Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Bodies

Post by Traveller »

Language matters.

Once again Geordan refers to the club having "more bodies" scheduled to join. They are not "bodies", they are players, with aspirations, mothers, fathers, wives, children etc.

At a time when we are in a hugely competitive market place and talent has choices, the language a leader uses says something about an organisation, its vision and aspirations.

I can't imagine hearing Pep Guardiola refer to bringing in "bodies", or Hansen with the AB's.

What is more aspirational, "we have some very strong characters about to join Tigers",or "we have some gifted and ambitious young men about to join Tigers", or "we've got some more bodies".

It says something about who we are and perhaps explains why we assume that "bodies" will be satisfied with second rate coaching.
Tigerbeat

Re: Bodies

Post by Tigerbeat »

He is probably using it in a general terminology and could mean, players, coaches, medical, conditioning people to join without giving the specifics away. Have no problem with the term bodies as it will all become apparent in time. May not just be men that are being brought in.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Traveller wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:20 pm Language matters.

Once again Geordan refers to the club having "more bodies" scheduled to join. They are not "bodies", they are players, with aspirations, mothers, fathers, wives, children etc.

At a time when we are in a hugely competitive market place and talent has choices, the language a leader uses says something about an organisation, its vision and aspirations.

I can't imagine hearing Pep Guardiola refer to bringing in "bodies", or Hansen with the AB's.

What is more aspirational, "we have some very strong characters about to join Tigers",or "we have some gifted and ambitious young men about to join Tigers", or "we've got some more bodies".

It says something about who we are and perhaps explains why we assume that "bodies" will be satisfied with second rate coaching.
He used young men a couple of times.

I can’t imagine they’ll be bothered anyway. Not unless they’re snowflakes.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

I do agree with Traveller that it’s an annoying word in this context. MoC used it a lot. I don’t think it sets a great tone.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Traveller wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:20 pm Language matters.

I normally abhor the 'faux outrage' and pedantry that the 'liberal elite' are prone to using but - I think Traveller is right. Language does matter. I'm old enough to remember when 'Personnel' became 'Human Resources' - never was there a more awful nomenclature and I banned its use from every company where I had the clout to do so!

So - Geordan - as Traveller says "they are players, with aspirations, mothers, fathers, wives, children etc." :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Or it’s just a term of phrase that he used and didn’t think twice about and wonders why people are getting up tight about something so trivial.

Next we’ll be saying stop calling players Boys, which many coaches do, because they are men, or don’t have pride in the Jersey because it’s a shirt :smt015
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Mark62 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:14 am Or it’s just a term of phrase that he used and didn’t think twice about and wonders why people are getting up tight about something so trivial.

Next we’ll be saying stop calling players Boys, which many coaches do, because they are men, or don’t have pride in the Jersey because it’s a shirt :smt015
Well in this day and age, can we presume they are men? What if they are gender fluid? :smt017
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

There are female physio and conditioning staff in the sport and the Team Manager is Theresa so it cannot be dismissed or taken that they are male references.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:20 am There are female physio and conditioning staff in the sport and the Team Manager is Theresa so it cannot be dismissed or taken that they are male references.
Exactly and in a generation where we cannot presume what sex they are or who they are, bodies seems to be the best way to describe it as people may not class themselves as people. :smt003
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

1989Tiger wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:18 am
Mark62 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:14 am Or it’s just a term of phrase that he used and didn’t think twice about and wonders why people are getting up tight about something so trivial.

Well in this day and age, can we presume they are men? What if they are gender fluid? :smt017
Used to make me smile when players were confronted by a lady ref for the first time.
What do we call her Miss, Mrs, then half of them used to call her Sir anyway :smt046
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

These lads are coming here mostly for the money (as it's not like we're going to be winning anything for a few years), I imagine you could call them Susan and they wouldn't care as long as their nice big cheque arrives last Friday of every month.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Can’t imagine the CEO of Goldman Sachs saying he’s hired some top quality bodies. Or as per the earlier example, Pep Guardiola. They talk of top talent and exciting things to come.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Goshengareth wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:11 pm Can’t imagine the CEO of Goldman Sachs saying he’s hired some top quality bodies. Or as per the earlier example, Pep Guardiola. They talk of top talent and exciting things to come.
Not sure David Solomans in terms of hiring is the best example given what happened with his Personal assistant.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

This is such a ridiculous thread!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Speaking as one who might be described, inaccurately, as a 'liberal' (do people know what one is?), though certainly not 'elite', nor a 'snowflake' (having happily bopped the odd person or three in my time), I don't find 'bodies' massively offensive, but perhaps a little short on PR-speak sensibility. In the education trade we occasionally don't say student numbers in a class, but 'bums on seats' or even (forbid!) 'bodies'. Many occupations have their darker humour and euphemisms (e.g. brown bread, rats-in-blankets), many have what are clearly gender-free terms (like workers or bodies).
I feel we can give Smurf the benefit of the doubt here, with the added cachet that he seems to belong to the Diamond-Cockers School of Diplomacy.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.