New coaching structure?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: New coaching structure?

Post by Mark62 »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:42 pm I really think the club needs stability but admit the signings so far( when you look at the stats: not a 5 minute video exert) compared to what Sale, Irish and other clubs are signing. If Denton and TV’s careers may be over then we have huge problems. We had a very good coach in Cockerill who was never given the backing by The Board that had become concerned with the losses we were making. I can only judge Geordan when he has a full, highly qualified team behind him. I think it was George Chuter who said, “ Tigers have an A4 sheet of paper for recruitment where other clubs have pages of analytical info( spreadsheets).”
TVs career over what have I missed
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:07 pm What does everyone think of a potential Rowntree,Haig,Murphy,Ford,Stanko team? If Stanko was scrum coach and Rowntree forwards what roles would the other 3 fit into? I do genuinely think Graham is nailed on to return,not 100% sure on Milton though.
I think that could work.
DoR - Murphy
Attack Coach - M Haig
Forward Coach - G Rowntree
Defence Coach - M Ford
Scrum Coach - B Stankovich

Haig has a decent reputation from his time back in NZ, and latterly with Georgia. Rowntree is also respected too, albeit the England and Quins scrums were perceived to have improved after he moved on, but that’s Stanko’s domain with us anyhow.

Not that I think it’s the answer, but I hadn’t realised Booth was leaving Bath (assuming the comment further back is true). Well, Brad Davis is also leaving Ospreys and was linked with us previously. What chance the old Bath coaches reunite. Ford’s background makes him quite flexible in you could see him fitting in as head coach, Attack coach or defence coach. This is nothing more than idle speculation based on availability.
DoR - G Murphy
Attack Coach - M Ford
Forward Coach - T Booth
Defence Coach - B Davis
Scrum Coach - B Stankovich

As a side note, on the subject of Cheika potentially coming and wanting his own way with his own players, surely he’ll have been made aware of the politics of what’s required of him and where he sits in the hierarchy well before agreeing to come.

Here’s an extra observation. If we believe any new HC/DoR coming in to work with Murphy, you’d assume they may have had some input to recruitment, is it a coincidence we've signed/signing Taute, Leibenberg & Viljoen, with media rumours there may be more South Africans coming (albeit I may have misinterpreted that actually just being Viljoen), could the new Coach be South African?
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

I'd throw Louis deacon into the forwards mix, former Tiger enforcer not too proud to step down into National 1 to learn the trade, now coaching in the Championship and making a difference to that squad. Keep the big money for an attack and defence coach, scrum is fine, shift Murphy to be the DoR role for stability, especially as he can't coach - fact!!
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

DingDong wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:35 am I'd throw Louis deacon into the forwards mix, former Tiger enforcer not too proud to step down into National 1 to learn the trade, now coaching in the Championship and making a difference to that squad. Keep the big money for an attack and defence coach, scrum is fine, shift Murphy to be the DoR role for stability, especially as he can't coach - fact!!
It’s not a fact though is it. It’s your opinion.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

1989Tiger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:40 am
DingDong wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:35 am I'd throw Louis deacon into the forwards mix, former Tiger enforcer not too proud to step down into National 1 to learn the trade, now coaching in the Championship and making a difference to that squad. Keep the big money for an attack and defence coach, scrum is fine, shift Murphy to be the DoR role for stability, especially as he can't coach - fact!!
Virtually an entire season in charge and the worst performances in Tigers professional and amateur era's, no improvement whatsoever with a squad full of internationals, and only saved from relegation by the skin of our teeth. Those are facts, and anyone with an ounce of coaching ability with the squad we have wouldn't finish in that situation, even with the injuries and internationals. Apart from losing, Murphy's only other consistency was the pre-match boring rhetoric followed by the dull excuses post match. But don't let facts get in the way of blind sentimentality eh?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

DingDong wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:26 am
Virtually an entire season in charge and the worst performances in Tigers professional and amateur era's, no improvement whatsoever with a squad full of internationals, and only saved from relegation by the skin of our teeth. Those are facts, and anyone with an ounce of coaching ability with the squad we have wouldn't finish in that situation, even with the injuries and internationals. Apart from losing, Murphy's only other consistency was the pre-match boring rhetoric followed by the dull excuses post match. But don't let facts get in the way of blind sentimentality eh?
I think by now the stats speak for themselves, was never a good skills coach and surely this season has shown he can’t be a head coach.

Great guy, was a great player and also has a great vision for the club. DOR material all day long.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Unless you’ve been at the training ground throughout the season then I won’t really listen to your view points on it. No offence.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:33 am

I think by now the stats speak for themselves, was never a good skills coach and surely this season has shown he can’t be a head coach.

Great guy, was a great player and also has a great vision for the club. DOR material all day long.
The last DOR we had, did the coaching too.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Times change, we need to stop comparing Murphy to Cockers and move on!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Murphy says on BBC RL the coaching team will change "quite a lot" over the summer.

He adds player recruitment is "the toughest jigsaw I’ve encountered. When you look at rosters, it’s so complex because you’ve got a finite resources, and we need to get bang for our buck in each position.

Murphy on future of Mike Ford, who joined as a 'consultant coach': "Mike’s on holiday. He’s been good; we’ve enjoyed having him here. We’ll have discussions with Mike, if we could offer him something that worked for all parties, I’m sure there would be an avenue for him to stay.

Murphy on his own future, and what role he may have: "Head coach is my title at the moment, and I haven’t discussed that with the CEO. I don’t really care what you call me, as long as I’m doing the right thing for the club. Whatever it takes – I’ll get it done.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I remember another poster who used to go on about Cockerill all the time! :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Absolutely agree with people who say GM should be the DOR - he has the vision and what is just as important he can sell it to prospective players from all accounts. Mike Ford must stay for me, either as a head coach or defence coach a role he fill with great success with the Lions. If they want him as defence coach then I would go for Milton Haig as head coach (something I said 2 years ago when people were after RC's head)
Hehehehehehehehe
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

So Blake is out of contract, we know, what about Bakewell?
If they are both coming out of contract, then change is inevitable.
If Bakewell is still in contract, are we really likely to pay him off?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

How long has he been here,2 years?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Bakewell has another year I believe.