LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by strawclearer »

Scott1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:10 pm What happened to popcorn Monday anyway? Any whispers?
The tweet from SammW reads:

"There’s a long time between now and kick off in the next season.

What’s the rush? Plenty of time to eat popcorn.

Enjoy some doughnuts and coffee this bank holiday."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I wonder if the awful season has made us re-think some of our signings and we’re still trying to get some over the line for next season, hence the delay in any announcements.

Also I noted that some NZ commentators were saying that Taufua made a pretty good openside. Maybe not in the mould of a ground hog traditionally, but Haskell style openside smashing players and rucks. Looks pretty mobile.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:06 pm I wonder if the awful season has made us re-think some of our signings and we’re still trying to get some over the line for next season, hence the delay in any announcements.

Also I noted that some NZ commentators were saying that Taufua made a pretty good openside. Maybe not in the mould of a ground hog traditionally, but Haskell style openside smashing players and rucks. Looks pretty mobile.
He can play across the back row he has started at 8 for the crusaders this season prefers 6 though I think
BG01

Post by BG01 »

Taufua is pretty similar to Guy Thompson.

They're both sub-190cm, sub-110kg players who play across the backrow. They both carry well but mostly through power and determination rather than size. They're both energetic players with high workrate. And they both like to stand on the wing and run with the ball a bit (both quite quick), and both have a good offload often to the winger after they're broken through out wide.

I think it would be pretty good to see them as our alternating 7s, which should allow us to have a style of play that incorporates it, rather than shoehorn them both in.
Never believe generalisations
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I can see us going for a backrow of 6. Taufua, 7. Thompson 8. Leibenberg/Denton with Taufua and Thompson playing on each 15m, very similar to how we played when Mauger was coach
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:54 pm I can see us going for a backrow of 6. Taufua, 7. Thompson 8. Leibenberg/Denton with Taufua and Thompson playing on each 15m, very similar to how we played when Mauger was coach
Ooh, reminds me of Steeeve!
Kent Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Kent Tiger »

Mark62 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:20 pm Purdy if he is available would be a great option as can cover wing and 13 too

Odogwu should be playing in the championship if not lower
Gloucester have released Purdy

https://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/2019/ ... ter-rugby/
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

So Craig Newby is back at Welford Road teaching kids in defence and breakdown classes. Any chance we could sign him up to coach the senior squad :smt003
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Sorry but Taufua is nothing like Guy Thompson! Not saying he can't play out wider but Guy is more Kieran Read,Jordan is a more souped up Kalamafoni. Playing him at openside would be ridiculous imo of course. We've been messing about trying to shoehorn players in at the expense of a balanced backrow for years,time to stop!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

If we want balance then we 100% need another openside. Hopefully Wallace is coming our way, he seems in great shape back from injury. Would imagine he’s the sort of character with something to prove too.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:15 pm If we want balance then we 100% need another openside. Hopefully Wallace is coming our way, he seems in great shape back from injury. Would imagine he’s the sort of character with something to prove too.
Yes we do. All the 8s can play 6 and vice versa and Thompson can play 8 very well too. But none of our first choice back rows are opensides bar Thompson unless we are fast tracking Reffell and Gough.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:21 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:15 pm If we want balance then we 100% need another openside. Hopefully Wallace is coming our way, he seems in great shape back from injury. Would imagine he’s the sort of character with something to prove too.
Yes we do. All the 8s can play 6 and vice versa and Thompson can play 8 very well too. But none of our first choice back rows are opensides bar Thompson unless we are fast tracking Reffell and Gough.
I don't think that would be fast tracking in Reffell's case. In the limited chances he got this season he looked physically up to the challenge and played well. Can't see a problem with him being rotated into the backrow to start gaining experience.

Having another experienced openside would free up Thompson to cover 6 and 8 a bit as well which given the attrition rate of backrowers in the modern game and the uncertainty over Denton might be useful. I like the look of Richard Hardwick at the Rebels. Under the radar a little as Hooper and Pocock grab the headlines. At 24 be a good age to sign him up as Thompson is now 32 and our lads coming through are all quite young still, would potentially work well in terms of succession planning.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Reffell will be 20/21 next season.
He should be ready to step up without calling it rushing.
The Curry twins and Earl are only a year older and I would have them all at Tigers in a heartbeat.

I like when other do it it's called using the academy but if Tigers look to play a 20 year old it's called fast tracking/Rushing
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:47 pm Reffell will be 20/21 next season.
He should be ready to step up without calling it rushing.
The Curry twins and Earl are only a year older and I would have them all at Tigers in a heartbeat.

I like when other do it it's called using the academy but if Tigers look to play a 20 year old it's called fast tracking/Rushing
Agreed, Reffell and Thompson should be the 7's next season with Gough providing backup
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I meant fast tracking him in the sense of making him our second choice 7 instead of buying one. He performed well but was always behind Thompson,BoC and the occasional 6 who was played there! Is he ready to be that player? Say for instance,God forbid, there's an early long term injury to Guy and he's our first choice 7,is it too soon?