in, as he hangs his whistle up after the World Cup.

If it is then thank you Sir Barnes, for the part you have played in hundreds of hours of enjoyable rugby and enjoy your retirement :smt041
Talking to him a few weeks ago he was puzzled as he had said he was considering his position as a Referee but had not yet decided. Was likely that he would step down from internationals but was still to be decided on his future.
My suspicion is that we will see him in one more domestic season.
If not, wish him all the best and the time to enjoy with his wife and two kids. Been one of the best referees and is well respected in game. Guess he will team up with BT Sport.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk

PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:23 am
Location: Thame

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by PGD » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Tigerbeat wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:58 am

Guess he will team up with BT Sport.
It would be nice if, similar to Spreaders, he got involved with coaching. Not the laws, but how to manage the players & promote a flowing game.

After the number of TMO calls last game, I know one referee who'd benefit from an old hand's wisdom.

But one more season, sir, & come to Welford Rd a few times, please!

Soggypitch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1967
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:18 pm
Location: Market Harborough

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by Soggypitch » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:49 pm

Agree with all the comments, he is by far the best ref in the world from what I've seen.

Why would you want to retire when you're in your prime? Doesn't make sense to me.

Hope he stays on for a couple more years yet.
Soggypitch

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by BFG » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:05 pm

With respect I disagree, for me Barnes is just another ref that tries to coach players through a game of rugby instead of just sticking to refereeing it.
I've little doubt that this is all with "game flow" in mind on instruction from a higher authority but I do find it off putting.
Standards have dropped by this approach, players have lost instincts and it has helped turn rugby into an even messier game of bosh.
Rugby was always highly physical but it's just dangerous now.
The final yesterday was unbelievable to watch but my word how brutal and susceptible to cheap shots it has become, it's physically and mentally demanding on a potentially life changing level in it's repetitiveness at the breakdown and it's all down to relaxed refereeing for game flow!
I don't think Barnes is the great ref, there isn't one with this approach in my opinion, but he is one of the better talkers.
Often I get the impression that without these refs coaching the entire game some players wouldn't know what to do nowadays.

1989Tiger
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by 1989Tiger » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:28 pm

I sometimes wonder why some people bother watching rugby as whatever the subject in discussion is, they always have something negative to say about it.

Sticking to topic, Barnes is the bet ref we have in this country and one of, if not the best in the world.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by BFG » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:35 pm

1989Tiger wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:28 pm
I sometimes wonder why some people bother watching rugby as whatever the subject in discussion is, they always have something negative to say about it.
Not a lot of point in wondering if you believe it to be negative.
It is what it is!
Any ref who can allow the breakdown mess that took place yesterday by the laws of rugby is not a great ref!
Last edited by BFG on Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark62
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1968
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by Mark62 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:36 pm

BFG wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:05 pm
With respect I disagree, for me Barnes is just another ref that tries to coach players through a game of rugby instead of just sticking to refereeing it.
I've little doubt that this is all with "game flow" in mind on instruction from a higher authority but I do find it off putting.
Standards have dropped by this approach, players have lost instincts and it has helped turn rugby into an even messier game of bosh.
Rugby was always highly physical but it's just dangerous now.
The final yesterday was unbelievable to watch but my word how brutal and susceptible to cheap shots it has become, it's physically and mentally demanding on a potentially life changing level in it's repetitiveness at the breakdown and it's all down to relaxed refereeing for game flow!
I don't think Barnes is the great ref, there isn't one with this approach in my opinion, but he is one of the better talkers.
Often I get the impression that without these refs coaching the entire game some players wouldn't know what to do nowadays.
Complete twaddle, but it is your opinion, not coaching rather reffing pro actively rather than reactively, ask the players which they prefer.
I know you still go by the 1980s lawbook bfg but it doesn’t mean everyone else has to

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by BFG » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:39 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:36 pm
BFG wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:05 pm
With respect I disagree, for me Barnes is just another ref that tries to coach players through a game of rugby instead of just sticking to refereeing it.
I've little doubt that this is all with "game flow" in mind on instruction from a higher authority but I do find it off putting.
Standards have dropped by this approach, players have lost instincts and it has helped turn rugby into an even messier game of bosh.
Rugby was always highly physical but it's just dangerous now.
The final yesterday was unbelievable to watch but my word how brutal and susceptible to cheap shots it has become, it's physically and mentally demanding on a potentially life changing level in it's repetitiveness at the breakdown and it's all down to relaxed refereeing for game flow!
I don't think Barnes is the great ref, there isn't one with this approach in my opinion, but he is one of the better talkers.
Often I get the impression that without these refs coaching the entire game some players wouldn't know what to do nowadays.
Complete twaddle, but it is your opinion, not coaching rather reffing pro actively rather than reactively, ask the players which they prefer.
I know you still go by the 1980s lawbook bfg but it doesn’t mean everyone else has to
So, please explain to me how a referee can allow players to go off their feet so regularly at rucks yesterday, allow several high tackles, allowed the occasional forearm around the throat in attempts to hold up, and allowed an illegal neck roll on Barritt, and yet still be considered a great referee?

Mark62
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1968
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by Mark62 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:45 pm

I have already covered going off their feet, it is endemic in the game and won’t changed unless the law makers do so.
What high tackles and shots, examples please, because the 4 officials didn’t see any, and in fact the only serious injury in the game was a complete accident.

What would you rather watch a free flowing entertaining game, or one where the whistle is blown every 30 seconds.
I would rather watch the first I suspect you would rather the second

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by BFG » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:53 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:45 pm
I have already covered going off their feet, it is endemic in the game and won’t changed unless the law makers do so.
What high tackles and shots, examples please, because the 4 officials didn’t see any, and in fact the only serious injury in the game was a complete accident.

What would you rather watch a free flowing entertaining game, or one where the whistle is blown every 30 seconds.
I would rather watch the first I suspect you would rather the second
Anything endemic in the game is only so because it's allowed to be, that's all down to refereeing to stop it!
The Nowell incident was worthy of further sanction in my opinion, because the law says that tacklers are supposed to immediately release the tackled player, instead Nowell is literally bent on and over backwards by the tackler on the floor and is injured because of it, it's a penalty and for me it's a card offence!

Mark62
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1968
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by Mark62 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:59 pm

You watch your game BFG the rest of us will watch ours

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Leicestertinytiger and 2 guests