Graham Kitchener

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Graham Kitchener

Post by ay2oh »

Just watched the LTTV interview with Kitch after yesterday’s game. He seems absolutely gutted to be leaving. Good luck at Worcester and you will always be welcome back at Welford Road :smt045
A2O
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Graham Kitchener

Post by kpj tiger »

Sad to see Kitch leave, he might not have regularly performed to his pretty high standards for the last couple seasons but he still gave his all, will also add I think he actually played some of his best rugby for a while at the tail end of this season.

Hope he goes well back at Worcester
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Made it to the EPS for a short while but never kicked on from there.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

His form was pretty good towards the end of the season but he hasn’t performed at his best standards for a while.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

..just seemed too nice - the term 'gentle giant' fitted the guy perfectly.Had all the physical attributes and the raw talent yet something was missing perhaps in terms of mindset.When he first came to us was kinda heralded as the next 'big thing' and in truth did for a time look the part - but we have to look at those around him also.The likes of Croft ,Parling ,Salvi, Mafi Thorn,Newby etc would be of help to anyone. 'Kitch' made his contribution though and was an absolute pleasure to speak too - always having time for the supporters.
Toward the end of his time here a little unjustly demonised , I think.I also think he'll be missed.
Best of luck at Worcester.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Great effort by Kitch. Look at what happened in close games when he and Cole went off: lost a 9 point lead v Bath and lost v Bristol. Pretty sure the same thing happened in the crucial game away at Worcester as I was moaning about the players taken off when there were only a few minutes to go.
Callum Green will now be the main man to organise the lineout. Kitch had a very good discipline too . I hope he enjoys playing with his brother who, from the times I’ve seen him, could be in the England squad soon.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I too would like to wish him well, I was always a fan, sadly he came in for some unjustified criticism by some who obviously did not see the skills he had in the lineout. Yes he was no world beater but he was a very good lineout organiser and i'm not sure that Callum Green is as good.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

LE18 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:32 pm i'm not sure that Callum Green is as good.
Perhaps he is better in open play if not then why did we sign him?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I hope Kitch rediscovers his best form at Worcester.

At his best for Tigers he was terrific when playing alongside strong second row partners. As a jumper in a lineout with Parling and Croft involved he was lethal, stealing ball and taking fantastic one handed grabs. Once those players moved on and he needed to seize that first choice lock role he faltered. Likely why he's just missed out on full international honours.

A great player for Tigers at his best even if we haven't seen near that form for a couple of seasons. He's been such a constant that it's easy to forget he's been at Tigers for 8 seasons! Cheers Kitch and all the best with Warriors.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

sapajo wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:37 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:32 pm i'm not sure that Callum Green is as good.
Perhaps he is better in open play if not then why did we sign him?
He's an Ex-Tiger.....of course.

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/statis ... yer-stats/ (scroll down if it doesn't open on the lineout stat)

Top of the lineouts won stat for this season with 84 won (Ed Slater next on 80 - who most would have back in a heartbeat). Not the be all and end all I know, and doesn't necessarily indicate an ability to run/ call the lineout - but it's a start.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Good luck to Kitch, always a favourite of mine but not blind to his form dip(s) in recent years. Still sad to see him go.

Seem to recall one of his second row partners stating that If Kitch had been born a Kiwi he'd have been an All Black...... and I'd take that person's opinion over most others - even if it was just some politeness.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.