How to solve South Africa’s player exodus?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

How to solve South Africa’s player exodus?

Post by JP14 »

Some on here have a very Inspector Calls capitalist view of South Africa at the moment, that we should exploit the weak rand and sign loads of big Saffas to solve all of our current problems. While the signings of Liebenberg and Viljoen will improve our squad, I don’t want to see the Tigers taking advantage of my second favourite national rugby team.

As I’ve said before, the rand is weak, meaning clubs can’t keep players in the country and it’s currently not an attractive environment for sugar daddies to invest in (plus that model is not sustainable). SA Rugby’s rigorous enforcement of national player selection could convince some players to return home à la Toomua but not enough players are going to come back that way and it’s not really good player-wise or fanwise.

To stop one of the great rugby nations suffering and maintain the competitiveness of Super Rugby, I believe World Rugby should intervene and limit the amount of players clubs can sign from a certain country (not just South Africa but also the Pacific Islands), thus making Super Rugby more attractive to investment and coverage as more star players will stay and it will make the international game more competitive.

Thoughts?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: How to solve South Africa’s player exodus?

Post by MikeR »

Dream on . Players will follow the money .
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

South Africa to join 6N and drop Italy.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

JP14 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:56 pm Some on here have a very Inspector Calls capitalist view of South Africa at the moment, that we should exploit the weak rand and sign loads of big Saffas to solve all of our current problems. While the signings of Liebenberg and Viljoen will improve our squad, I don’t want to see the Tigers taking advantage of my second favourite national rugby team.

As I’ve said before, the rand is weak, meaning clubs can’t keep players in the country and it’s currently not an attractive environment for sugar daddies to invest in (plus that model is not sustainable). SA Rugby’s rigorous enforcement of national player selection could convince some players to return home à la Toomua but not enough players are going to come back that way and it’s not really good player-wise or fanwise.

To stop one of the great rugby nations suffering and maintain the competitiveness of Super Rugby, I believe World Rugby should intervene and limit the amount of players clubs can sign from a certain country (not just South Africa but also the Pacific Islands), thus making Super Rugby more attractive to investment and coverage as more star players will stay and it will make the international game more competitive.

Thoughts?
Are you arguing that a talented 26 year old SA / Samoan rugby player with a wife and two young children should not have the freedom to decide where to work and earn a living?
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

JP14 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:56 pm Some on here have a very Inspector Calls capitalist view of South Africa at the moment, that we should exploit the weak rand and sign loads of big Saffas to solve all of our current problems. While the signings of Liebenberg and Viljoen will improve our squad, I don’t want to see the Tigers taking advantage of my second favourite national rugby team.

Thoughts?
Are you arguing that a talented 26 year old SA / Samoan rugby player with a wife and two young children should not have the freedom to decide where to work and earn a living?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

As ever Traveller you offer a compelling argument, for I which I will reply, the money talks and if there is no money talking they the majority of Saffas/Samoans will not want to leave, plus I suggested a limit not a complete ban, also I would only want it to be a temporary measure.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Thoughts?
You might want it, but you wont get it. Why should players not chase the money?

I am more than happy to exploit the weak rand. If the boot was on the other foot, the S.A. clubs would do the same
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Unfortunately, D4, the SA clubs would probably do the same if it was the other way round.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

JP14 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:33 pm As ever Traveller you offer a compelling argument, for I which I will reply, the money talks and if there is no money talking they the majority of Saffas/Samoans will not want to leave, plus I suggested a limit not a complete ban, also I would only want it to be a temporary measure.
South Africa are my second team too (I'm English / Irish). 2007 World Cup Final. I was in the Marriott on the Champs Elysee with the Saffers after the game with my best mate and his family who are SA. One of the best night of my life. Already sorted Lions trip with him in 2021. So I take no pleasure from seeing what is happening to SA rugby.

But wherever you draw the line - it is an arbitrary line and means that at the boundary another 26 year old Saffer with two kids and only six more years in the game won't be able to exploit his talent to the full. Why only rugby players? Why not architects? Bankers? Teachers? Nurses? Journalists?

What has to happen is SA is the graft of the ANC needs to be curtailed. The word 'Tenderpreneur' is a uniquely SA concept. Cyril Ramaphosa has a huge job ahead of him but he is an impressive man. SA is a wonderful country but it is broken politically and needs to be fixed.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

JP14 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:33 pm As ever Traveller you offer a compelling argument, for I which I will reply, the money talks and if there is no money talking they the majority of Saffas/Samoans will not want to leave, plus I suggested a limit not a complete ban, also I would only want it to be a temporary measure.
South Africa are my second team too (I'm English / Irish). 2007 World Cup Final. I was in the Marriott on the Champs Elysee with the Saffers after the game with my best mate and his family who are SA. One of the best night of my life. Already sorted Lions trip with him in 2021. So I take no pleasure from seeing what is happening to SA rugby.

But wherever you draw the line - it is an arbitrary line and means that at the boundary another 26 year old Saffer with two kids and only six more years in the game won't be able to exploit his talent to the full. Why only rugby players? Why not architects? Bankers? Teachers? Nurses? Journalists?

What has to happen is SA is the graft of the ANC needs to be curtailed. The word 'Tenderpreneur' is a uniquely SA concept. Cyril Ramaphosa has a huge job ahead of him but he is an impressive man. SA is a wonderful country but it is broken politically and needs to be fixed.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

SA are my second team too. What did Meyer say "Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" SA to a tee!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I'm not sure that the South African Economy is something the Premiership can resolve.

A more legitimate question is the Kolpak agreement justifiable?

If these players were coming from the USA rather than South Africa they would have to demonstrably be of a higher level to get a work permit. Thus a large number of professional rugby players of sub-international standard are plying their trade in the UK.

Personally I think the more pertinent question is that harming domestic players progress, either by restricting opportunities for home grown players or limiting salaries for those players, some of whom may decide that they are better off going to Uni rather than taking a 10 or 15 years out to play pro rugby and are lost to England.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Thoughts, mmmmm.

English and European Rugby will be having it's own issues soon enough so that would take prioity.

SA rugby will always struggle due to politics.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'm with RB,there's a storm coming domestically. I personally foresee a future where our international team falls away with a domestic league championship chock full of superstars and money,I think there's another sport like that out there!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:24 pm I'm with RB,there's a storm coming domestically. I personally foresee a future where our international team falls away with a domestic league championship chock full of superstars and money,I think there's another sport like that out there!
I can certainly foresee big changes, but I wonder where that will leave us? :smt017 :smt017