Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: New coaching structure?

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:50 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:55 pm Only saving grace is there will be no relegation next season!
I’ve not seen anything to suggest this, there is a rumour that we will have 13 teams then a Top14 style relegation/promotion playoff system. Sounds quite good to be fair. I also think Healey’s suggestion of 70 minute games instead of 80 is sound but will take some opposition from traditionalists still rife within the RFU.
According to sources there's only going to be a promotion next season. So season 20/21 there wil be 13 teams,only talking point is whether it will be a closed shop for X amount of years or whether it will be bottom/top Championship playoff but I'm 99.9% sure there will be no relegation next season.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:55 pm Only saving grace is there will be no relegation next season!
Is this what has caused the “no change” decision? A year to see how things go without the prospect of relegation? If so it is the worst of all possible decisions.

How about some proper kpi’s for the coaching staff, and some performance management for those who fall behind, failure to lead to non renewal of contracts?

Unless Tigers make the playoffs, next season is a failure, and that means the decision to keep the same coaches will have set the club back by another year, while other clubs continue to move forward.
Valhalla I am coming!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Just watching Saints and though they're behind, it's obvious how much they've improved under a quality head coach. Some of their handling at close quarters is impressive. I still think we've got a lot of talent but they can't thrive with such sub-standard coaching.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Mark62 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:38 pm
Traveller wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:33 pm Interesting looking at Johan Ackermann and what he has achieved at Gloucester in such a short space of time; his second year. He took three years to transform The Bulls (having coached prior to taking on that role). Then the Gloucester Board appoint him as an experienced high calibre DOR. He adds a bit of quality to a stable group of players, second year in the play-offs and more cavalry arriving for 2019-2020. It's not rocket science; the quality of coaching matters.
3 years at Lions not Bulls, the 2nd year at Gloucester but still losing semis by 25 points.

The constant theme with these top sides is consistency of coaching teams and squads of players they have chosen.
Interesting also the comments re David Humphrey’s and his work behind the scenes, which is the role I believe many on here feel that Geordan should be doing
I stand corrected re Lions not Bulls. But a bit picky your point about Gloucester playing away to three time European Champions (who recently demolished Leinster) and losing in a semi. It is progress for Glaws, and more progress, than every other club in the Prem this year bar Saints - who as you point out have invested in an experienced high calibre DOR. Why we are settling with third best coaching staff, at best, is beyond comprehension.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Traveller wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:54 pm
Traveller wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:33 pm Interesting looking at Johan Ackermann and what he has achieved at Gloucester in such a short space of time; his second year. He took three years to transform The Bulls (having coached prior to taking on that role). Then the Gloucester Board appoint him as an experienced high calibre DOR. He adds a bit of quality to a stable group of players, second year in the play-offs and more cavalry arriving for 2019-2020. It's not rocket science; the quality of coaching matters.
3 years at Lions not Bulls, the 2nd year at Gloucester but still losing semis by 25 points.

The constant theme with these top sides is consistency of coaching teams and squads of players they have chosen.
Interesting also the comments re David Humphrey’s and his work behind the scenes, which is the role I believe many on here feel that Geordan should be doing
I stand corrected re Lions not Bulls. But a bit picky your point about Gloucester playing away to three time European Champions (who recently demolished Leinster) and losing in a semi. It is progress for Glaws, and more progress, than every other club in the Prem this year bar Saints - who as you point out have invested in an experienced high calibre DOR. Why we are settling with third best coaching staff, at best, is beyond comprehension.
Erm, what game was that?
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:06 pm
Traveller wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:54 pm

Erm, what game was that?
Do I need to answer or is this a trick question.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

You need to answer it.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

What is progress other than winning silverware in a meaningful fashion and how do you identify it!
Only one team will win the Premiership.
For me Sarries and Exeter both have a basic way of playing that as they have evolved has still remained as foundation, a go to game that everyone knows and is so obvious and annoying in it's repetition for opponents that it's called boring.
When you're called boring then you might be really getting somewhere in my opinion.
Sarries beat Gloucester today by grinding them down and playing off the scraps, Sarries have done it to everyone at times, it's not all they can do but it's something that they do often.
Exeter and Saints were fairly even and then Exeter scored from their typical close range pick and drive to start the process of pulling away on the scoreboard, it'd probably be quicker to find out how many games this season have Exeter not scored a close range pick and drive!
It's like two arm wrestlers going at it whilst one is slowly tickling the other to defeat.
Gloucester and Saints aren't massively different to Leicester but possibly recruited better short term, or make that definitely.
Saints aren't much different to Bristol at this stage and Gloucester aren't much different to Wasps.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:13 pm You need to answer it.
Looks like a trick question to me.

FWIW Sarries’ victory over Leinster in Newcastle was most certainly a demolition (and the Leinster fans around me at St James’ Park were in no doubt of that).
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

+1

FWIW Sarries’ victory over Leinster in Newcastle was most certainly a demolition (and the Leinster fans around me at St James’ Park were in no doubt of that).

I was there too and in the Irish Club afterward- Leinster supporters were of the opinion they were well beaten by a superior team.
Choice of adjectives for are down to the individual but the score line was fairly conclusive.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Grimlish wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:45 am
RagingBull wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:13 pm You need to answer it.

I didn't have the good fortune to be at the game, but it certainly looked like that on tv. Glad someone who was actually there, talking to Leinster fans agrees. England undid Ireland away this year, but they won by just 12 points.

However the simple point I was making was only how coaching makes a difference. Ackermann was an experienced and successful DOR by the time he arrived at Gloucester. Boyd at Saints. It's no guarantee of success, but success is more likely than appointing someone who has no experience in the role or in other senior coaching positions (note Ronan O'Gara learning his trade at The Crusaders and in France). Tigers are a huge club. We should be trying to appoint the very best we can.

To argue that JA hasn't made a very positive impact in only his second year at the club, because his team came 3rd behind Exeter and Saracens in the premiership (their best performance in nearly a decade), and lost to the current European Champions in a semi-final away from home, doesn't seem like a coherent argument to me. But then that's the fun of the forum.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Totally this, Traveller.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

No change to coaching staff
No European competition
No relegation battle.
:smt013
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

2 things Saracens beat Leinster well but personally I wouldn’t describe it as a Demolition, Tigers at Exeter first game of the season was a demolition.

Also I totally agree that Ackerman has done a fine job at Gloucester as has Boyd at Northampton, but even taking that into account they both lost by over 20 points, are imho still considerably closer to Tigers, even after our abysmal season, than they are to Saracens and Exeter
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

wellstiger wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:31 am No change to coaching staff
No European competition
No relegation battle.
:smt013
Have you bothered to look at the quality of clubs that will be playing in the challenge cup next season