Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 pm Mahoney did struggle with concussion though BFG.
As do a lot of players which is an even stronger case for a good rotation policy, horses for courses in particular which Leicester do seem to have a big problem adapting to with their automatic starter policy.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Scuttle wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:57 am Lewis Moody in The Mail sums it up well.

https://newsdesk.moreover.com/click/?p= ... 57bb856c03
Lewis is a fully paid up Old Boys Association member, his praise of Smurph is hardly a surprise given the fact they have been best friends over many years.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I am amazed by BFG's about turn, he spent years complaing that Harry Thackers lack of size was a liability, eventually MOC agreed with him and signed Taf Polata-nau as back up hooker. McGuigan was injured for most of that season so was out of the reckoning. MOC told Harry he was not big enough, Harry did not agree and was rarely selected after that discussion, result Harry goes. At this stage I don't think Jake Kerr is better than Tom Youngs but that could change by this time next year. I agree with BFG that Mahoney has always looked good when used but he has been injured for practically all this season, there maybe underlying health problems behind his release. With so few actual matches for those above Academy age and not yet in first team contention retaining young players not involved at the higher level or have too many better players in their position ahead of them just denies them the opportunity to develop with much needed game time and obstructs the progress of the next tier of youngsters coming through.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:09 pm Nail. Hit. Head BFG,this is what scares me about Geordie. Will certain players always get a starting spot because of who they are even if it's at the expense of the team?
I suspect Geordie is a bit harder/tougher/steelier than many give him credit for. I've had to explain to a few people over the years that, if they don't consign sentimentality to the dustbin - their own job will be on the line.

Will Geordie be able to make the difficult choices? Yes - I think he will. :smt027
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:36 pm I am amazed by BFG's about turn, he spent years complaing that Harry Thackers lack of size was a liability, eventually MOC agreed with him and signed Taf Polata-nau as back up hooker. McGuigan was injured for most of that season so was out of the reckoning. MOC told Harry he was not big enough, Harry did not agree and was rarely selected after that discussion, result Harry goes. At this stage I don't think Jake Kerr is better than Tom Youngs but that could change by this time next year. I agree with BFG that Mahoney has always looked good when used but he has been injured for practically all this season, there maybe underlying health problems behind his release. With so few actual matches for those above Academy age and not yet in first team contention retaining young players not involved at the higher level or have too many better players in their position ahead of them just denies them the opportunity to develop with much needed game time and obstructs the progress of the next tier of youngsters coming through.
It's not an about turn and so don't try and make it out to be one, I still think Thacker was a scrum liability for Leicester against the stronger scrummaging sides, but still he was performing much better than OTY in every other facet of the game and common sense tells me that he was the better option against lesser powerful scrums.
The main point is though that without game time a player is never going to improve those areas that need improvement anyway.
The other puzzling thing about how the whole scenario has played out is that the Bristol props of Afoa and Thomas do appear to be a bit better equipped to cope which as a viewer this season might indicate to me that the Leicester props aren't as strong.
Being involved in the process that's the kind of expertise and foresight that the top coaches are paid to possess, and not me as just an outside viewer.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The Leicester props arnt as strong? Of course they are! If you look at Afoa,he's the lowest scrummaging TH I've ever seen,it's not his strength thats ever had LH in trouble,like with Alex Corbisiero on the other side it was his incredible body angle. And that's what suits Thacker,Genge and Cole are definitely more powerful scrummagers than the Bristol pair,it's just like I said their awkward technique.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:36 pm The Leicester props arnt as strong? Of course they are! If you look at Afoa,he's the lowest scrummaging TH I've ever seen,it's not his strength thats ever had LH in trouble,like with Alex Corbisiero on the other side it was his incredible body angle. And that's what suits Thacker,Genge and Cole are definitely more powerful scrummagers than the Bristol pair,it's just like I said their awkward technique.
I do agree with you and I should clarify that I meant stronger as in overall technique and not just strength.
It's a jigsaw puzzle that coaches are paid to complete.
Having watched a lot of rugby this season though something is evident to me, the two experienced Bristol props have been able to adapt or Thacker has got better with the game time, or both are playing out at the same time.
Sarries did give the Bristol scrum a proper going over earlier in the season and so with more time a clearer picture should emerge.
I am not one of the people being paid to possess that kind of foresight.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

We've all tried our best to sum up the season but I don't think any of us have topped Gengey's tweet a few moments ago...

":censored: season with mint people, thanks for the support."
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

An absolute nightmare from start to finish. That's the good part.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

strawclearer wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:15 pm We've all tried our best to sum up the season but I don't think any of us have topped Gengey's tweet a few moments ago...

‘Nuff said.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

A complete embarassment served up by a lot of incompetent people. :smt013 :smt013
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

strawclearer wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:15 pm We've all tried our best to sum up the season but I don't think any of us have topped Gengey's tweet a few moments ago...

Struggling to get to what/who he means. Assume sarcasm about the lack of support shown by some fans.
As Good As It Gets
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Scuttle wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Struggling to get to what/who he means. Assume sarcasm about the lack of support shown by some fans.
I think the 'mint people' are his team-mates and the 'thanks' to the supporters are genuine.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

strawclearer wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:06 pm

I think the 'mint people' are his team-mates and the 'thanks' to the supporters are genuine.
I thought the same about the "mint " people. I recall he has been more ambivalent about some supporters in the past but would be happy to believe your interpretation as a more experienced observer on this Forum 😆
As Good As It Gets
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Scuttle wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:11 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:06 pm

I thought the same about the "mint " people. I recall he has been more ambivalent about some supporters in the past but would be happy to believe your interpretation as a more experienced observer on this Forum 😆
Quite right! :smt003