LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:51 pm I meant fast tracking him in the sense of making him our second choice 7 instead of buying one. He performed well but was always behind Thompson,BoC and the occasional 6 who was played there! Is he ready to be that player? Say for instance,God forbid, there's an early long term injury to Guy and he's our first choice 7,is it too soon?
Most teams only have around 6-7 backrowers in a squad. If the coaching team think Reffell is ready then it would be stupid to spend more money on an openside for the sake of it.

Maybe we’ll only be expecting 2 more signings in the pack, Coghlan and Liebenberg. Assuming we put more faith in the academy players.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:26 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:51 pm I meant fast tracking him in the sense of making him our second choice 7 instead of buying one. He performed well but was always behind Thompson,BoC and the occasional 6 who was played there! Is he ready to be that player? Say for instance,God forbid, there's an early long term injury to Guy and he's our first choice 7,is it too soon?
Most teams only have around 6-7 backrowers in a squad. If the coaching team think Reffell is ready then it would be stupid to spend more money on an openside for the sake of it.

Maybe we’ll only be expecting 2 more signings in the pack, Coghlan and Liebenberg. Assuming we put more faith in the academy players.
I think Coghlan has worn 7 for Nottingham at times and is similar in playing style to Thompson, the will compete for everything in attack and defence type. So he might cover as well.

I suspect a lot might depend on what happens with Denton if he cannot continue then we might sign another 7 and look for Coghlan and Thompson to cover 6 and 8 more often.

Currently;

6. Taufua, Denton, Coghlan
7. Thompson, Reffell
8. Liebenburg, Kalamafoni

Is a significant improvement in this season and then there's the three development backrow lads from the first academy winning season plus Lewis who can also play 6 ready to come in if needed.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I hope and pray Denton makes it,a BR of Taufua,Thompson,Denton looks superb!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:37 pm I hope and pray Denton makes it,a BR of Taufua,Thompson,Denton looks superb!
If Liebenburg signs I'd expect him to be at 8 for the big games. Being to rotate Taufua and Denton (with the non-starter on the bench) and Liebenburg and Kalamafoni will be a nice position to be in compared to recent seasons where key players were playing every week they were fit.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Genge
Youngs
Cole
Spencer
Lavinini
Taufua
Thompson
Denton
Youngs
Ford
May
Reid
Manu
Holmes
Veainu

Bateman,TPN,Leititaga,Green,Liebenberg,White,Taute,Thompstone

Some names obviously interchangeable but if you're struggling with that 23 the you've got a serious coaching problem!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Still dont get this fascination with Denton at 6 over 8!!!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It's crazy lol.Denton is a very good carrier and superb lineout option,he's very good off kick return and strong off the base. Your 6 should be in double figures comfortably for carries,tackles and rucks hit every game,that's not Denton. From speaking to Bath fans,Scotland fans and fans in general this is the only site that sees him as a blindside flanker,for me hes an 8 all day who can play 6. I just don't see what everyone on here is seeing but hey ho.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Just because you think it's crazy doesn't mean anyone else is wrong.

But whatever.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

As long as he’s fit I don’t care!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:53 pm It's crazy lol.Denton is a very good carrier and superb lineout option,he's very good off kick return and strong off the base. Your 6 should be in double figures comfortably for carries,tackles and rucks hit every game,that's not Denton. From speaking to Bath fans,Scotland fans and fans in general this is the only site that sees him as a blindside flanker,for me hes an 8 all day who can play 6. I just don't see what everyone on here is seeing but hey ho.
But then again you thing Kalamafoni should be a 6 even he’s played over 90% of his club and test rugby at 8.

Just because that’s what it says in a coaching manual that’s what a position does, doesn’t mean they have to do it.

For what it’s worth, if all rumoured signings are to be believed, I think our back row next season will be picked from Denton, Taufua, Thompson, Coughlan, Liebenberg and Kalamafoni, dependent on fitness and opposition.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Always said Denton and Kalamfoni compliment each other so well. Even though they normally wear 6&8 in most ways they are playing the traditional role of the other shirt number. Guess it doesn’t really matter what number is on their backs though.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'm very mixed when it comes to a back row. Theres the argument that a number on a shirt shouldn't matter but imo the best back row ever was Kaino,McCaw,Read which consists of a dyed in the wool 6,7,8. Look at the Oz BR, completely unbalanced because they've had to move Pocock to 8 just to get him and Hooper bothin the same team. I guess there's arguments for both sides plus opposition counts too.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Might have been mentioned before but does anyone know where Ken Pisi is off to? Reckon he would be a good asset to have here.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Have we 100% signed Coghlan? Because I can’t imagine us bringing in him as well as Wallace. Surely it would one or the other?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:52 pm Have we 100% signed Coghlan? Because I can’t imagine us bringing in him as well as Wallace. Surely it would one or the other?
Coghlan confirmed he'd signed with Tigers at the Nottingham end of season do.

I've said it before but I really like signing squad depth from the Championship. They take up little cap but if they come off as Jonah Holmes has here, Guy Thompson at Wasps, Harry Williams at Chiefs, etc then they can pay off many times over. Low risk recruitment with potentially high reward. It's a shrewd signing I think. Coghlan has pace to burn and good hands, could be a really good link man if he steps up.

Wallace is more likely to sign with Bristol (released Smith and Lam) or Gloucester (released Evans) from what I understand.