Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New coaching structure?

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:43 pm
strawclearer wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:41 pm
jgriffin wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:17 pm
Agree, hoped Bakewell and Blake were on their way!
Certainly if Blake ends up staying, there has been a complete 'about-face' in the last couple of weeks!
Our targets turned us down?

All very worrying if that is the case.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=TTRITH post_id=719376 time=1558702217 user_id=6281]
[url=https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... et-2903201]Well, it sounds like Geordan doesn't want any changes...[/url] its that or the options that were targets are now going elsewhere.

So we're stuck with the poor forwards coaching, frankly pathetic defensive systems that are easy to read and a lack of real investment in the coaching set up.

Ah well, at least they gave us hope of change in the final weeks eh?!
[/quote]

Wow! If Geordan is happy with the current coaching set-up, then I think Tigers are in trouble. I agree totally with your comments on the forwards and the defence, and surely when the Board has the season end review, it must highlight these areas as needing urgent investment in terms of both players [b]and[/b] coaching. Ok, offer Ford a more permanent role if he has helped, but what about the forward play and the defence? Carry on as before - you are having a laugh!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

If, as many believe, coaching is the core root of our issues then we should manage to achieve relegation next year having narrowly missed out this time.
I'm not cynical just experienced
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

So moronic Murphy now has the audacity to basically say he is happy with the coaching status quo! Frankly this is dangerous and the smallest hint of better times to come has now been trashed. Murphy is way out of his depth way out of his skill set, way out of his competence and despite the worst season in Tigers history is allowed to carry on regardless!!!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I'm just bemused why Murphy has said it. If he believes that the coaching team is up to standard (and the reason we came 11th and conceded more points than any other team etc) really had little to do with the quality of coaching, but rather the timing of the coaching team coming together. Why not keep lips sealed and get on preparing for next season. Now he's boxed himself into a corner. If we get off to a flier next season. That's the time to say it. If we don't, then adjust the coaching team.

The fact he goes on to say there may, or may not, be a role for Mike Ford, makes things seem more haphazard. If Ford doesn't join, does that mean we appoint someone in his place?

It's interesting that the coaching team he has confidence in, is made up of a Head Coach; the last (inexperienced) man standing after two years of blood letting. A defence coach who in GM's words "knows the club, is available, and lives locally" (and had previously been banned by the RFU). Possibly Mike Ford; (very experienced) but who was free, is GM's mate and was coming to see matches because his sons were playing, and was appointed latterly on a consultancy basis. Bakewell who appears to have had limited impact. And Boris.

But whether I think the coaching team is good enough or not is irrelevant. The fact that Murphy has gone out of his way to say that it is, unnecessarily, seems to highlight his lack of experience. Nonetheless I think we should stick with him, and make him have more quality support. It is for the BOD to make him appreciate his lack of experience, and make a judgement on what he needs. But that assumes we have a competent BOD.

I am watching the Crusaders (and have just checked the background of their coaching team). The comparison is cruel.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Hang on I’m confused, he literally said on Wednesday he could foresee the coaching team changing quite a lot, with Mike Ford likely staying.

Now come Friday he’s changed his mind completely and saying every is all rosy and fine. I highly doubt Pat Howard advised for things to carry on as they were.
Carver510

Post by Carver510 »

Knightonian wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:06 pm Listening to the interview on the podcast Geordie thinks he has s good coaching team and it is more to do with learning and pre season

He doesn’t suggest getting new people in bar Mike Ford

However..

I think Les Cusworth summarised it well what’s the plan !! From the top down.

He loves Geordie but feels he’s been thrown into the fire

He wants a world class DOR

Thinks Matt shouldn’t be Academy coach and if they think he could be they should get him a mentor and someone to follow for a few years then give him the job (invest for success)

He talks a lot of sense, why do people seem to think that you can be a world class coach and leader at the highest level without any experience

We need significant change; Geordie and Matt are as much Tigers as any supporter so I know we will get the passion, commitment and love coming through from them BUT we also need a 5 year plan with tacticians who can deliver success
If anyone hasn't, I'd strongly recommend listening to Les Cusworth's thoughts on the whole situation on the RL Tigers podcast - it's hard to argue with anything that he said.

When asked if we should go for Mike Ford or of someone similar, his response was no - if you want success and trophies you need to aim high and go for a world class DOR - if you settle for coaches who do not have a world class record of trophies/wins/performances, then you will find yourself mid-table at best.

Look at the turnaround at Gloucester and Northampton - they are building towards something and it's exciting.

I'd be surprised if Cheika came in, but if he or another world class coach come in, to suggest they would come and work under GM is laughable.

GM is a legend of the club. We all want to support GM. GM was put into a position he wasn't ready for - you can't blame him for accepting the offer - sometimes you have to take advantage of opportunities that come your way.

As much as I have enormous respect for GM and can sympathise with what has been a truly difficult year for him, I just worry that if nothing much changes, we are in for a few more difficult years. I always thought GM would benefit from going elsewhere and building up his experience. The problem is, the experience is being built with our club and we avoided relegation by 1 place this season. It could be a rocky few years ahead.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Great. More of the same next season then.

Ps Bakewell wasn't 'thrown in' -he's been completely ineffective for two years now. Almost as ineffective as Geordan has been in every coaching role he's been in at Tigers. It really pains me to say that but it's true.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

POSTIGER wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:02 pm Great. More of the same next season then.
I’m increasing having visions of a train heading down the tracks towards a gorge where the bridge is missing...hope I’m wrong (or building that bridge is planned...)
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Only saving grace is there will be no relegation next season!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Interesting looking at Johan Ackermann and what he has achieved at Gloucester in such a short space of time; his second year. He took three years to transform The Bulls (having coached prior to taking on that role). Then the Gloucester Board appoint him as an experienced high calibre DOR. He adds a bit of quality to a stable group of players, second year in the play-offs and more cavalry arriving for 2019-2020. It's not rocket science; the quality of coaching matters.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Traveller wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:33 pm Interesting looking at Johan Ackermann and what he has achieved at Gloucester in such a short space of time; his second year. He took three years to transform The Bulls (having coached prior to taking on that role). Then the Gloucester Board appoint him as an experienced high calibre DOR. He adds a bit of quality to a stable group of players, second year in the play-offs and more cavalry arriving for 2019-2020. It's not rocket science; the quality of coaching matters.
3 years at Lions not Bulls, the 2nd year at Gloucester but still losing semis by 25 points.

The constant theme with these top sides is consistency of coaching teams and squads of players they have chosen.
Interesting also the comments re David Humphrey’s and his work behind the scenes, which is the role I believe many on here feel that Geordan should be doing
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:55 pm Only saving grace is there will be no relegation next season!
I’ve not seen anything to suggest this, there is a rumour that we will have 13 teams then a Top14 style relegation/promotion playoff system. Sounds quite good to be fair. I also think Healey’s suggestion of 70 minute games instead of 80 is sound but will take some opposition from traditionalists still rife within the RFU.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Those quotes from Geordie make for terrifying reading, how deep in the sand does your head have to be to think Phil Blake is doing a good job?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:00 pm Those quotes from Geordie make for terrifying reading, how deep in the sand does your head have to be to think Phil Blake is doing a good job?
Does he say he's been doing a good job? I thought he just said he joined during the season and found it tough with no preseason. The lack of an announcement on a contract extension hints at him not being rated that highly.

I'd have thought Ford Snr would takeover the defensive duties as part of his role and Blake allowed to leave as he only signed a short term contract.

I'd prefer more change than that but that's the minimum I'd expect.