Boring Sarries, boring Exeter

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Boring Sarries, boring Exeter

Post by ourla »

When it was said to Alex Sanderson that Sarries spend a lot of time at St Albans practising the kick chase Sanderson said "yes, to be honest the players get bored with it" or something very similar. So there you go, Sarries are even boring themselves.

I jest.

And Boyd says of after being gubbed by Chiefs for a second week in a row that they should play “with a little more optimism”.

Well, any of those claiming Sarries and Chiefs are boing, can pop off to the shopping centre or do some gardening on Saturday afternoon. I shall be glued to the box. And if the game is anything like the Champions Cup Final I am in for a treat.

Boring my backside.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Boring Sarries, boring Exeter

Post by Scott1 »

I'll be glued to the rugby too,Lions v Stormers.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

UnlikeTigers, both these sides know when a passage of play has run its course, so they kick, but importantly to compete rather than give the ball back to their opponents. How many times did they get possession vs Glos from 50/50 challenges n the air, or the loose ball. The Tompkins final try was so good, Glos on the attack, lost the ball but the desire to get so many players into attack so quickly was incredible. I wish Tigers were that boring !
upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by upandunder »

So sad! And two contrasting headlines on BBC Sport are;
Ackerman signs new Gloucester deal.
Leicester Head Coach Murphy gets three game ban.
I know which one I prefer.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:52 am UnlikeTigers, both these sides know when a passage of play has run its course, so they kick, but importantly to compete rather than give the ball back to their opponents. How many times did they get possession vs Glos from 50/50 challenges n the air, or the loose ball. The Tompkins final try was so good, Glos on the attack, lost the ball but the desire to get so many players into attack so quickly was incredible. I wish Tigers were that boring !
I agree, and the saddest thing for me is that I've seen so many young lads with that kind of desire and potential ignored around the Tigers catchment area just a few recent years ago to make way for the connected or with feet so big they are tripping over themselves.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

ourla wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:27 am When it was said to Alex Sanderson that Sarries spend a lot of time at St Albans practising the kick chase Sanderson said "yes, to be honest the players get bored with it" or something very similar. So there you go, Sarries are even boring themselves.

I jest.

And Boyd says of after being gubbed by Chiefs for a second week in a row that they should play “with a little more optimism”.

Well, any of those claiming Sarries and Chiefs are boing, can pop off to the shopping centre or do some gardening on Saturday afternoon. I shall be glued to the box. And if the game is anything like the Champions Cup Final I am in for a treat.

Boring my backside.
People that say teams are boring annoy me. The fact that Saracens and Exeter are the two best teams in the country by a far way, should tell them something.

This is why I generally don’t like the idea of Southern Hemisphere coaches coming to the Premiership as, like Boyd has proven with his statement, they think the Northern Hemisphere game is boring, so try to change things. Mauger was a good example and now look where we are.

Rugby League was invented for people that make this sort of statements.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

upandunder wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:25 am So sad! And two contrasting headlines on BBC Sport are;
Ackerman signs new Gloucester deal.
Leicester Head Coach Murphy gets three game ban.
I know which one I prefer.
I prefer the Murphy story as I couldn’t care less about Gloucester to be honest.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Of course it's boring.
Boring losing to them, not the way thy play.

What has annoyed me about Tigers over recent seasons is the apathy and acceptance of being beaten both in the result and in individual plays like missed tackles.
Spencer (W) Genge and May are the notable exceptions who look like they mean it for every minute of the game.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’m sorry Ellis but we would have been in a better place if we had just kept Mauger, not might have been in the Top 4 or anything but we certainly wouldn’t have been in this position as he would have kept the likes of Thacker, Betham and Slater too.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

mol2 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:05 am Of course it's boring.
Boring losing to them, not the way thy play.

What has annoyed me about Tigers over recent seasons is the apathy and acceptance of being beaten both in the result and in individual plays like missed tackles.
Spencer (W) Genge and May are the notable exceptions who look like they mean it for every minute of the game.
Plus Guy Thompson, George Ford, Tom Youngs.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

JP14 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:51 am I’m sorry Ellis but we would have been in a better place if we had just kept Mauger, not might have been in the Top 4 or anything but we certainly wouldn’t have been in this position as he would have kept the likes of Thacker, Betham and Slater too.
But we would probably have played Slater in the back row!

I didn't agree with Mauger's appointment - his coaching record in New Zealand did not suggest he was a candidate to be head coach of the biggest club in Britain. It was just part of the ongoing chaotic mess our coaching appointments have been in recent years.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

mol2 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:34 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:51 am I’m sorry Ellis but we would have been in a better place if we had just kept Mauger, not might have been in the Top 4 or anything but we certainly wouldn’t have been in this position as he would have kept the likes of Thacker, Betham and Slater too.
But we would probably have played Slater in the back row!

I didn't agree with Mauger's appointment - his coaching record in New Zealand did not suggest he was a candidate to be head coach of the biggest club in Britain. It was just part of the ongoing chaotic mess our coaching appointments have been in recent years.
Correct me if Wrong but Mauger himself never selected Slater at 8, that was Cockerill.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I do find them boring if I'm honest, to the point where I won't bother watching the final. I'm not putting them down, they're both extremely competent rugby teams, but there isn't a particularly likeable player in the bunch since Waldrom left and I genuinely don't care who wins. As Scott mentioned there are Super 15 games on that will be much more entertaining.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The only thing I find boring is the fact that it’s these two teams in the final, highlights the collective atrocity of the teams below them, which BT Sport spurs up as making the league the best in the world, it’s absolute drivel.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

JP14 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:14 pm The only thing I find boring is the fact that it’s these two teams in the final, highlights the collective atrocity of the teams below them, which BT Sport spurs up as making the league the best in the world, it’s absolute drivel.
Did you find it boring between 99-02 when Tigers won the league 4 times in a row and find it boring when Tigers got to 9 finals in a row?
Last edited by 1989Tiger on Fri May 31, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.