Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Post by LE18 »

Scuttle wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:11 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:06 pm
Scuttle wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Struggling to get to what/who he means. Assume sarcasm about the lack of support shown by some fans.
I think the 'mint people' are his team-mates and the 'thanks' to the supporters are genuine.
I thought the same about the "mint " people. I recall he has been more ambivalent about some supporters in the past but would be happy to believe your interpretation as a more experienced observer on this Forum 😆
No no, he's sponsored by Fox's Glacier Mints and thanking them for doing so, keeps him out of the "cap". :smt005
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:36 pm The Leicester props arnt as strong? Of course they are! If you look at Afoa,he's the lowest scrummaging TH I've ever seen,it's not his strength thats ever had LH in trouble,like with Alex Corbisiero on the other side it was his incredible body angle. And that's what suits Thacker,Genge and Cole are definitely more powerful scrummagers than the Bristol pair,it's just like I said their awkward technique.
I think we also overlook the lack of grunt from our second rows. Spencer aside I would argue none of ours contributed to the required level in the scrum (or in the loose for that matter)
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

mol2 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:06 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:36 pm The Leicester props arnt as strong? Of course they are! If you look at Afoa,he's the lowest scrummaging TH I've ever seen,it's not his strength thats ever had LH in trouble,like with Alex Corbisiero on the other side it was his incredible body angle. And that's what suits Thacker,Genge and Cole are definitely more powerful scrummagers than the Bristol pair,it's just like I said their awkward technique.
I think we also overlook the lack of grunt from our second rows. Spencer aside I would argue none of ours contributed to the required level in the scrum (or in the loose for that matter)
The difference with Bristol seems to be more with Afoa and Thomas.
The Leicester locks have been fine with other hookers.
I think it might as much about the technical fit as grunt.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Perhaps we should rethink the focus on props ability in the scrum?
In the last game against Bath for example there were only 6 scrums, however there were over 450 breakdowns, and Tigers attempted 230 tackles (missing 35). These days the props have to be able to contribute more in open play rather than the set-piece.
You often see the ref saying "use it" rather than penalising a collapsed scrum, I'm not sure a dominant scrum is the weapon it used to be.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

I'm not sure a dominant scrum is the weapon it used to be
Yet on Saturday Bath set up their final attack on our lines from a penalty given at a collapsed scrum.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It's a balancing act drc. How many scrum penalties have we won only to blow the ensuing attacking lineout?! Its a fact now that the backrow has taken over the front row as the packs most important unit but there's still a place for a dominant front row if we can make the most of it!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Worcester scrum penalty was the deciding moment of their game too. I agree we need a mobile pack who can compete at the breakdown but we need to avoid giving penalties away as scrum time as a minimum.